TKR Following My Instincts

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
United States United States
I am so tired. 9.5 weeks- didn’t do anything exceptional in the last two days, just not sleeping longer than 3 hours at a time- at most. Ok- I have a theory about sleep and this TKR : When kids are little and they are learning new skills and building neuropathways (sitting, crawling, standing, walking, etc) they often have sleep disturbances and wake up to “practice” in the middle of the night. I had one that never slept so I did a lot of sleep research in kids.
My thought is our new knees are babies and want us to keep moving them every so often so they wake us up to “practice” ;) or maybe it’s just the lack of sleep affecting my brain. Here’s to an early night. Pray for sleep!

Reactions: shr

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
My thought is our new knees are babies and want us to keep moving them every so often so they wake us up to “practice” ;)
I like this! It sounds reasonable to me! I think they get bored and want some attention many times, too, just like a toddler.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February2, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
“I don’t need this, I’m good. Have a nice weekend” put on my shoes and walked out.
So proud of you for doing this! You sent that PT a strong message that you do NOT agree with her tactics! :yes!:

Just wanted to chime in that I had my first TKR at just about your age and I had young kids at the time too. (12 and 15). My son had his drivers permit at the time and was able to drive me to PT until I was finally able to drive myself.

You have an awesome attitude and it sounds like your recovery is really going well now. :ok:

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
Thanks @Susie-Q ! There are not so many of us. Usually people say”my mom just had a knee replacement” or “but your so young!”. I think sometimes the PT’s forget that too. I had 100% help for 4 weeks and then it was slowly tapered off of the next two. Thank God I don’t have much in the way of actual knee pain anymore, it’s more just muscle spasm and sometimes stiffness and such. So much better. The goal for the surgery was to get to be able to enjoy life with kids again. (And not be so cranky from chronic pain) I feel like fortunately, I am well on my way to that.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February2, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
That's great that you had/have so much help. I remember my first surgeon telling me after he saw my x-rays that I had the knees of a 65+ year old. I was glad I was able wait to get the left one to last until just last year. It's nice having no knee pain anymore! I still have a little stiffness here and there but for the most part, no pain when doing normal activities and walking. :egypdance:

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
Anyone out there get anxiety about this knee? It was a hell of a week- lots of driving, lots of life “fires” to put out… stretching at night and in morning was about all the PT I had time for. Along with a dental emergency and lots of back and forth between the OS and dentist. I got through it and then yesterday realized my ROM was worse and my knee was swollen. I see the OS for 12 week check on the 20th and I woke up in a panic attack that he is going to be disappointed and want that dreaded MUA. I know in daily life I am not that worried. Slowly getting better. But the idea of a “test” bums me out and makes me anxious. Of course I will go to my appointment. I made a comment yesterday I estimate I am about 115 and my husband said “no way” which was a bummer and then a friend said “I think you need to work harder if you want to get there” . Meanwhile all my “life responsibilities” ADL have resumed full speed. I do ask for help, but lots of things like driving the kids around can’t be delegated. Anyway, feeling good about the new knee, praying I survived the dental procedure without infection and somehow in the next 10 days my ROM comes in and I can move on. Not sure this is realistic- but just putting it out there. Thanks

Last edited:

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
and then yesterday realized my ROM was worse and my knee was swollen.
You are very active for 2.5 months post op. Yes, life has to be taken care of, so you may have to forfeit a little bit of healing progress, to get things done. You will continue to improve, as time goes on. The best way to increase ROM is to do what you can to keep swelling down and give yourself time to heal.

If your doctor brings up a discussion of MUA, just tell him all you’re doing each day, and that it produces swelling, which affects ROM.

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I see the OS for 12 week check on the 20th and I woke up in a panic attack that he is going to be disappointed
He has no right or reason to be "disappointed" in your progress if YOU are feeling good about where you are and what you are able to do.
Remember: you didn't have this surgery for him ... you did it for YOU! :yes!:

Starsfan22

senior
Country
I haven't been on this board for awhile and it pains me to read someone 12 weeks out is worried about what their Dr wants or expects. Please @Samsrf, don't worry about what your Dr wants or says. You have the right, even the responsibility to own your healing and the timeline. If he suggests a treatment listen, ask why, what benefit etc., then make your decision. It's yours to make. If you decide to not do something he suggests I guarantee he'll be happy to help you if you change your mind.

I just had my 6 month anniversary of my revision tkr. I'm still not where I want to be and may not be where my Dr wants me to be. It's between me and my knee/ body. After 2+ yrs of surgeries, revision, spacers, antbiotic infusions for infection, the journey continues. I'll keep working, hoping and praying for healing.

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
After 2+ yrs of surgeries, revision, spacers, antibiotic infusions for infection, the journey continues. I'll keep working, hoping and praying for healing.
Oh my gosh! I will be praying for you too @Starsfan22 !

Thank you for giving me some perspective. I am so grateful for where I am. I knew I was suffering for the last 8 years- but I didn't know how badly until I started recovering from this surgery. I started self medicating & drinking more than I should (2 years sober in july), I was cranky and told there was nothing that could be done because I was too young for a tkr. I am allergic to Ibuprofen so I would take an Aleve at night to sleep and that was the extent of my Dr's advice. I had very young kids when this all started and daily life was a struggle each day at a time when my friends & husband were (and I should have been) full of energy and vitality (35 yrs old). I keep getting told "that's the past" but I can't help but to think all things I let go by the wayside (including my health) all the times I just couldn't cope. And now in this recovery parenting tweens & teenagers, I breathe a sigh of relief and think . "This is hard and I am not healed- but I am so much better and happier and I can see an awesome future". I am so grateful I am present but I still have "bad" days where I am tired, sore and cranky and I let the negative feelings of the past get the best of me.

You have reminded me to be grateful for where I am each and every day. This is a unique & specific recovery, I will work harder to honor that. Thank you.

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Be careful with Aleve, it's an NSAID just like ibuprofen.

And now in this recovery parenting tweens & teenagers, I breathe a sigh of relief and think . "This is hard and I am not healed- but I am so much better and happier and I can see an awesome future". I am so grateful I am present but I still have "bad" days where I am tired, sore and cranky and I let the negative feelings of the past get the best of me.
You have such a good attitude. You will have a good recovery, I'm sure. On those bad days just stop, rest, elevate, and ice and you'll be back to a good day again.
I started self medicating & drinking more than I should (2 years sober in july)

Congratulations on your two years of sobriety! That is a huge accomplishment.

hawk2go

Staff member since January 6, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Congrats on your sobriety @Samsrf. If you beat the drink, you definitely have the right stuff (especially patience) to tackle TKR recovery.

Sounds like your family relies on you and you're stepping up to the demands. Be sure to make time/space for icing and rest, especially on those demanding days.

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
@hawk2go Yes. It’s the only way to get through the day. Here I am, Just hooked up to ice for 40 min after a busy morning doing some chores, stretching, 10 min on the bike, feeding the crew lunch and before a run to waterpolo camp! They took away my ice machine at 8 weeks and 2 days later I was like “can I please buy one?” Haha. I definitely struggle on the days I don’t build in time to ice and rest. Last night I got 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep and that helps too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 64

kneeper

Staff member since January 6, 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Good job icing after activity. It's still ok to pace your activities and call on your family to help out. Remind them that just because the scar is looking good doesn't mean the inside of the knee is healed yet.

Axx72

Country
Canada Canada
Wake, heat, snack, stretch/exercise, eat/fluids, ice, nap, walking/stretching, ibuprofen, sleep….rinse and repeat

And family and kids thrown in there too…

Consistency, consistency, consistency….

Keep going! It’s great to be alive and kicking with a TKR!

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
12 week (nearly) follow up with OS. I always stress and psych myself out like I am going to get yelled at - especially after my bad PT experiences. All he said was “Keep working at it ( flexion and extension) it only gets easier from here if you keep at it”. When asked I said I wasn’t doing formal PT anymore he said “well, whatever you are doing is working so keep going” (YEAH Bonesmart!) And I thanked him because I can see the light and feel like I am headed back into to life again.

It is a trip what chronic pain will do to you and what a toll it takes on your body. I know everyone’s recovery is different but I truly believe this surgery was a blessing. It hasn’t been easy and I am not one of those 0-130 in 6 weeks people. I am still 0- 115 or 120. Soon enough I will be able to keep up with the kids walking or on a bike. Celebrating a good day… you never know what tomorrow will bring in this recovery journey. So, Here’s to a good day.

OP
OP
S

Samsrf

Country
Zingers !!! Now I get it. 12 week kneeversary today. Awesome present - haha!!!
I cut back to tylenol only when I feel discomfort - went 10 hours last night and 8 hours today and trying 500mg first and adding an hour later another if I needed it. Just another twist in the recovery road

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Manhattan