TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

I'm One week ahead of you and the last two weeks have been terrible. I think a lot of that was due to taking the Oxy which really messed with my mind so I had my OS change my pain medication.

Also, it sounds like you need a new PT. I am at same flexion as you - mid-80s, but my PT doesn't force it. There is no way I would even consider and MUA at this time.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Supposed to take pain med every six hours and had to take it at five hours
How many tablets are you taking at a time? One or two?
When in so much pain i could not do the exercises
Did you not read my comments on your answers? Don't do any exercises! Just stretches. Go read my post again.
Laundry folded and put away, chicken thighs in the oven.
Honey, you shouldn't BE doing laundry and cooking. It's much too early and why you are in so much pain.
Therapist comes today and will be disappointed in lack of rom.
Ignore her. DO NOT let her force you or push on your knee. No squats, lunges or high stepping.
 
Some of these posts were also made in another member's thread so were moved here. Please post your recovery comments in this thread as this is your recovery thread. Okay? Think of it as being like your hospital notes.
 
I am taking one tablet of oxycod/acetaminophen 10-325 mg every five hors. Script says every six hours but pain gets ahead of me if I wait the six

I use the term exercises when I should say stretches. Heel slides etc. but, at 4 wks today the knee has 90 degree bend

Josephine I so appreciate your help. I told the therapist that both he and the dr have not had tkr and this site is folks who have. They can offer better insite
 
Oh did you? :heehee: And what did they have to say to that?
But good for you - cus you're right!
 
I am taking one tablet of oxycod/acetaminophen 10-325 mg every five hors. Script says every six hours but pain gets ahead of me if I wait the six
Well, there's your problem - doesn't the label say "1 or 2"? One tablet is inadequate for a knee. You need two at a time for an effective dose.
 
Label says one every six hours. Good news is that i seemed to have turned a corner. Less pain, more moving around. Still fatigue and no appetite. Those are minor things i can deal with
 
I have enough pain meds for five more days. Although pain is better controlled,me hen I try to stretch the time between doses out the pain is back with a Vengence. Looking for others who have had to take pain meds longer than five weeks. Thanks for all the great information you all share
 
Almost all of us have had to take pain meds for longer than 5 weeks. It's normal to need them after such major surgery.

Phone your OS or your regular doctor now, for replacement medications, so that you don't run out over the weekend.
 
Yes, do call now. Often the OS will refill for you, but they just don't want to give you many at a time. They want you to check in.
 
Almost all of us have had to take pain meds for longer than 5 weeks. It's normal to need them after such major surgery.
Wow! Is this normal for knee replacements? Are they really that more painful than a hip replacement?
 
Knee replacements are MUCH harder than hips. Recovery is much longer, too. The knee is the most complex joint in the body.
 
10 weeks here and still taking Percocet at night. I take Aleve and Tylenol ES during the day. You are progressing well. You should be patting yourself on the back not berating yourself for not being further ahead. This is a long journey we are on my dear and trying to rush it will only prolong it. You are at 90. Yay for you!! You are doing great!
 
Thank you, thank you. The support here is awesome. Im trying so hard on the stretches. But dont see much improvement. I know im being impatient


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Are they really that more painful than a hip replacement?
Only by about 120%!

I know I'm being impatient
You're 4 weeks out. Still in a baby in diapers! You've got a long old way to go yet - like about 6 more weeks at least.

You're not hurting yourself with those stretches, are you?
 
Pt keeps pushing me to push myself. Says I need to break up the scar tissue. Right or wrong. Everything I read here says not to push it
Pain is pretty well controlled except when doing heel slides etc. fatigue is huge, I try to nap at let an hour during the day. Sleep in bed a few hours at a time then I have to get up to go potty. I assume most of this is normal at four weeks post o
 
Pt keeps pushing me to push myself. Says I need to break up the scar tissue. Right or wrong. Everything I read here says not to push it
I made reasonable progress the first two weeks post op. Then I started office PT. Next 4 weeks, I made NO progress, had a lot of painful days. I dropped out of PT with OS's consent. I have started making ROM progress again. For what it's worth, YMMV!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pt keeps pushing me to push myself. Says I need to break up the scar tissue. Right or wrong. Everything I read here says not to push it
Pain is pretty well controlled except when doing heel slides etc
Your PT is talking rubbish. You do not have scar tissue and you do not need to break it up. I think your PT needs to take a refresher course, because he/she is using an out-dated philosophy.

Don't do heel slides until they hurt. Remember this?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
 
Move the knee but it's not a "workout." A little throughout the day goes a long way.
 
Pt again tomorrow. Walking mire and more with cane. Still not a lot of bend, but im not getting discouraged. Love reading everyones posts, puts things in prospective. Tx to everyone fir the support and encouragement .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom