TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

Last dose was 10pm, at 3:30am my knee was one big ache. Finally at 4 took pain pill. Anyone else still have pain at five weeks out? I am trying
to do more, use cane mire, walker less
Frustrated that pain continues. Going to try to rest more today

Prayers for all the wonderful people that post either looking for help, or offering encouragement. U all rock


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Did you try the regimen I suggested - with the Tylenol?
 
I can't take Tylenol as its in the pain med. I do take 800 mg ibprufen three times a day. I understand the physician not wanting patients to become addicted to pain meds. Could I ask others what their activity level and pain was at five weeks post op

Josephine, I'd like to thank you so much for your support. This site has been so helpful in many ways
 
@Blueslady
The schedule Josephine suggested for you did take account of the Tylenol that is in your current pain medications. She knows her stuff, so I suggest you try the regime she worked out for you.
Tylenol is a much better pain reliever than Ibuprofen, which is primarily an anti-inflammatory.

Yes, it's perfectly normal to still be feeling pain at 5 weeks after surgery. Some people still need to take something at 3 months out.

When you go to your grandson's wedding, make opportunities to sit and rest, with your leg elevated, if possible. Do make sure that you rest a lot afterwards. Be prepared to leave the celebrations early, because it's still early days in this year-long recovery. Do you remember this article?
Activity progression for TKRs
 
I was thinking the same thing about the meds . Her advive was really great. I would give it a shot. Also think about taking a bag for ice if needed. Always plenty of ice at a wedding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
The other thing might be to ask your doc about a different medication. I know mine had me on oxycodone for about the first 3 weeks and then I went down to hydrocodone, which is a bit weaker, for several weeks.
 
Josephine thanks for the suggested med schedule. Im sending my husnand to ge some 500mg tylenol. All i have is 650. I so appreciate your help and knowledge. Family coming in for a wedding, while im gappy to see them it means a lot of extra work and that probably means pain.
Tx agaib
 
while I'm happy to see them it means a lot of extra work and that probably means pain.
Hey! YOU don't do all the hostessing! Delegate it to other members of the family! This is one time when the kitchen is strictly OFF LIMITS! I'm sure your family will be more than happy to help out and to clear up/wash up afterwards if you ask them.
 
First I wanted you to know I'm starting to follow your suggested pain schedule. I'm hoping it's the answer. I understand a physicians concern over becoming addicted to pain meds. However, taking the oxyco/acme 325/10 every 8 hours is not working. By about seven hours it's like I gave this awful toothache in my knee.

I suspect I'm doing too much also. All the cooking, folding and putting away laundry, sweeping floors etc. hubby took me to grocery and I stocked up on easy foods for when son and his family come for the weekend. Cold cuts, chips, pre made salads, bagels, muffins and frozen breakfast sandwiches. No big meals. Saturday is the wedding, so really only need breakfast and light lunch before the late afternoon wedding. They will leave early Sunday morning.

I so enjoy reading everyone's posts. The folks who are doing extremely well cheer me that I too will get there. Those that are struggling remind me it could be worse. This site should be required reading for anyone considering joint replacement
 
I suspect I'm doing too much also. All the cooking, folding and putting away laundry, sweeping floors etc. hubby took me to grocery and I stocked up on easy foods for when son and his family come for the weekend. Cold cuts, chips, pre made salads, bagels, muffins and frozen breakfast sandwiches. No big meals. Saturday is the wedding, so really only need breakfast and light lunch before the late afternoon wedding. They will leave early Sunday morning.
Oh my! Are you ever doing too much! :groan: No wonder you're having such a lot of pain!
Do you remember this article, from the recovery reading list that Roy Gardiner left you on the first page of this thread?
Activity progression for TKRs
I reckon it's just over 5 weeks now since you had major surgery - not even 6 weeks yet. Until now, you should basically have been doing nothing except resting and taking a few short walks. Not cooking, not cleaning, not being responsible for shopping, or planning what to feed visitors. From the article:
"Weeks 6 and onward - add to previous
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: a very little ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after. Wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, NOT you!!"


So, take to your bed. Let your visitors look after you. Let them get their own meals. Your knee needs you to do this and it will thank you by not hurting.

I'm going to give you another article, which seems relevant to your situation:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
Tx celle. My husband keeps saying im doing too much. My sons treat thus like i gave a cold and its no big deal. So ive decided to take your advise and rest snd ice more.

I truly appreciate your taking the time to respond. God bless
 
Grandsons wedding was Saturday. Made it from 2:30 till 8:00 before knee started really bothering me. Had a great time. However, son and family from philly think that at almost six weeks post op I should be almost fully recovered. Think I should be doing much more because friend of theirs was doing fantastic at 4 weeks. I didn't even try to make them understand. I know how long the process is tx to all of you. I also know I'm doing ok. Some do better, most do about like me.

If I had not found this site I might have thought they were right and I was being a baby. Lol

Tx again for all the knowledge, support and kindness


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Think I should be doing much more because friend of theirs was doing fantastic at 4 weeks
I looked and felt like I was doing fantastic at 4 weeks, too. For short periods of time. 5 1/2 hours later, I would have been dragging badly, you did fine!
 
@Blueslady, I am enjoying reading about your recovery. I have not had my RTKR yet, but have been reading lots on here. It AMAZES me that everyone that finds out I am having TKR, knows someone that has had it or they have had it. Everyone acts as if they had NO pain AT ALL and it was the greatest thing. I think that perhaps it is a case as in childbirth - you forget the horrendous pain and just remember the joy of holding your newborn. Not many seem to want to tell the "nitty gritty" about those first weeks (as described on here). I have decided to just smile and say, "I am so happy they had such a wonderful experience" and move on. You are doing an amazing job and I am proud of your recovery. You should be too. :loveshwr:
 
Think I should be doing much more because friend of theirs was doing fantastic at 4 weeks.
We have a saying here "it's the neighbour's cousin's brother-in-law's friend" phenomenon and they don't exist! People only see what they want to see and the very thought that a surgery could result in weeks of pain and struggle is too much for them to take on board!
 
However, son and family from philly think that at almost six weeks post op I should be almost fully recovered. Think I should be doing much more because friend of theirs was doing fantastic at 4 weeks. I didn't even try to make them understand. I know how long the process is tx to all of you. I also know I'm doing ok. Some do better, most do about like me.
If I had not found this site I might have thought they were right and I was being a baby. Lol
Tx again for all the knowledge, support and kindness
Nobody really understands what this recovery is like until they've been through it themselves. That's why we're here - to help other people get through it. (Thank you for the appreciation).

Somehow, relatives always seem to know someone who had a miracle recovery. Much of the time, that person didn't even have a knee replacement.
It's a shame that every relative who thinks you should be doing better can't be made to watch a video of a knee replacement. They might understand better if they did that.

I'm glad you had a good time at your grandson's wedding. :yes!::)
 
Everyone acts as if they had NO pain AT ALL and it was the greatest thing.

Before surgery, they asked my pain on a scale of 1-10. By that scale, my pain on day 2 was 30!

I have this theory that they take all the pain they are going to save you in the coming years with your new knee, and concentrate it into the weeks post-surgery! :rofsign:
 
You got that one right. The trick is to never be able to feel that week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Without my pain meds I was in a LOT of pain. Wberry isn't right, the goal in the first weeks...stay ahead of the pain. Being sleepy and groggy was ok with me if it meant no feeling the pain.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom