THR From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hipsterchic you sound great and it must feel good to know you will soon be home! thanks again for all of your updates and posts they are great to read as someone that is just a month behind you. have a great day!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Day 30 report
Sounds so funny to be writing that! Day 30? Has it really been 30 days since I had my hip replaced???
Life is good and I'm getting better and better each day. I'm still using my cane but only for going outside - and even then, it's more as a "just in case". When I resume PT (when I return to GA) I'm going to get their opinion about ditching the cane, but for now I'm still using it.

I did have one unrelated set back on Memorial Day weekend and I'm hoping (praying) that it doesn't cause any hip issues, but - I went to Memorial Day event over the weekend and got a wicked case of food poisoning :headbang: I'm talking, Linda Blair, head spinning, bleh-kind-of-sick! And as luck would have it, I spent the better part of the weekend bowing to the toilet, which definitely proved that, um, my new and improved hip works MUCH better than my old one (it would've killed me to do that before my surgery!!!). All joking aside and after recovering, it dawned on me that food poisoning can be either viral or bacterial, which of course had me freaking out (what if the bacteria somehow goes to my hip??). I contacted Dr G and he didn't seem too concerned, and just said that if I notice any significant hip pain to call him immediately.

My flight home is next Tuesday so I'm looking forward to getting back to Atlanta! And back to work! And back to my friends and the city and my life!! And all with my brand new hip!!!

I'll keep you guys posted once I'm there - and I hope that everyone is having a great week!! :SUNsmile:
 
Boy that sucks!! Nothing worse than a case of food poisioning. It sounds like you are doing better and if doc is not too concerned .. Put it out of your head unless you see a sign you have to worry:) I know I will always be thinking that way.. One of the negative things about the new hip.. But the positive are so much more life changing , so I guess we will just deal:) glad you are going home.. That will get your life back to normal and I am sure you are ready for that.. Keep posting.. Your updates let me know what to expect and helps me .. Feel good my friend!!! May HEELS be in your future soon:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you have no more food-poisioning related issues! Glad to hear that you are doing so well after only a month. Have a great trip home and enjoy getting back to all you love!
 
Glad you have recovered from the food incident. I had that once, and I know how horrible it was.....

The neat thing about going back to Atlanta now is that you are like a 'new better you', and your friends
will be so happy for you!
 
Hey Hipster! We only have positive thoughts for you after being sick, and don't worry, be happy, glad you are feeling better!!
 
Sounds like your doing wonderful friend. I'm still on a cane also dealing it been a month for me and I'm grateful the way things are going. I have been given two new hips this year. One in January and the other one in April a month ago. I'm happy and I'm getting stronger and stronger . Great up date .be encouraged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Hey everyone! It's been a minute (read that as more like a few weeks....sheesh, where did the time go??!!) since I've done an update, so I wanted to do a quickie check-in! I made it home to Atlanta (yay!) and have been going to PT, and getting re-acquainted to a life without the luxuries that I had at my sister's house (the handicap bathroom, the wonderful Tempur-Pedic bed, my sister's cooking!!!!).

And guess what? It's all good! The PT started out a little tough - my muscles were a bit sore at first but things are settling down now (we no longer do things that HURT!) and we're focusing mostly on Dr G's protocol, which includes core strengthening, and a little water therapy for good measure! I'm no longer using a cane (double yay!) and started driving - and I can even get in and out of my low-to-the-ground little sports car (something that was a bit comical to maneuver, let alone watch, prior to surgery!). I've mastered the art of getting my shoes on - and have plans to try doing my own pedicure this weekend :loll:

My scar is healing well - there's just one little spot on the very end that is still a little red at the edges and has a teensy bit of a scab, but aside from that it's all healed up. I'm going to Skype with Dr G soon, so hoping to give him a glance to get his two cents & make sure all is OK. I'm not in any pain whatsoever in my hip - mostly muscle pain when I overdo things (which I try not to do!) and I still find myself getting a little tired here and there in the early evening - but it's not as bad as it was, say, two weeks ago.

I hope all of my fellow hippies are doing well and enjoying their new hips! I'm going to drop by more often now that I'm somewhat more settled in at home :yes:
 
I was browsing through Pinterest and I saw a post for some heels that someone had posted saying " come on hip replacement ! " I thought of us... Yes heels are sounding more and more like a possibility in my future!!! You sound awesome .. So glad you are back home and getting on with your life. Keep us updated and let me know when you are back in the sunshine state:)





LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Excellent @hipster_chic !!!! So glad you are well on your way. I can understand the low car entry... at 6'1" I was pretty creative in getting in and out of DW's VW beetle, now I just slide on in.
every day I do something different and realize..."hey, it doesn't hurt to do that"!
 
Happy July 4th to those celebrating in the USA! I just got home from the day's festivities and wanted to let you know that today, at 65 days post op, I was finally able to spend a day in my beloved high heels!!! Now that may not seem like much to many of you - but for me it's yet another milestone!!! Whoooohoooooo!!!! I am SO happy that I had my hip replaced - it's so amazing to be able to really LIVE again!!! Thanks to all of you Bonesmarties who encouraged me along the way - I couldn't have done it without you!!! :)

[Bonesmart.org] From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR
 
Love, love, love the shoes:)))) so cute! Been thinking about trying it out! Maybe for a dinner out soon.. Keep up the great work!
Jennifer


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Hi @hipster_chic the heels are fab! I am just in the process of passing on some of my less sensible high heels but can wait to wear heels and be comfortable! Funnily enough it was when I realised I had me unconsciously stopping to wearing heals that I realised how bad my hips had gotten. So it will be a milestone for me too!
 
Fabulous shoes, so pleased for you - it is so good to pass another personal milestone :)
 
Three month post op check-in! Wow, who would've thought?!?!? :)

So yeah, it'll be THREE months since my surgery this coming Wednesday, and I have to tell you, I pretty much feel back to "normal", as in, normal before my old hip started giving me grief!!!

I'm back to work, back to running around like a crazy woman :happydance:and sleep through the night with ease! So wonderfully amazing!!! I'm back in my heels, though I'm not exactly sporting anything over 3" at this point!!! But just knowing I can wear heels and feel comfortable is an incredible feeling! I can walk all over the city again, and from a physical therapy perspective, have gotten just about everything back, with the exception of some minor stretching that is still needed in order to sit "like a guy" with the ankle of my operative leg sitting on top of my opposite knee (hope this makes sense!). I can cross my legs easily - it's just that I can't my operative thigh to lay flat like I can when I place my non operative ankle over my opposite knee. Anyway, more work needed there, but it gets better everyday with exercise, core strengthening and stretching!!

I've been trying to catch up on everyone's posts, and wow, a lot has happened in the past month! But all in all it looks like everyone is doing so well - which is SO great to see!!! Once again, I'm so glad that I found this board, and am so appreciative of your help and insight as I navigated through this crazy (and sometimes scary!) journey!

Lisa aka Hipster Chic
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom