TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

It needs to be added from a computer. Put your info in a post and a mod can hopefully get it set up for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Hope someone can help me add the surgery info. I had rt knee replacement on sept 1, 2015.

Lots of pain and poor bending. Fatigue and depression. Had other knee done 8 years ago and recovery was much quicker and easier


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had both done this Summer and within 8 wks. of each other. The second seemed worse. Give your body time to adjust. Just move. You and I will never heal as fast as we did at 20 so just go with the flow. I think both of us deserve a medal for doing it to begin with. It is not for the faint of heart.
 
Thank you so much
I saw the dr today and he upped the pain meds


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Pt tells me if rom does not improve in next few weeks I may need manual manipulation under anesthesia. Any thoughts.
He's bullying you. Take no notice. Or better yet, get a different PT. This one's obviously bad news!
82 by myself, 90 with help
Like a previous poster said, that's okay for 3 weeks out.
I saw the dr today and he upped the pain meds
Excellent!

Can I ask you some questions? It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
Hope I answer as you requested

1. Pain level right now (pain med taken 2 hrs ago) is a three. Stiffness, ache and swelling
2. Pain med oxicodo/acetaminophen 5-325 one every four hours
3. Icing 20 minutes 4-5 times a day
4. Elevate 3 times a day for 30 minutes
5. Bend is at 82. 90 with help
6. Activities, cooking light housekeeping
7. Exercise 2 times a day. Heel slides 15, leg raises 15, toe pumps 30, bend on steps 15, squats 15




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love this site. So much helpful information. Can anyone comment on how often and for how long I should elevate. I'm three weeks post tkr with a great deal of swelling. Thanks


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
In some ways, you have answered your own question---"a great deal of swelling". You cannot really strengthen your leg and knee until the swelling is down. I regard the first two weeks as an opportunity to get rid of the swelling and I was down 80% of the time with my knee propped up on three pillows.
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

When I talked to my doc at three weeks, he told me I should rest--i.e. in bed or couch with leg elevated for two hours for every one hour that I was up. Basically, you have got to get rid of the swelling before it becomes chronic.
So, if your knee is swollen, it should be elevated every minute that you are not up going to the bathroom or fixing a light lunch. Right now, that is your main job---reduce the swelling and there only way to reduce it is with elevation, ice and rest.
 
Thank you so much. I feel better after reading your post



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would have loved to have 90 at 3 weeks. Ignore the "threats" about a manipulation. Sometimes it's needed but not nearly as often as some PTs would have us believe. And not after you hit 90.
Oh and as my swelling went down I continued to gain at 6 weeks.
 
Thanks to all on this site. So grateful to have found it


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Three and a half weeks post op,tkr. Having burning pain in the back of my knee. Anyone else have this in addition to the normal pain


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, pain at the back of the knee is quite common. Have you tried icing the back of your knee as well as the front?
 
1. Pain level right now (pain med taken 2 hrs ago) is a three. Stiffness, ache and swelling
Okay
2. Pain med oxicodo/acetaminophen 5-325 one every four hours
And does this manage the pain? I would doubt it somehow.
3. Icing 20 minutes 4-5 times a day
4. Elevate 3 times a day for 30 minutes
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 or 30 minutes. Ice and elevate for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day. And elevate "toes above nose"
5. Bend is at 82. 90 with help
Okay, you have swelling. Do NOT allow the 'with help' from anybody. it just makes the swelling worse.
But you haven't told me what your extension is.
6. Activities, cooking light housekeeping
You shouldn't be doing cooking or housekeeping at 3½ weeks. Read this Activity progression for TKRs

My comments in bold
7. Exercise 2 times a day - once a day at most and none at the weekends
Heel slides 15 - it's no good doing this much just once or twice a day. Follow the directions in this Heel slides and how to do them.
leg raises 15 - do 3 or 4 in the morning and once you can do them, no need to do them any more
toe pumps 30 - this is just for anti-clot, they don'[t count
bend on steps 15 - don't do these. With your knee as it is now, it will just make matters worse
squats 15 - don't do these. With your knee as it is now, it will just make matters worse

I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
Having burning pain in the back of my knee.
It's the swelling. Ice at the back or your knee as well as the front.

Also when you are elevating, are you keeping your knee totally straight? Because this will cause pain at the back of your knee when it's swollen. It might also be made worse if you can't get your leg straight.
 
Thanks so very much for the tips. Today I'ive been in pain and now taking 325-10 every five hrs. Script says six hrs
 
I will be 4 weeks post op tkr and my dr decreased my pain meds. I was so uncomfortable he agreed to go back to the original strength but only for ten days. If the pain level has not changed inwill call my family dr. When in so much pain i could not do the exercises
 
Yesterday was not good pain wise and I had hoped for a better day. Not happening. Supposed to take pain med every six hours and had to take it at five hours. Been icing and elevating. Probably tried to do too much. Laundry folded and put away, chicken thighs in the oven. No energy to clean up kitchen after prep. Going to be TV dinners for supper
 
4 weeks post op tkr tomorrow. Very discouraged. Pain med says take every six hours. Im taking every five. Very stiff. Bending is painful still. Therapist comes today and will be disappointed in lack of rom.

If i stand for ten minutes or so pain increases. Still using the walker as the cane puts so much pain.

Im trying to be optimistic. But its hard. Can only sleep in bed 4 hours max, then have to move to recliner

I am so grateful to the folks on this site. I feel much less alone in this journey


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom