Guest viewing is limited

THR From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day #12 Post Op Report
It's been a couple of days since my last report, and I'm happy to report all is good :yes!: I spent the weekend pretty much just relaxing, walking around the house, icing and elevating and have been sleeping though the night without the need for pain meds (yay)! I was a little sore following my Friday PT session, mostly felt in my groin, but it only lasted that day, was gone by Saturday. On Mother's Day, I went on a 45 minute car ride (with someone else driving) to visit some other family members, so just brought along my ice packs for the trip, and all went very well. I stuck the packs in the freezer while I was visiting and had them nice and cold for the trip back home - and I think it really helped as I didn't notice any new soreness, pain or being overly tired from the little adventure!!

This morning's PT was good - again, we're taking it easy with just 4mins of bike pedaling, sitting and standing leg raises, leg lifts, etc. I'm getting a little better at lifting my operated leg from a chair seat position, though I still feel it in my groin, and can only lift my leg about an inch off the floor. I'm listening to my body though, and am not pushing this, as I've already noticed that it is so much easier to do than it was just last week. Baby steps :yes:

I plan to spend today walking just a little bit more than last week (including outside) and then relaxing, icing, elevating. I'm starting to get a bit stir crazy though, so I'm going to do my best to keep myself occupied so that I don't overdo it!

Hope all of my fellow hippies are doing well - and that everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sound awesome. How long will you be in florida? I am having major anxiety.. Ughhh one week from today!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
What's up Hipster? Sounds like your coming along fine. I'm also trying to lower my dosage of this pain medicine. It's a little more difficult for me because I had my right hip replacement on January 30th of this year and now my left one was on the 30th of April like you. My left hip was bone on bone so I couldn't do much physical therapy with my right hip replacement so it's not as strong as it should be. But I'm getting better cooking cleaning and walking and doing therapy 3 times a week with in house therapy. I'm hoping to be off walker and on to a Cain in a couple of weeks. I'm working both hips this time and it's a job but I believe I will press forward to regain a pain free life of mobilization. Each day or so things get better and better doesn't it. Well take care hipster and see you on life fast highway soon (:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @psychteach I plan to remain in FL until sometime in June. I totally get the pre-surgery anxiety (I think we've all been there!!) just do your best to keep busy to get your mind off things and know that you are on your way to a new lease on life!! One of the things I did to keep busy was to organize my kindle books, music and other media - and of course, I went through all the BS lists of things recommended to help during recuperation (ice bags, etc), so it really helped me focus my energy on the recovery and away from the nervous anxiety!! Hope this helps!!
 
@hipster_chic well done Lisa. You sound like your recovery is going so well and the fact your getting out and about is great. I know what you mean about stir crazy - can be hard looking at the same four walls all the time but I guess you gotta remember it is for the best in the long run. :)
 
I want to do the bike too!
My hip flexor is still weak.
The knee lift exercise is hard! Wonder if the upright bike would be good?
Did you begin by pedaling backwards at first?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi my PT is using a little set of bike pedals that sits on the floor, not a "real" bike, so not sure how I'd do on an upright at this point! But it does feel good after the first few spins - I start out a little stiff on the operative leg, and after a few pedals it starts getting easier to the point that it actually feels good!! I'm not pushing the exercises on the leg lifts as it tends to make me really sore the following day, as I'm finding that my operative leg seems to be improving on the up and down leg lifts by itself :yes: A few days post op, I had to struggle to get my operative leg in bed, but this week it's SO much easier! Hope this helps - and I'll keep you posted as I go.
 
Day #13 Report
Today I graduated from the walker to the CANE....yipeeeee! :wowspring:I'm so happy - it makes me feel like I'm making progress, not to mention that I was getting a little tired of navigating the clumsy walker!! So yeah, I'm one happy camper today!

I had my PT appointment this morning and was able to go 6mins on the little pedal bike, and do all of my other exercises. The leg lifts on my operated side are still a challenge, but it does get better each session. My therapist also feels like I'm ready for outpatient PT, so I'm going to discuss with Dr G at my appointment next week. Dr G has a specific protocol for Superpath patients, so it'll be good to get started on the stretching and other exercises he recommends. Walking on the cane feels good - I'm able to really put all my weight on my operated leg without discomfort, so I'll continue to use it, and will keep the walker handy just in case I need it. The really really nice thing is to be able to walk without the arthritis pain! I can deal with the healing/post op pain, but to walk without the crunching, grinding, lurching and pinching from O/A...priceless!!!

My incision is healing nicely and I only have a wee bit of bruising left. I'll have to take pics so that I can add my selfies on the 'badge of honor' page. Today was also my last day on Xarelto, so hoping that helps to clear up any remaining bruise color.

I plan to spend the day chilling with ice/elevation and will try to make an appointment to get my hair done this week (nothing like a little pampering to feel 'normal', right?). Aside from that, life is good - I can't begin to express how great making progress feels - and how much I truly appreciate all of the support, insight and wisdom I've received from everyone here at Bonesmart!:)
 
Lisa.....awesome update.. So proud of you :wow::yahoo: I will do update tomorrow, can't believe it will be 2 weeks :tada: So happy for you :) All my best Sue
 
Great praise report . Your heading in the right direction my friend. I'm so happy for you and I know what you mean about that pain of bone on bone feeling. Keep it up hipster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Great report Lisa!
I remember the day I got to transition from walker to cane. :dancy: for you!
Thanks for the info on the little bike. I wish my PT guy had one of those.
I remember seeing one in our site library somewhere, too.
I think I will just wait a few more days til I strengthen hip flexor some more and then go
for a drive and get on the real exercise bike.

Enjoy the pampering day. :loveshwr:
 
Thanks all! I posted my badge of honor for those wanting to see my war wound but thought I'd throw it in here for those who missed it! It's just under 3" long. The bruise below is where the Superpath puncture wound is - it's tiny so hard to see with my crummy phone camera!

[Bonesmart.org] From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR
 
Healing up great. Super path gave you a super Hip!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Wow that is an amazingly small incision. I'm envious as mine was posterior and is about 8". Posted in the scar section also. Hipster Chic you are such a nice positive person. Thanks for sharing that attitude with everyone on BS. Keep up the awesome work!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Your going ahead in leaps and bounds Lisa! that is sensational for you and so pleased for you too! Your incision looks great and when I eventually get my surgery mine will be glued too apparently, although posterior. Did you have much itching with the glued incision?
 
Hey @fulafoto - No, I haven't really noticed it getting overly itchy (yet!), just once in a while, nothing too crazy. I'm typically one of those people who picks and scratches at things, so I'm hoping to keep the scratching at bay if it should start getting really itchy!!! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom