Guest viewing is limited

THR From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew, I remember my first walk from the bed. You take it easy, there is no rush to do this you know... I had some blood loss issues.
 
The dizzy feeling will go. Mine did when I stopped taking Ixprim (Tramadol in the US, I believe).
Patience is really important the first few days. We all want to,do more than we can, but a first walk on your new hip is a good start. :)
 
Low bp is quite common. I had it, too.
It will improve and the dizziness of that will go, too.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ahh...the low BP. It won't set you back too much and can be made worse with the meds.

Slow and steady wins the race @hipster_chic

Xxx
 
Make sure your breathing! I'm bad about this and have a tendency to hold my breath because of the pain involved with movement. Just a thought :)
 
Hey everyone, thanks for your advice and kind words! So very much appreciated:)

Here's my Day 1 evening/ Day 2 morning update:
My late afternoon PT went much better! I was able to take a little trot around the nurses station and only got dizzy once, so just sat for a spell and then went back to my room. Going to/from the bathroom is easy, it's the longer jaunts that seem to take a bit out of me, so I'll keep going slow and easy on those. BTW, my new hip feels really good!!! For the PT exercises, I was unable to do any true heel slides on my operated leg, and told my PT we'd try again another time. I'm not pushing myself with anything that causes pain on that side - and so far all I can do comfortably is knee lifts (working quads) and walking short distances.

My pain got a little crazy again at around 3am this morning, but we got it under control with some IV Dilaudid. Woke up at around 8am and it feels like I got hit by the proverbial 18-wheeler! Mostly muscle pain in the operated leg (butt and thigh especially), but to be expected as this is the day that the anesthesia and such is wearing off. I'm now on Celebrex, Oxy every 3hrs, with Tylenol in between, and soon Dilaudid pills as needed. We'll see how that goes or if I need to ratchet things up on the pain med side. Also taking Xarelto (will be on this for 10 days).

That's all for now - will keep you guys updated as I go!!
 
Hi @hipster_chic ! You're doing great!!! Hope you have your pain under control quickly- don't let it get ahead of you. Love your amazing attitude - you go girl!
 
Evening Day #2:
Walked the entire floor this evening with my trusty walker and only had to stop once due to dizziness. I'm going slow and easy - my muscles still feel sort of achy and my operated side is pretty swollen (despite the icing/elevating) but it's SO nice to walk without the bone pain! Also have been getting up and down throughout the day for the bathroom, and spent about 3hrs sitting in the recliner.

The nurses changed my dressing tonight so I got to see my incision and aside from the ink-spattered looking bruise on my right butt cheek, things look good! I'm amazed that the incision is only about 3 inches long and that the little puncture wound is so tiny (and that Dr G and the other Superpath docs are able to do the procedure with such a small incision)! I'm still unable to shower but am told that I'll be allowed to once I go home, which we're thinking will be either tomorrow or Sunday.

Tonight I'm just hanging out - will spend my time icing and elevating in my hospital bed, and I have a bunch of movies downloaded to keep me entertained!

Hope my fellow hippies are doing well...more soon!
 
Great report Hipster. I'm on my way home as I type this reply. It's totally different walking it seems like my leg is a little taller. He said it's the same size. My thigh is extremely swollen and the pain is minimal. I'm pushing my way through anyway. Si far so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
@shrinkette I'm very happy with the hospital. It's new and beautiful and everyone who works here seems so caring and knowledgeable. My only complaint and I'm not certain this is a "hospital" thing, is that a lot of the pain management is really left to the patient. I suppose that's fine but if one oversleeps, wow...the "as-needed" drugs aren't given unless they are asked for :nah:
 
@hipster_chic , I had blood pressure issues that seemed to be better if I drank some water before getting up. Also, your pain after surgery will soon be so much less. I had AVN, and THAT pain is horrendous, isn't it, comparitively, esp when you know that your current pain is due to surgical and will get better. Seems they are managing it well for you, keep up the good work!
 
Day #3 Report
Slept through the night with Dilaudid and Tylenol, and after breakfast took a nice little walk with PT. All good this morning, except for some achy feeling in the groin and thigh muscle, mostly felt after walking or PT. After that, I got the "all clear" from Dr G, so I'm going home to my sisters to recuperate :) I'll have a home health aide come and change my wound dressing and in home PT to help get me walking even better. I also was able to shower today and WOW a hot shower never felt sooooo good!

I'm eager to get to my sisters and see how things go in a true home environment! Although I'm still sore and achy, I have to say that all in all, I'm very happy with how things have been going post op.

Ok, off to pack and get ready to hit the happy trails! More soon!
 
Pleased to hear that you are progressing well. :)
It is the little things, like having a shower which really lift the spirits in the first few days.
 
Glad you are having a good hip day. I am a few weeks ahead of you and my left hip feels great. Now I am on countdown to June for right hip, it hurts like never before. I'm in Central Fl BTW. Took my first solo trip to grocery store today. How is your appetite? My appetite changed since surgery somewhat. I was dying for sushi from Publix once again, and went for my own by myself for the first time, with a shopping cart thanks to right leg, but left was strong. Won't be long for you now, yay!
 
Glad you got a shower and are doing well. Getting to go to your sisters is super!
Rest up, ice up, med up, etc.
 
Just found your thread @hipster_chic . Sounds like your recovery is pretty standard. The pain will ease in just a few days and you'll be surprised at how quickly you will feel better. You have a great attitude and that will carry you a long way...along with realistic expectations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom