TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

Today I'm exhausted. The fatigue is not normal for me and I don't like it.
But it IS normal for 8 weeks post-TKR. Did you read the recovery articles? Including this one Energy drain for TKRs? You can't avoid or stop this - you just have to live with it. And it will most likely last for at least another 6 weeks or even more.
I've decided to stop the pain meds and try just Tylenol along with my normal ibprofen.
I don't know whether to take the pain meds again. I certainly have more pain now, especially at night. I had been sleeping good. Not now.
Of course you must keep taking the meds. You're only 8 weeks out. Most people have to take pain meds for at least 12-14 weeks after which they find the pain lessening and just naturally start leaving longer gaps between doses and/or even missing a dose here and there. That's the natural way to wean off them and so you can eventually stop without problems at all.

You also need to read these as well
Healing: how long does it take?
Activity progression for TKRs
 
So still suffering from diarrhea,fatigue is very bad. Also having headaches, Only eating toast and applesauce. Drinking water and ginger ale to stay hydrated. Was sleeping pretty good until I stopped the pain meds (ortho would not prescribe again). Now I have a dull constant ache below my knee. Sleep is hard as I can't get comfortable. Move from bed to recliner and back. Taking my normal ibuprofen and Tylenol, but the ache continues.

At the moment I'm icing and leg is elevated

I'm getting very discouraged. Plan to call my family dr tomorrow. I would greatly appreciate prayers.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Praying for you. Hopefully your GP can help once you explain why you went off the pain meds. Maybe he can give you Tramadol that is refillable and will ease the pain and withdrawal. Shame on your OS for not refilling your pain medication IMO. He should know how much TKR hurts. Let me know how you are doing. I'm sorry you are in so much pain and not sleeping well . We are all here for you and vent anytime you need to. Everyone here is like a family and are here for you :tantrum2:
 
Oh my gosh, thank you. I truly needed some encouragement today. I can't begin to describe how much help, advice and caring I have found here. Tx again


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was exhausted for months and I was 57 when I had my RTKR. Oxycodone was my pain med and I had no issues, of course everyone is different. I took it on schedule for the first 4-5 weeks, but then began taking less because I was doing less (had a 2nd surgery on my knee) . I think that gradual cut back worked for me. I hope your GP can help you tomorrow.
 
You know I wonder if this is why my OS prescibed oxycodone to start and then down to hydrocodone--maybe it helps with the adjustment.

Anyway I think it's inhumane for a doc to just cut you off.

They should explain the idea of reducing the pain meds gradually as you need them less.

I dealt with my OS' nurse, but he had no problem refilling. I would explain that I was taking them every x hours but still needed some and I'd get a short prescription. My guess is the OS wanted me to check in, but had no problem refilling if I still needed the meds. I was mostly off the meds except at night by 12 weeks. But I was taking tylenol by the clock.
 
If you can take Tylenol, it really helps. Take 1000 mg at a time, no more than 4000 mg in a 24-hr period.
 
I'm getting very discouraged. Plan to call my family dr tomorrow
It's normal to feel rubbish at your stage of recovery, don't let that fact get you even more down.

Your doc should be able to prescribe pain relief, surely? That'll help a lot!
 
Tx to each if you. It helps to hear your stories


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Did you go to the Doctor today? I hope he helped you. How are you feeling, any better today? :puppysmooze:
 
I thought things were better, I had toast and a banana this morning. Little boneless chicken and mashed potatoes for lunch. Unfortunately I was back in the bathroom this afternoon

I have my first out patient pt tomorrow so will wait till after that will probably call dr.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ended up calling dr this afternoon. It's possible I have c diff or some other bacterial infection. Lots of lab work tomorrow.

Just when I feel I'm making progress in the recovery process this hits me. Last visit with home pt today and my bending measurement has gone the wrong way. I'm sure because I've been sick and not doing any of the stretches. Very discouraged tonight


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just when I feel I'm making progress in the recovery process this hits me. Last visit with home pt today and my bending measurement has gone the wrong way. I'm sure because I've been sick and not doing any of the stretches. Very discouraged tonight
I would not fret or worry at all about your numbers---the important issue is to take care of your stomach ailment.

There is no "window of opportunity when it comes to ROM, so your progress may be slowed down a little, but you will get to where you want to be.
 
Ill be honest, @Blueslady , I thought about c-diff when I read post #151. That was something my docs warned me about due to multiple antibiotics, but I think you can get it by coming in contact with it.
But at least there'll be labs done tomorrow and you can be on your way to feeling better soon.
 
:iagree: Tim is right. I didn't bend my knee for a month and was able to get good ROM. It'll come, but get your stomach settled first.
 
Glad you are seeing the doctor. Hope a solution is found quickly!
 
Rx for the encouragement folks. I know I need to be thankful for so many things. My husband is a four year cancer survivor, my sons and their families are healthy and happy.

I am thankful, but after 8 weeks of this tkr journey becoming sick, losing energy, etc has gotten me down a bit. Hopefully the lab tests will help the doctor find why I've lost 25 lbs, and have diarrhea every time I eat.

This site and you wonderful folks are so helpful. I wish everyone having a joint replacement could be told about bonesmart


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Please let us know what the labs say and how you're feeling.
 
Still waiting to hear from my doctor. Will call this afternoon if I don't hear anything this morning. On a positive note ()
The knee is doing much better. Able to sleep in my bed most of the night which is such a blessing. Also walking without the cane around the house. Doing heel slides and stretches 2-3 times a day. Icing and elevating also.

Now if I could get this stomach thing under control things would be good. No appetite and what I do eat goes right through me. Tired of toast, peanut butter, soup and applesauce. Lol

On an even more positive note, there are so many people who are suffering such pain that it makes my issue seem very very minor.

I wish you all a wonderful day


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom