TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

Pt keeps pushing me to push myself. Says I need to break up the scar tissue. Right or wrong.
According to most US PTs, everyone automatically has 'scar tissue' when in fact it's quite rare! So don't listen to her. Celle's right, she's talking rubbish.
Pain is pretty well controlled except when doing heel slides
Then you're not doing them properly. Read this Heel slides and how to do them
fatigue is huge
Of course it is! Energy drain for TKRs
I try to nap at let an hour during the day.
Not enough. Remember the mantra - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
Still not a lot of bend
Do you know what your number is? Did the PT measure it?
 
Tx Josephine. I did read the articles again. Thanks for the reminder. PT did a measurement and got 94. I'm at 4 1/2 weeks postop. I feel pretty good except for the fatigue and the discomfort when doing the stretches such as heel slides. I've been trying to use the cane more often. I think I'm just expecting too much too soon. I so appreciate your kindness thank you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing fine with a 94 bend at this stage. My OS said he was looking for 90 at the six week mark. I followed the bone smart mantra and got to 120 by 7 weeks. My pt manipulated my knee only once and I used a floor pedal thing and my recumbent bike to increase my ROM. I rocked the pedals back and forward as far as they would go, held the position for 5 seconds and relaxed. I did that 5 to 10 times about twice per day for 5 weeks then I had enough of a bend to pedal properly. I did a few heel slides a day for the first week only. I haven't done any since. I am now 10 weeks out and have full ROM. I use the bike now to strengthen the muscles.

It is very easy to do too much too soon and there is a reason why they say that patience is a virtue. It's virtually impossible to be patient :loll:.

Good luck to you in your recovery and remember that if it hurts, stop doing it!
 
I had same experience today. Pt told me I had to push through pain and assisted.. hurt. Hurt. And tonight I have been suffering. .thus quiet on site. My dr. Gave me new prescription but said to try to cut back a bit on dosage or extend length of time between pills. After this push today. I'm in so much pain..hoping better tomorrow. Went upstairs today for first time. Anxious for real shower and my bed tomorrow night. Need to know more about the scar tissue thing. .is this true or false? So grateful for the opinions and connections on this site. Sign me... Up Tonight AND IN pain.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
@theresav
Never, ever let your let your PT hurt you again. Pushing through the pain is absolutely the wrong thing to do. It can inflame your wounded knee and make recovery slower.

In spite of what some therapists tell you, very few people develop harmful scar tissue (by which they mean adhesions). They aren't just hanging around, waiting to pounce if you don't exercise enough. That is an outdated fallacy. I suggest you read these articles:
Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions.
 
Today was a better day. Tuesday it eill be five weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Meant five weeks. Still struggling with the bending but otherwise doing ok. My dr also now only wants me to take 3 pain pills a day. Will try it and see. I know hes concerned about addiction , but i still have pain at night and after stretching.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
5 weeks is too soon to be cutting back on your pain relief. Since you're taking the meds for pain after major surgery, there is very little risk that you will get addicted. Can you try another doctor, to see if he/she will be more generous with the pain relief?
This article may help:
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Thanks I will read them. Does seem like it can be achieved in a slow and steady approach

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
I had a redo due to infection. I was not allowed to exercise my knee at all, except walk for over six weeks. I am now 11 was out. I have great range of motion and got it just from living. No pushing, etc. I just got dressed, walked, got in and out of bed etc. You get good knees and good range of motion with no painful things done to you.

Please relax. Control your therapist. She works for you.

Don't hurry healing. It takes a year. My left knee is 18 months old. Hardly notice it's there. My new one will too in due time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So five weeks post tkr on Tuesday. Still considerable pain. Dr has decreased my pain meds in half starting tomorrow. Grrr
Still using walker much of the time. Any one else at this stage


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am 11 weeks out using a walker. There are no perfect rules/schedule for healing. My knee itself is fine. I am still having balance issues. I am pleased with my progress and that's really is all that matters


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am 11 weeks out using a walker. There are no perfect rules/schedule for healing. My knee itself is fine. I am still having balance issues. I am pleased with my progress and that's really is all that matters


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you. I have no problem using walker. Especially outside when I venture out. Would prefer to be seen as a slow person so I don't get knocked over by someone.[emoji259]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Tx ladies. I'm going to my grandsons wedding this weekend and taking the walker. My next question is on pain meds. I'm five weeks post op tkr and my dr just lowered my pain pills to three per day. Works if I just sit and don't do anything,me specially the stretches. I realize Drs are concerned about patients becoming addicted, but pain control makes activities of daily living so much easier. My med is oxycod/ acetaminophen 10-325. Comments, suggestions


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would ask about supplementing with advice or whatever goes with that in between doses? Can you drive on that dose you take?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
I would ask about supplementing with advice or whatever goes with that in between doses? Can you drive on that dose you take?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Meant to say advil or tylenol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
With oxycodone and acetaminophen 10-325 x 3 daily you could also take up to 3,000mg Tylenol extra.

So here's a suggestion: (times are 4hrs apart, please notice!)
8am oxycodone + 1 extra 500mg Tylenol
12md 500mg Tylenol
4pm oxycodone + 1 extra 500mg Tylenol
8pm 500mg Tylenol
12mn oxycodone + 1 extra 500mg Tylenol
4am 500mg Tylenol

That means you taking a daily total of 3,975mgs. The safe daily total is 4,000mg

Alternatively you could approach your PCP doctor and see if he will take over your prescriptions. Someone else reported she did that only a few days ago and her PCP was very obliging. No harm in asking.
 
Back
Top Bottom