TKR Following My Instincts

Just go easy, working harder doesn’t always equal progress.

Thank you @Jockette. You are Absolutely correct. Whether it is in 4 weeks, 4months or 14 months- I will get there- when my knee is ready. I’m just going to keep doing what I have been: stretch, ice/elevate, ADL, ice elevate, swim, ice/elevate, stationary bike, ice/elevate, pilates, ice/elevate (not all in one day!) I feel best when I am moving frequently with lots of ice/elevate in between. As you say “ROM is there are along waiting” we just have to heal. You are awesome!
 
Sorry your PT did that to you. It was irresponsible and thoughtless. Can you switch PT people? I did once after a shoulder scope when a PT person was acting like I was training for the Olympics vs trying to regain some strength. I went to the scheduling desk after that appointment and asked for ANYONE else.
 
He did say he wanted me at 130 but then he showed me what he wants me to be able to do and said I only need 2 exercises- so I am going to go with that and do my best.
Just curious what 2 exercises he recommends you do.
 
Keep it going!! I have found heat in the AM, doing your exercises, lots of biking and static extent stretches in both flexion and extension seem have been the most productive.

For flexion, I’ve been sitting on a chair and locking my TKR leg behind my good leg, holding the extent stretch and pushing it a little further upon breathing relaxation. For extension I will sit in my recliner or on a couch and have my TKR heel elevated on a cushion or towel roll so that my knee hangs free. This one is really good to add TENS therapy to, if u have a machine. Both of these exercises are static stretches. Read a book or whatever you need to keep your mind off the discomfort, the longer the better. My approach may be a bit unorthodox as I am constantly questioning the cookie cutter stamp style exercise routines. Working through the discomfort and staying mobile are extremely difficult some days.

You have a goal and something to look forward to, think of how this will all be just a memory in six months
 
@Cbet his exercises are 1. to kneel in a chair using the arms for support and slowly drop your butt back to you heels. (Super gnarly) I use a yoga bolster on floor facing the bed and do it this way. 2. Is straight leg raises with knee fully extended and quad engaged. Neither are my favorite I have 0+ Extension but my quad is week, so I prop my foot in a 0 knee and use a muscle stem unit.
 
@Samsrf Thank you for this .... I am struggling with flexion I am only at 90 and feel like my knee is so tight that I might break open my incision..... I think it is a lot of internal swelling so I am taking Aleve to hopefully reduce it and also elevating .....
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: shr
@Axx72 Yes! Thank you for the suggestions! Everytime I start to get frustrated I think I am just a little closer to riding a bike “in the world” - not just a spin bike. Fortunately I can swim and I have enough energy now to make it for 30 min. Also, being able to function in ADL and take short (1 mile walks) is all awesome. Focusing on what I CAN do and being grateful for that. Extension is not a problem, which is amazing since my pre surgery range was 10-100 degrees bent. And I just started using the E- stem extended and sit to stands to strengthen the quad. I stopped measuring flexion and am going by “feel” now being very aware of using both side equally.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Thank you for this .... I am struggling with flexion I am only at 90 and feel like my knee is so tight that I might break open my incision..... I think it is a lot of internal swelling so I am taking Aleve to hopefully reduce it and also elevating .....

@Cbet Oh my Gosh! You are only 3.5 weeks out!!! Go easy on yourself! I was only 70 degrees at 3 weeks and barely making it to the kitchen for a water. Last I measured was 7 weeks I was 105. I am 8.5 weeks now and haven’t measured, but EVERYTHING is getting easier . Even cooking dinner - which I love to do and haven’t been able to tolerate. What I can tell you I have learned is that for me stretching my hips & hip flexors has been key for flexion. I could get nerdy with scientific names- but I’ll keep it PG. the super long quad muscle that leads into the patellar tendon (that runs over the knee cap) also attaches way up at the hip. Specifically stretching this to lengthen the quad before I try to bend is significant. At 3 weeks I was looping a yoga strap around my foot (lying in bed on my back) and pulling straight leg towards me (extension and hamstring) but then opening my hip by dropping my leg open (as tolerated) and then across my body to stretch the outside of the hip as well. I also found wall slides (lying on back with hips close enough to make 90 degree bend) and sliding my leg down the wall (socks help). PT said to hook good ankle on top and use that weight , but it didn’t feel right so I actually would put a 3lb weight and hang out here while I watched tV to distract me. Lastly a different PT (because wall slides seemed most effective for me) told me to move away from the wall and slide down until your heal taps the bed. She said feeling like you got somewhere sometimes help- then you can slowly move you booty towards the wall to make the bend deeper. Most importantly - you are so close to surgery- just chill and don’t stress. I was way behind you at that point and totally stressed and wish I hadn’t. It will all works out and takes lots of time to heal! Pace yourself, you are only just getting started.
 
@Cbet p.s. My surgeon did not approve me to kneel until until my 6 week X-ray when he confirmed bone growth. Definitely check with the doc about what the baby knee can handle at your stage. I could never tolerate kneeling at your stage. I finally worked into it @ week 7
 
@Samsrf thank you so much, I absolutely love this forum, it is so nice to speak with others who are going through this recovery. I worry because everyone around me (friends, relatives) are always questioning my ROM and if I am doing my exercises.....ugh ...... they don't recognize that icing and elevating are part of the recovery and that is soooo frustrating :hairpulling:
 
. I know this is a long game , I am only just shy of week 7 - but today, it just sucks and I am staring at the ceiling- again with my knee above my heart and ice feeling like I’m not doing ANYTHING (PT, ADL, ROM) very well
Gosh you’re making me tired just reading what you’re doing.
I’m here on day 10 feeling inspired by your recovery rate.
You’re doing amazing and even if everyone else forgets what you’ve been through, you shouldn’t .
You should save some kindness to pat yourself on the back every night x
 
Saw this and thought it kind of describes our journey
[Bonesmart.org] Following My Instincts
 
@AngieM awe, thanks! That was an exceptionally hard day. 2 weeks later it feels like a distant memory. Haha. Just got to keep going!
 
9 weeks. More little victories this week. I rode my beach cruiser (I got a new one for Christmas with handbrakes!) for about 15 min. I was worried, so my hubby walked next to me when I started (like you would with a child) but once I realized I could do it we were off down the street.
Yesterday I was a little stiff (assume if it was the new activity)so I kept to ADL and gentle stretching and focused on form (in and out of chairs, up stairs, etc). I didn’t Ice as much as I would like to because it was a busy day, so I was exhausted when my day ended at 8 - but I woke up feeling great this am warmed up and stretched, did a lite pilates class (iced and elevated afterward for an hour) and got a 30 min pool swim in (I have never really used my legs much when I swim). I can actually bend my knee enough to do a flip turn but I have stopped short of pushing off the wall with surgical leg. (If you are a swimmer you know) now heating & stretching in Jacuzzi and then ice for the next 45 min before I tackle dinner & laundry.

I still have a little anxiety about ROM - I see my OS in 19 days and I haven’t “measured” in weeks so I am gearing up to tell him I am doing great and getting more range each day- but more important to me than the “number” is the fact that I am getting back to the things I love. I ditched the compression sock a few days ago - but yesterday I was on my feet almost all day and I did put it on to ice and elevate at the end of the day as I noticed some swelling in my calf. Can’t sleep with them anymore - too hot.

Anyway here’s to the 9 weeks past, and the long journey ahead. Cheers!
 
I was worried, so my hubby walked next to me when I started (like you would with a child) but once I realized I could do it we were off down the street.
That is fantastic! I remember feeling elated when I finally got back on mine.
I am doing great and getting more range each day- but more important to me than the “number” is the fact that I am getting back to the things I love.
You've got that right! It's getting back to normal life that's important. Don't let your OS put your recovery or ROM down. You are really doing well.
 
Keep Goin!!! Be consistent w/ your activities. I find when I get down, I sit down and ice, escape reality in a computer game or book for a couple hours and then jump back on the horse. Go for a walk or a light ride and get on with my daily routine. Exercises, stretches and physiotherapy sessions are extreme side of recovery therapy so getting a little bit better every day at the normal every day activities makes you feel good. It’s your own recovery timeline, u will get there!
 
Samsrf
I feel the same way, I am at 4 weeks and my knee feels like the stiffness and swelling are getting worse --even though I am doing physical therapy 3 x a week and exercises 2-3 times a day. I didn't realize what a long recovery process this would be and I don't think others who haven't had this surgery understand either, the scar looks good and they assume I am healing and can do lots of things. I think I am pushing myself too much and it is causing all the stiffness and swelling. I also feel weepy and defeated a lot. I think 7 hours of straight sleep sounds heavenly! I guess we just have to push on and one day we will wake up and not be thinking about our knees :)
 
Back
Top Bottom