TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

↑
Are they really that more painful than a hip replacement?
Only by about 120%!

Not what I wanted to hear! Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?
 
And the largest joint. And surrounded by approx an 8th of the soft tissue that the hip is which is why swelling is so much more of an issue - as if we didn't all know!
 
I had a hip replacement June 2014, rtkr May 28, 2015, and a like last Thursday. The hip surgery was by far the worst. I really dreaded knee surgery but it was no problem. I'm walking with the support of one cane and in general following the bonesmart way and am a happy little clam
If you need knee surgery you won't regret it

Linda
 
I told my therapist today that my best advise and support has come from this site,no kudos to all of you. My bend is 105 after six weeks. While in didn't think that was great, she said after no stretching all weekend she was ok with it. She wants me to use the walker less, cane more. I have four more days of pain meds then going to try just Tylenol and ice and elevation. I know when I've done too much. More pain and fatigue set in. Pt says 14 weeks is what she considers the initial recovery period.

Although my sons don't understand and think I should be all recovered, she suggested telling them to have a knee replaced then talk about it. Lol. My husband however, has been supportive and understanding. He has lung cancer and I have hated that he's had to do so much. But I do all the cooking, most of the cleaning. He does laundry as its in the basement. By 10 at night I'm really tired. Last night was the first good nights sleep, don't know if it was because of the busy weekend or recovery progressing. Either way I as glad

Have a great day all.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, I know how fantastic that sleep felt. Happy for you!
 
She wants me to use the walker less, cane more.
Use what you feel comfortable using. Don't go by anyone's schedule only your knee's!
I have four more days of pain meds then going to try just Tylenol and ice and elevation.
That's not good at 6 weeks. If your surgeon won't prescribe any more, get in touch with your GP (primary care) and see if he will help out. Many who have done that find their GP is very helpful. But you can't go from now on just with Tylenol. Not good enough!
 
I called surgeons ofc this morning to request another script of oxycod/acem 10-325 and nurse said she would ask dr. I live in ny state and its a law dr can mail script or you can pick it up. I have enough taking e 3 per day to last till sat. If he wont give me a script I will call my primary care

The pain is better, but the pt wakes it up as does over activity.

Yesterday i took less tylenol during the day so i could take tylenol pm before bed. Great night sleep. Yippee

Hope u all are having a good day. I especially want to thank josephine for All her great advice. This site should be mandatory for anyone considering joint replacement


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dr did agree to one last scrip with lower dose and said I need to wean myself off. If I still have pain I will call my regular dr. After 6-8 hours my knee becomes quite uncomfortable. Ice helps. Some days I know I didn't rest, ice and elevate enough. On those days the pain reminds me to slow down. It's hard when you finally begin to feel better to not over do. I'm sure many folks have the same issue.

Blessings to everyone.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Rom today is 114 which is very good for me. Increased reps of exercise to 20. Pain much better controlled. Pt says 14 weeks is the major recovery time, so I'm almost half way there. I feel almost normal again. Hope to be driving next week.

Good luck to all who are struggling. Blessing to each of you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad the doc gave you some more pain meds. You may find you need them less in the next couple of weeks, but it is important to keep the pain at bay. I liked my OS' approach which was to start you on the stronger stuff and then switch to something milder, but give you enough to keep the pain from getting control. I do know plain tylenol wouldn't have been cutting it for me at 6 weeks or so; especially at night.
 
Increased reps of exercise to 20.
That's not a good idea. It will increase the swelling and the pain and inhibit flexion. Not what you want right now. But your flexion is presently good so don't spoil it by doing more of this stuff. You're only 7 weeks out - 114 is fantastic! Now let it rest and see more come without you doing anything!
 
Josephine you are one smart cookie. The exercises i do are standing with 2.4 lb ankle weights. I do side leg
lifts, knee lifts , back kicks and sitting leg lifts. Pt increased reps from 10-20. Two days now and my pain has increased a lot. Im dropping back to ten reps. Im now on less pain meds so ive been trying to ice more often as that does help with the pain. Pt comes again monday and im telling him im not doing twenty reps.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My son, aged 32, is the same. my daughter, 33, has worked in nursing homes with TKR patients and understands the long haul. Also, some friends who have never gone thru this were posting on my FB page about wishing for a speedy recover. It is hard when people act like its a little surgery. I try not to get offended by their ignorance. Those who have had it understand and thats why this form is such a blessing. Do what feels best for you, not what others expect. Sometimes I think even the drs and PT don't get how hard andtruly painful it is unless they've had a TKR or THR.


TKR # 2 09/18/15. right knee, TKR#11/17/14 left knee, THR March 5, 2015, right hip
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The exercises i do are standing with 2.4 lb ankle weights. I do side leg
lifts, knee lifts , back kicks and sitting leg lifts. Pt increased reps from 10-20. Two days now and my pain has increased a lot. Im dropping back to ten reps. Im now on less pain meds so ive been trying to ice more often as that does help with the pain. Pt comes again monday and im telling him im not doing twenty reps.
Tell him to stop the weights, too!

Weights put too much stress on your knee right now. They should never be used before at least 3 months after surgery and they're usually not necessary even then.
 
For some reason my pain level has greatly increased. Actually I think it's from the increased reps with the three lb weights. Did only 10 reps this morning and think I will do them minus the weights this afternoon. I can't take another pain pill for an hour so am icing trying to get some relief. I feel like it's townsites forward and three back. I start feeling good and the whamo pain and swelling come back big time.
I have a friend from out of state who is visiting her grand kids this week and she has all these things she wants to do. Not sure how many I will be able to do.

Grrrrr


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are still in recovery so ease up on yourself. This summer I was rehabbing a new hip and realized that PT was causing more problems than helping. After talking with my OS I quit. The only exercise I did/do is water aerobics. Nothing hurts but all my joints get some attention. If it hurts back off.

As for friends, they have to understand you just had a major surgery. It is hard to slow down, I know that well.

@lilyfair, getting other people who are not in our situation to understand is very hard to do. I can't stand it when someone blurts out,"oh so and so had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago and is back to normal"! I don't know why they do and say the things they do. It is not just hip and knee replacements, it seems any medical condition. Maybe they think they are being helpful but I. Reality it just makes us feel like we are babies if in 6 weeks we are not back to our normal routine!!!!! People just don't think.
 
I made my husband watch the video of a TKR on YouTube. He made it 10 minutes! Maybe your family will understand what you are going through. You are still in early recovery. It takes time. Your ROM is doing good. Don't let PT push you. If it hurts don't do it. I am sure your company will find things to do on their own. You need to rest ice and elevate. You are doing to much . The dust will be there tomorrow
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom