TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

Most definitely lose the weights. I would skip PT altogether until your friend's visit. Then doing things with her will be your PT. I might be a slacker, but I really find that just living and doing a little more every day rehabs my knee just fine.
 
@Blueslady
I agree with Slainte.
Lose those weights and stop doing so much PT. You really don't need to do lots of exercises in order for your knee to recover.
I had minimum PT for my revision to TKR (just 3 outpatient visits) adn none at all for my latest TKR. All I did was walk around the house and do a few (very few!) heel slides, when I thought of it.
Heel slides and how to do them
Both my knees have excellent ROM and I can do everything i want to with them.

Do remember this, from the BoneSmart mantras:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
 
Told pt today not using weights. Will do heel slides etc. i see the dr on Wednesday. A bit concerned over redness and sore to touch. Did lots of elevating and ice.

This site has been a god send. When i feel depressed over my progress or lack of, when the pain grabs me i sign on and find comfort, support, advice snd humor to help me realize it will get better. Thank you everyone that takes time to post.

Blessings to each of you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good for you for standing up to the PT. Hope your OS finds nothing amiss.
 
I never used weights on my ankles and I healed just fine.
 
I was wondering if anyone found there energy level to be low. I'm seven weeks post tkr and while an out of town friend was visiting had three very busy days. Lunches, dr visits, and shopping at a warehouse store (used a motorized cart)

Today I'm exhausted. Not to mention that something I ate has upset my tummy leading to diarrhea. But the fatigue is not normal for me and I don't like it.

Anyone else have it this long after surgery


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It took me about 3 months to get mine back and I still need a nap after 5 very long months. You are still early in your recovery and you made the "over did it club" lol I have been a member since 8 weeks out. Your medication might have a reason for the tummy problems. Some foods don't sit right. I was on blood thinners after mine and was not able to eat anything green. I was on the K diet. It was awful not being able to eat a salad. It takes time for your recovery. It's hard but you will get your energy back.
 
Tx for your response. I've had more pain since my three days of overdoing. The pain is right at the incision. Doing lots of ice and rest today. I had the other knee done 8 years ago and don't remember this
Much pain or fatigue

I've decided to stop the pain meds and try just Tylenol along with my normal ibprofen.

I love this site and all those willing to share their experiences and advise. Blessings


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have one more question. I wonder if anyone had withdrawal symptoms when stopping pain meds. I was taking oxycod/acetaminophen 10/325. Then dr decreased to 5/35. I only took one at 4am yesterday, but had bad diarrhea in the afternoon. None today, only tylenol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had the other knee done 8 years ago and don't remember this
Much pain or fatigue
I think you tend to forget the bad stuff. I am already, when I re-read my posts here, even, some of the early, painful, details seem distant. I do remember my fatigue onset was almost instant. Going along fine during the day, then suddenly searching for a place to sleep.
 
Maybe your OS or GP can do the taper down for you. Stopping pain meds can be hard if you are trying to do it on your own. You have been on them for 7 weeks so I would check with your doctor first. Withdrawal can be hard on your body and have some nasty side effects. Please take your pain meds until you talk to a doctor. Call first thing Monday morning for advise. Let us know how you are doing :doggie:
 
I'm going to just go ahead and state the obvious.....you were 8 yrs younger when you had your other knee replaced! I had a hard time with lack of stamina. Still ( at 3 months) I have those days when I just poop out!
Patience! Patience! :thud:
 
I made the dumb mistake of stopping oxycodone suddenly ( and then had to restart anyway ) but definitely had diarrhea almost immediately. For sure a withdrawal effect. When I stop again I will wean sloooowly !!!
 
Thank you everyone. I don't know whether to take the pain meds again. I certainly have more pain now, especially at night. I had been sleeping good. Not now.

I guess I will call my family dr on Monday. I really don't feel well at all


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am about a week ahead of you and was feeling the same way at 3 weeks? I was also feeling bad for feeling bad...thinking I was not doing as well as I should. I find this forums to be really helpful. We will get through this. Hang in there!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom