THR From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR
and to tell you to
[Bonesmart.org] From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR
 
Day #3 Evening Report
Well I'm home at my sister's house and it feels soooo good to be out of the hospital! I got here around 5pm last night, and my wonderful sister had everything all set up and ready for me! The hospital had made arrangements to deliver my shiny new walker to her home, so she had that waiting, along with some other items from the BS checklist: raised toilet seat, pillows, extra ice packs, etc. My boyfriend found a lift/recliner chair for me at Goodwill (it was like new!) and delivered it to her house before the surgery, and I'll tell you that it is one of the best things I've sat in post op! It raises up to your butt (so that you don't have to bend down when sitting) and then gently goes down, raises the legs and reclines! Ahhh it's hippie nirvana!

As many of Dr Grandic's patients have mentioned here on the board, Bethesda West doesn't have an in-hospital pharmacy, but they do offer pharmacy delivery service from Walgreen's. Dr G and the nurses made the arrangements before I was discharged and it worked out quite well for me. All you need is a method of payment and your insurance information. The local Walgreen's didn't have the Dilaudid in stock, but they made a run to another store that had it, and still managed to deliver my entire pharmacy order within an hour. Very convenient!

I spent the rest of the evening in my hippie chair with ice packs, and every hour or so paddled around the house using the walker - little trips to the kitchen, the bathroom, the patio. I'm doing everything slow and easy - and it feels amazing! I used my phone alarm to remind me to take my meds overnight, and also keep a little notebook by my side table so that I can jot myself reminders, etc.

Today is my first full day day of being "home" so I've got lots to keep me entertained while I recuperate: movies, tv episodes, kindle books and of course the internet! I might get dangerous on eBay or one of the other online shopping sites in this mode (ha!) but for now, all is good!

Lisa aka hipster chic
 
@hipster_chic sounds like you are doing all the right things to help your body heal. Well done! Welcome to the good side!
 
Good sister, good boyfriend = awesome recovery.
Glad you are doing so well Lisa!
 
So glad to hear you're feeling "amazing." I also have AVN and am counting the days. I'm working on getting a recliner (thanks for answering my thread) and have a question about ice packs. I'm planning to make some of the DIY (water, alcohol, food coloring) ice packs with my Foodsaver so I can make extra big ones that are slushy and fairly leakproof. Does that sound like a good idea?
 
@PuppyLove, I've never used a foodsaver but your idea to make your own ice packs sounds like a good idea to me. I have been icing since I was in the hospital and will repeat what we've read throughout BS: ice packs are an absolute necessity while healing!
 
Day #4 Report
I spent probably 85% of my day in the recliner on Day #4, icing and elevating. I've got the pain meds down to a science, and was up & walking with the walker to go to the bathroom, the dining area for a bite to eat, or to sit outside on my sisters patio in 10-15 min increments here and there. I'm walking so much better each day - and Day 4 was no exception: I can now easily walk with a normal gait (one leg past the other) with the walker, and am getting pretty good at sitting and standing up! I try to practice my PT exercises in bed, but for the most part, have only been doing the leg circles (more for circulation than PT) as I feel like the walking has been enough exercise for me. My quads are already pretty strong from pre-surgery condition, so I have to admit the PT exercises have not been a huge priority for me personally. Maybe I'll change my tune when the in-house PT gets here, but for now, it seems to be working for me!

My swelling seems to get worse at night, but I've been able to manage it with ice and elevation. The swelling is mostly around my rear and hips (not exactly the places that most women want to swell!) but I also have some swelling down my thigh and around the knee of my operated leg. I am using large ice packs purchased at Walgreens and they seem to be doing the trick. My only complaint is that they only stay cold for about 2hrs, so I'm constantly swapping them (luckily I purchased four packs - and I use two to ice each time). I also purchased an Aircast Cryo machine & hip cuff, but haven't used it...yet! I want to wait to make sure my incision is OK before I start anything that might 'compress'.

My incision is still under wraps but as I mentioned in earlier reports, it's only about 3 inches long and sits on the side of my right butt cheek, high enough to be covered by a bikini. The puncture or stab wound is a little lower but is so tiny that I suspect it will fade pretty easily once it heals. I'm still all black and blue on my butt, but it is starting to fade a little each day.

I tried staying up with my sister and her family to watch television last night but was only able to hang out with them for about 90mins before excusing myself to go and chill out in my bedroom. I was seated in their family room recliner (not my cool lift recliner) with ice, but the chair was a little too smooshy, so I wasn't as comfortable as I wanted to be. I can also tell that the "surgery drain" hits in different ways, and even just sitting and interacting with family can sometimes be a little too much drain! Sounds funny, but it's been the case for me - so that's when I go to my bedroom and just chill out!!

Last night was another good sleep night - I woke myself up with phone alarms to take my meds, and still managed a decent night's sleep. I've been getting myself to/from the potty without any issues (thanks to the riser toilet seat) and have found I only needed the Senekot to help me with any constipation (yay!). I'm also drinking a LOT of water and broth in between meals, which seems to keep things "moving" :yes:

I believe my home health aide should be here today to change my dressing so I'm eager to hear how my incision is healing. Aside from that, my plans today are to chill out, ice and elevate and catch up on some good kindle books!
 
Well done on going at your own speed @hipster_chic ! Hips don't really need a lot of PT. Walking and gentle exercise to keep mobile. And as you are finding Energy drain for THRs is a real thing. Rest when you need to. Still very early days.
 
Day #5 report
Wow...has it really been almost ONE WEEK since I had this surgery? Kind of freaky to think about!!

So Day #5, I had my first at home Nurse evaluation and my first at home PT Evaluation. My incision looks good, though my butt still has all sorts of bruising around the incision! But the nurse was happy with how it looked, and with my vitals, so all good there. They'll come back out tomorrow to change the dressing again and check on me.

My PT adjusted my walker and stated that she feels I'm doing very well. She gave me Dr G's PT protocol so I could look it over, as the actual PT will start later today. It's essentially the same exercises that I've been doing/seeing for the hip: ankle slides, knee lifts, knee presses, and some standing flex exercises...nothing too crazy.

Aside from that, my day was pretty much business as usual: got up to eat, walk around a bit, then back in either bed or recliner for icing, elevating and chilling out. My swelling is going down a little, but it's still around my hip and butt area - and I can certainly feel it when I'm walking. My new hip feels good - but when I stand in place it feels "higher" than my non operated leg. I know that is to be expected, so I'm not giving it too much thought, but just an observation that it was noticed today. The new hip also feels "big" inside, if that makes any sense? Again, I'm not concerned, but just an observation as I was walking that it definitely feels different than my non operated leg, like the inside joint is larger or something.

Pain levels have been managed with meds so no complaints there.

Today will bring Occupational therapy over for a visit. I'm not really sure that I need them at this point, but will listen to what they have to say/offer as far as helping me around the house.etc.

Hope all the rest of you hippies are feeling and healing well! :SUNsmile:
 
Yep, the new hip feels larger and the leg feels taller, right? I'm a couple weeks ahead of you, and that will keep getting better, so keep elevating which is hard. I had a lot of back of thigh pain. Movies and elevation, movies and elevation. My new hip really feels strong today, back to normal today, like play basketball strong, ha. But not yet, just enjoy walking when it feels like you are ready for a walk. I went to two canes and got off the walker except at night to bathroom, still use walker then. Keep elevating and let it all heal up, you are doing great...
 
Day #6 Report
All is going well post op and today as I write this, I'm actually one week post op...so hard to believe! I'm walking better and better each day, am still taking meds and still have quite a bit of swelling in the hip and thigh area of my operated leg. I haven't ventured outdoors yet, aside from walks around my sister's outdoor patio/pool area, but feel really good and am not really concerned about taking a jaunt outdoors, other than to be careful of crooked sidewalks and other "gotchas"! I've even been walking without any aides for a few steps here and there in the bathroom and around my bedroom, and though I feel a bit "weak" on the operated side when doing this, it's nothing too painful or scary :yes: An occupational therapist came out to visit me yesterday, and once she saw how well I was getting around, getting dressed, etc, she "discharged" me...yay!

I think my biggest post op complaint is with the home health company that I've been assigned through my insurance company. A nurse was supposed to be here this morning at 10:30am to change my dressing, but never showed up, and never called. I called the main office and after being bounced around and placed on hold for like 20mins, was told "she's probably running late - I'll call her now and ask her to call you". It's been 30mins since that conversation and, um, still no call. Errrgh.

The company also manages the at home PT, and they were supposed to come out yesterday at around 1:30pm. They never showed up and at around 3pm, I received a call from the PT who said she could be at my house at 5pm as her schedule was "slammed". I get very tired each day at 5p, so told her to forget it, and instead to come today (Weds). She said that she was unable to come on any day before 4 or 5pm, and suggested that I call the main office to find someone else who can do my PT earlier. Double Errrghhh! So today I called them and again, they said they'd find someone and have them call me. Guess what? No one has called. I cannot imagine what it must be like for those who have a hard time getting along (I'm thinking the elderly who live alone etc) with such poor care! Luckily I'm in good shape, and am going for a follow up with Dr G tomorrow, so it's not like it's critical for the nurse to be here, but the PT?? Just a very eye-opening experience for me, and I intend to let my insurance know that the company they are using really seems unorganized, unprofessional and pretty much useless!

Ok, enough whining on my part - the good news is that I feel great, and am finding that it gets easier and easier to get around each day and all without that rotten arthritic hip pain that I've had to deal with the past 3+ years. Hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying their day!!:flwrysmile:

Lisa aka hipster_chic
 
Good work. Maybe I'm overly cynical but when I deal with 3rd party companies I just expect less. Your insurance company contracted with another company to provide in home care correct? I think it's important for the insurance company to hear this from you. I work in the schools and when the district stopped making the lunches for the kids and stared contracting with a company initially there was an improvement. Every year since then there has been nothing but a decline in the quality of the food. My 10 year old is not picky but he won't eat it. You should here him complain when he has to. It really is gross.

My point Is that after the honeymoon period these 3rd parties just get worse and worse at whatever they do. To maximize profits.

Can you tell I'm bored? Lol
 
That sounds so frustrating...I too would want a different provider, remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
 
That is frustrating Lisa - like waiting for the repairman all day and he doesn't show! On the positive you are dong great in your recovery and it sounds like you're getting around like a new woman - congratulations on that :yay:
 
Day #8 Report
Hey fellow hippies! Today I had my first post op appointment with Dr Grandic and all is going so well! He took Xrays and is very pleased with how my scar is healing and with my mobility progress :happydance: I have copies of my Xrays and will try to attach to this post - you can see my before/after, and note that I tried to blur certain areas for privacy hence the reason the pics make me look asexual! :thud: You'll see with my new hip, Dr G ended up placing one screw in my hip cup for stability - as my pre-surgery hip socket was such a hot mess! The other thing you may notice is a little charm on my non-surgical side: that's from my undergarments (which was pretty funny to see on the XRay!). At first my boyfriend was like "Um Doc what's that?" and I wanted to pull a gag & say something like "Dr Grandic, did that charm fall off a necklace???" but I couldn't make eye contact w/Dr G in time....ah well....funny moment!!

Let's see if these links work: [Bonesmart.org] From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

[Bonesmart.org] From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

Dr Grandic also removed my bandage and I'm now allowed to go leave it uncovered, take a bath and go swimming if I want. It felt good to be really outside today, and I was even able to get into a Chevy Trailblazer (sans running board) with ease!! After my appointment, we went out for lunch, took a quick trip to Walmart for a new TV gadget, and all without any issues or pain....:yay: I'm still using my walker, but have a sneaking suspicion that I can start using a cane. I'm not rushing it though - and will wait until I have a little more PT under my belt. I finally have things resolved with at home PT, so they will be stopping by tomorrow (finally!).

So all in all - things are incredible - I feel like a new person and am so, So, SO pleased with how things are progressing!! More soon, now time for icing and elevating!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom