Guest viewing is limited

THR From Hipster Chic to Hippie Chic!! My Superpath THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your kind words @Stan H, very much appreciated :yes: and know that I feel the same way about you and all of the other hipsters on BS - not sure where I'd be in this process without you guys!! On the scar, I knew it was going to be a smaller incision than the average THR, but was a bit surprised at how small when I was first "unwrapped"! I keep thinking "how in the h*ll did my OS get an implant in there???" Really crazy to think about!!
Hope you are doing well, my friend!!
 
So nice to know you're doing so well, Lisa. Must be the Florida air!! :heehee: You seem to be careful in following the mantra here & not pushing it, & I think it's paying off. I admired your lovely 3" scar -- I've got an 8" one that is nicely healed, but I didn't do Superpath. Guess bikinis are out of the question for ME (ha -- as if!).
Keep up the good work!​
 
Good Morning @hipster_chic My incision itched before they removed the dressing Monday, not so much now and it looks great. It is roughly 5.5 inches, my OS said I might have a bit longer incision than he usually does, because I am a big, muscular guy and he had tight muscles to contend with. Other than being easily fatigued, I am up and around and planning on going to take a look at my cattle today. Monday's trip home from MN wore me out too much and I slept most of yesterday. feeling much better today
 
@hipster_chic So happy to hear that you are getting along so well:) Your post reminded me that I have those little floor pedals from when I had my TKR. I think I'll have to go dig them out for a little extra exercise as the weather in Connecticut hasn't been great for walking every day. Keep up the good work:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Nice scar Lisa and mine was glued; no itching at all. The glue seemed to keep things inside and dry....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Day 16 report
All is going well! I'm basically down to taking pain meds only when needed, around 1-2x/day, and am feeling good. Much of my swelling has gone down (yay!) and my bruising has all but disappeared. I'm still icing and elevating as needed, mostly in the late afternoon and evening.

I graduated from walker to cane earlier this week, but am now basically walking unassisted around the house. This isn't intentional - I just keep forgetting to grab it before I get up to start walking! But I've also been "home bound" for most of the week, so perhaps that's why I feel this way. I'm going out to get my hair done later this afternoon so I'll bring my cane and leave the walker in the car just in case I need it. But so far I feel really good when walking, and have no pain when doing so (which is downright AMAZING!).

I hope everyone is doing well and has a great weekend!
 
Day 19 Report
Wow, what a difference 2+ weeks post op makes! I'm pretty much off the cane around the house (as I mentioned in my last update, I keep forgetting to use it!), but am definitely using it for my outside jaunts. I had no problems getting my hair done on Friday, and was able to easily sit in the salon chairs at the sink and at the stylist's hair cutting station - easy peasy :happydance:

On Saturday & Sunday I did a little retail therapy and was able to walk two or three blocks with my cane before getting pooped out! I took it easy, walked nice & slow, but steady. I found that the hardest thing about walking outdoors is the work it takes to balance on uneven surfaces like cobblestone or grass. I could feel my body "adjusting" to balance, which is something that I definitely took for granted with my pre-arthritis real hip! It's all good though - no real pain to speak of, but I did get pretty tired afterwards.

I'm basically off the narcotics, aside from the occasional Oxy 5mg or Dilaudid 2mg pills, and only when I need them. I'm finding that Tylenol is enough for the most part.

I'm seeing Dr Grandic is tomorrow, so looking forward to getting his perspective on how I'm doing.

Hope all are doing well!!
 
Day 20
Today was my final post op visit with Dr Grandic, and he has given me the "all clear" to go back to Atlanta! :happydance:

He took one more set of XRays and all looks good - everything is as it should be, so no restrictions whatsoever! The only thing to watch: my BP became slightly elevated in the past week, but he suspects its because of the Celebrex (which I had to go on right after surgery). Now that I'm off the blood thinner (Xarelto), I'm going to ditch the Celebrex and get back on Meloxicam as my anti-inflammatory, and continue to monitor to make sure my BP gets back to normal.

Aside from that - my scar is fine, my mobility and progress are fine - so I will start outpatient PT here in FL and continue when I get back to Atlanta. We'll do a Skype "visit" from Atlanta in about 6 weeks, but I also have his cell and email in case I need anything once I get back home.

By the way, I cannot say enough good things about Dr Grandic! Seriously - he's SO humble and compassionate (he gave me a HUGE hug when I left!). And I've never had a physician who was always available via text, cell or email - and who displayed such a great balance of confidence, compassion and genuine happiness for his patient's progress! The guy ROCKS in my book!!

Ok, off to ice, elevate and catch some sweet Florida sunshine!

Lisa
 
Day 20
Today was my final post op visit with Dr Grandic, and he has given me the "all clear" to go back to Atlanta! :happydance:

He took one more set of XRays and all looks good - everything is as it should be, so no restrictions whatsoever! The only thing to watch: my BP became slightly elevated in the past week, but he suspects its because of the Celebrex (which I had to go on right after surgery). Now that I'm off the blood thinner (Xarelto), I'm going to ditch the Celebrex and get back on Meloxicam as my anti-inflammatory, and continue to monitor to make sure my BP gets back to normal.

Aside from that - my scar is fine, my mobility and progress are fine - so I will start outpatient PT here in FL and continue when I get back to Atlanta. We'll do a Skype "visit" from Atlanta in about 6 weeks, but I also have his cell and email in case I need anything once I get back home.

By the way, I cannot say enough good things about Dr Grandic! Seriously - he's SO humble and compassionate (he gave me a HUGE hug when I left!). And I've never had a physician who was always available via text, cell or email - and who displayed such a great balance of confidence, compassion and genuine happiness for his patient's progress! The guy ROCKS in my book!!

Ok, off to ice, elevate and catch some sweet Florida sunshine!

Lisa
Great job Hipster_Chic



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@hipster_chic you sound amazing (your positive attitude just shines through in your posts!). Very happy for you that you are doing so well and have had such a wonderful surgeon. I'm just curious -what is the 'superpath' part of your surgery (its not a term I'm familiar with)? I'm in Canada so that could be why I haven't heard of it. Take care and keep posting the inspirational updates (have a feeling I'll be reading them to help me after I move over to the post op side next week lol)!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you @Sharri - much appreciated!! SUPERPATH stands for Supercapsular Percutaneously-Assisted Total Hip and is a technique used for THR that is considered "micro-invasive". It's a combination of two minimally invasive procedures (PATH and SUPERCAP) that was developed by Dr. Jimmy Chow (Arizona). You can read more about the procedure here: broken link removed: https://www.superpathhiptechnique.com/patients/about-superpath.asp and you can find a list of surgeons trained in the procedure here: broken link removed: https://www.superpathhiptechnique.com/patients/find-physician.asp. The last link shows only physicians within the USA, so I'm not sure if anyone outside the USA is using this procedure. My surgeon was Dr. Elvis Grandic out of Boyton Beach, FL - and like I mentioned in my post, I honestly can't say enough good things about him! Several others here on Bonesmart were treated by him and all reported similar experiences :yes:

Wishing you all the best next week & looking forward to reading all about your recovery!!
 
@hipster_chic. So happy Lisa that u can return home soon. Your recover had been so great. I think the April 30th hippies are all doing sooo well. Can't believe will be a month in 8 days since we took our journey together. Safe travels back home. Your the best.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good for you:) it will probably feel good to be home and back to normalcy.. Get out before the heat here! Lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@hipster_chic You are doing great! my SuperPATH OS sounds very similar to Dr. Grandic as far as compassion, skill and accessibility. I am back at work full time, went to the pool yesterday after PT (3 weeks post op) and swam 8 laps, not taking any meds and am pretty much a happy camper.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom