TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

That's a long time to go without answers. I hope a GI doctor can figure out what's going on. It is distressing to have another medical problem and the TKR recovery at the same time. This is a good place to vent. We all have encountered one problem or another. I found that having someone there to offer words of encouragement very helpful. I do hope you are feeling much better soon!:flwrysmile:
 
Great news, my chronic diarrhea seems to be gone. The dr feels it may be the large amounts of ibprofen I've taken for years for arthritis. I'm now on just over the counter strength. She also has me taking a probiotic. I'm just so relieved to have things back to normal. I want to thank the lovely people on this site for their support. It was very much appreciated as this problem lasted well over three weeks.

I had my last in home therapy a few weeks ago and because of my tummy issue was not able to start out patient therapy until today. While my bend is at 108, the knee is very tight as is my hamstring and thigh muscle she used tens unit to try to get some of the swelling down. Also gave me exercises to do stuff home. By this afternoon my knee was aching more than it has in a week. I've iced twice already and the left over pain pills are calling my name, however I don't want to start them again.

I told her about this site and she jotted it down to share with patients that might need some support

I hope you are having a great pain free day


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad your stomach has turned the corner and now you can concentrate on your knee. I also take a probiotic to keep the good bacteria in my gut with the antibiotics I'm on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, my chronic diarrhea seems to be gone. The dr feels it may be the large amounts of ibprofen I've taken for years for arthritis. I'm now on just over the counter strength. She also has me taking a probiotic. I'm just so relieved to have things back to normal
I am so pleased that things have settled down. :yes!::yay:

I don't think it's ever a good idea to take anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen long-term. There are so many dangers attached to them.
 
Tx celle and Kari. I had been taking 800 mg ibprofen three times a day for years. Now I'm taking 400 three times a day. I do feel the arthritis pain more but at least I can eat and not have to run to the bathroom. I was not willing to go far from home because I never knew when it would hit. I am still being cautious of what I eat, but at least I'm eating more than toast, applesauce, soup and bananas. Lol

My therapist was pleased with my recovery to date. I'm not, but that's because I'm not a patient person. Surgery was 9/1 and I still use a cane except in the house. After reading many of the posts I realize I'm very lucky and need to remember what it was like 8 weeks ago compared to now, huge improvements.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think using the cane is just fine for now. You'll be able to walk longer and wean away from the cane as you feel confident and secure. One step at a time.
 
Ty karriB. Tonight after pt my knee is really bothering me. I have a feeling it will be a recliner night.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Blueslady , I am so glad you have resolved your problem. I took amoxicillin and had the side effect of diarrhea. My gastro dr. suggestsed a probiotic called Florastor. It is different from many on the market (and expensive) but it REALLY did a great job for me. I never knew there were so many different probiotics! Keeping you in my prayers for continued good tummy vibes and a patient knee recovery.
 
Timetolive, that's the exact same probiotic my dr told me to get. And yes it's very expensive but I think that's what got my system back on track. How long are you to take it. I buy mine at walmart


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I stopped it once I got my tummy issues resolved and finished my amoxicillin right before my surgery. CVS had a generic one on BOGO, so I lucked out there! I may finish it off - although I need to get my liver function back to normal before adding anything "new" to my system.
 
I just changed from Cultrelle to Plexus Probio 5. When I was on an IV antibiotic and an oral for 6 weeks we were worried about C-diff. I asked my ID if I should eat lots of yogurt, but she said I'd have to eat gallons of it to do any good, but that I could begin a probiotic. Haven't missed a day of it yet and haven't had a stomach virus since I started, even with my first graders coming down with everything under the sun.
 
No it can't hurt at all, in my opinion. Many of the teachers at my school now take a probiotic, my mom just started as well.
 
Hello all. This journey is so filled with ups and downs. Knee is doing good, except when trying to sleep in bed. Tummy problems finally seem to be improving. However after physical therapy yesterday my back was really hurting all night. Moved to the recliner around 2:30. When I got up I realized I somehow hurt the groin muscle on the other side. It hurts with every step. My husband had to have surgery today. Because of his brain radiation he does not do much driving. I drove and when we got to the hospital there were no handicapped parking spots. The only one was quite far from the entrance. I found using my cane helps a bit. Seems like it's always two steps forward and one back.

However. As thanksgiving approaches I am thankful for any progress.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Eleven weeks post op and went to the mall, bakery, meat market and lunch for the first time. S till a lot of swelling and pain on the outside of my knee. But compared to how I felt 8/9 weeks ago it's doing good. Pt worked me a bit too hard and had a groin pull, but that will go away quickly I'm sure.

Too those of you just starting your knee replacement journey, my best advise is too be patient and accept any help,offered during your recovery. This is not an easy journey, but ice and elevation, rest and patience are the best things you can do. Please read some of the articles available on this site. They offer much information and guidance.

I hope you all have a happy thanksgiving


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so happy that your stomach isn't giving you anymore problems and you were able to get out without worries.
 
Thank you karrieb. How are you doing


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went down the basement steps for the first time today. Going down was a piece of cake, coming back up not so much. The thigh part of my other leg seems very weak. I've heard to go down with the bad and up with the good,mind I did, but it sure was a struggle. Any one else have similar issues


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went down the basement steps for the first time today. Going down was a piece of cake, coming back up not so much. The thigh part of my other leg seems very weak. I've heard to go down with the bad and up with the good,mind I did, but it sure was a struggle. Any one else have similar issues
What you experienced is all pretty normal and to be expected. We may gain ROM, but strength and stamina are normally the last two aspects to come back---and remember that with strength and stamina, our muscles do help us achieve balance, so when they are not strong enough, our balance is off, too.

Down the road, when the strength and stamina are regained, going up the steps will be another one of thsoe victories.
 
Referee54, thank you for your response. My therapist has me working on balance issues so I'm hopeful this will improve. My hubby has been doing laundry, and as much as I appreciate it, I'd rather do it my self.

For the most part my knee is doing very well now. I'm having issues with the other side, groin pain, strength issues. I have arthritis ( who doesn't lol) and have gone from prescription strength ibproufen to over the counter strength. The change is really effecting my back and hips. But the bad gi issues have disappeared. I guess it's a trade off.

I so appreciate hearing from others.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom