TKR Following My Instincts

Thank you so much for posting this update @Samsrf ! It really is inspiring. It gives me hope and excitement for the future. We are of a similar age and I agree with you that we shouldn’t be wasting these ‘prime’ years severely limited and in pain. It was difficult to find someone who was willing to do my PKR because of my relatively young age but I fought for it. I accommodated my knee for 20+ years and spent the last 2 in a lot of pain. Now I’m finally at the point where I can see that this surgery was worth fighting for. And your amazing story helps me to believe that I really will get my life back!! Thanks for sharing :)
@JusticeRider This surgery was hard and no joke. I thought I would be up and running in no time- and if you read my whole thread- that was definitely not the case! However, the only thing I regret is in 2015 (@35 yrs old) listening to the Doctor who told me to stop being active and doing anything to preserve my knee. It was the wrong advice for ME (lead to depression, self medicating and weight gain) … BUT that lead me to where I am today with an amazing surgeon who is about quality of life, an amazing knee and doing pretty much all the things I missed. Although I have lost my desire to jump on the trampoline with the kids (one test I won’t give my new knee!) I am so very grateful for facing the fear and just doing it. I only regret waiting until I couldn’t walk to do it.

I don’t know where you are located, but keep looking for the right surgeon. ( Mine had a TKR and had a whole different perspective on recovery having gone through it). And then keep looking for the right PT. My knee is now “free” to move naturally. I can get about 120 bend and 125- 130 bend with assistance. And I am living my best life. At 44 I feel better than I did at 38! This is just my story- but it is important in those moments of doubt to
Keep Going!

Keep going!
 
Yep, I so agree with you both! I had my first TKR at age 42 and luckily at that time I had a doctor that didn't hesitate but said let's fix you up so you can get out there and live! He retired soon after but I was able to make it 11 years before I needed knee #2 done. My new doc said I was a bit on the younger side (I was 53 then) but he couldn't really argue to not get it done because I'd already done it!
 
This surgery was hard and no joke. I thought I would be up and running in no time- and if you read my whole thread- that was definitely not the case!
It is a BEAST of a recovery, and I felt the same way. I enjoyed reading your thread and related to a lot of it!
told me to stop being active and doing anything to preserve my knee. It was the wrong advice for ME (lead to depression, self medicating and weight gain)
I heard the same advice. Like we should just limp around in pain, just killing time for 10 years or longer until we were finally deemed old enough. And by then we’d have lost years of our life to disability and pain and our knees would be completely and thoroughly trashed along with the rest of our bodies from compensating. No thank you. I too struggled with depression from the pain and limitations, and I knew I couldn’t keep going that way. I’m so sorry you had to go through that. But I’m so glad you were able to get your knee fixed and get back to living!
don’t know where you are located, but keep looking for the right surgeon.
Fortunately I was able to find him and get the surgery done and am on my way to healing and really living again! I talked with 5 surgeons and found 2 who were willing to do it. I only wish I could have had it done sooner. My knee was a mess by the time I had surgery and it has made the recovery more difficult. But now on the other side, it’s onward and upward! Thank you for posting and sharing your story :SUNsmile:
 
@Samsrf Just read your whole thread and found it very inspirational.
The thing that really terrified me though was the fall you had. I have had a few falls pre my pkr and it is my biggest worry.
I am definitely going to chuck out a couple of long skirts! It was reassuring though to read one of the staff comments subsequently that implants are generally very strong and it is just the soft tissue around that tends to get damaged.
 
@hawk2go he was a collegiate gymnast. He says the best “pt” for ROM is kneeling in a cushioned chair with arms and sitting back. So not no my favorite! His biggest goal in recovery is having strong enough tendons and stuff to do what you love without getting hurt- so whatever that is- that’s the goal!
 
Well, that would definitely NOT have worked for me, then or now! Ouch! My new knee just bends to a certain point and then the joint says, nope, not going any further or I might split open! Further proof that recoveries cannot be a "one size fits all" approach.
 
@hawk2go he was a collegiate gymnast. He says the best “pt” for ROM is kneeling in a cushioned chair with arms and sitting back. So not no my favorite! His biggest goal in recovery is having strong enough tendons and stuff to do what you love without getting hurt- so whatever that is- that’s the goal!
Oh my….nope! That would hurt (me) like heck!

Marie
 
@InkedMarie yeah- not for me either !!! … but that’s what he said … like @Susie-Q said. No recovery is 1 size. I think it is important to listen to everyone’s perspective because I was going into this blind and if I hadn’t tried what the PT said, what bonesmart article suggested, advice from different people here recovering ❤️‍ I would have never gotten to this point. Thank you for all you bonesmarties do!!!!
 
@Samsrf, you're coming up on your 1st an-Knee-versary. Looking forward to your post.
 
Hi Bonesmarties-
So I am a few weeks past my 1 year knee-aversary. I thought the Sky would open and balloons would fall, maybe some angels with trumpets - but alas, Life goes on as normal and outside of the acknowledgment from my family- it was a quite typical day. I saw my surgeon on the Monday (3rd April) and that was rather anti-climatic as well. X-rays all look good. Knee cap tracking, bone grown in well to cementless implant, PA says I don’t have enough flexion (same old story) OS says looks good - can probably get more bend- so keep working it. 0-115 on my own… it’s the 115-130 that I can bend to, but need an assist (trainer, leg press machine with 0 weight) to get there. After a year, getting to this upper range feels weird, but good….. I have to remind myself my ROM from 2013 to surgery date was 10-110…. So these upper ranges haven’t been visited ina VERY long time. Regardless of what “they”say, I can say I am a TKR success story:
I can do everything I want without pain! It has revolutionized my life and at 44 years old- I feel like I am back in the game. I am grateful to my surgeon for his steady hand and good choices, my family- foot putting up with chronic pain grumpy me for so long and helping my recovery and for bonesmart for providing the framework for me to heal the way that worked for me. Sometimes just resting & recovering, sometimes pushing myself.
Now I must go pack up for a weekend of beach, surf and waterpolo games up the coast. Thank you to all the admins and member for your stories, insights and encouragement. Back to living with my TKR.

1682091664462.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing photo! Very encouraging- although at 66 and never athletic surfing is never going to happen for me...
Reminds me of that old Groucho Marx joke.
Doctor, Doctor! Will I be able to play the piano after my operation.
Doctor- Oh, yes of course you will.
Patient- Oh, that's good because I couldn't before....
 
Awesome update!!! And great photo! :happydance:

And, my ROM continued to increase well into my second year, and also a bit more in my third year!
 
I thought the Sky would open and balloons would fall, maybe some angels with trumpets - but alas,
How about some...love and a flower instead? :loveshwr::flwrysmile:
What an inspiration you are, and the photo...amazing!
Happy One Year Anniversary! Wishing you the best Spring and Summer ever.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom