THR First night home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Foggymama, please rest assured that you're not alone. I'm only a couple of weeks out from my THR and even though I had a couple of months notice I was not prepared for some of the personal matters that I couldn't take care of alone at the hospital and my first few days at home. My wife has been incredible. Even with therapy in the hospital I remember telling my wife how embarrassed I was that she was having to help me with bathing, and other personal matters. Please remember that it's just temporary. Rest assured that mood swings are normal. I've had a couple of really bad days mood wise for seemingly no reason. It will get better.
 
Hi Foggymama

You mentioned that something will happen to slow down your recovery.. Take it one day at a time, go with the flow, your body is in control here.. I know you have had a dreadful fright with the fracture and we all worry about infections, but these thoughts will drift into the background as you achieve little milestones each day and the days turn into weeks, the weeks into months...:)
 
Hi Foggymamma,
It must have been a shock and then major surgery. The bladder control gets better mine was at its worse weeks 2-3, luckily I have tena ladies at home (use them when I go diving). If you can get hold of some it might be worth just slipping one in just to give you a bit more reassurance try a few pelvic floor excercise as i
Think they give all the muscles down there a bit of a
Wrench when the replace the hips. I used tie side bikini bottoms to give me a bit more independence. Most things are now so much better coming up to five weeks.
 
Thank you guyr. This is all so new and awkward. I feel so unsteady walking around. I'm hoping it starts feeling more normal? I hope your recovery is going well:) and I am so glad you have a wonderful wife to take care of you during this time. I don't know what I would do without my fiance! He has been amazing! Keep me updated on how you are doing:)
 
I have been getting up every couple of hours to walk around per my PT orders. I've noticed at times an inner noise/sensation like maybe my new hip is adjusting or rubbing against something? It isn't painful but it has made me very apprehensive about walking......I feel very "foreign" right now. Is this all normal? And does this feeling go away? I'm.only 8 days into recovery. Any feedback would be wonderful! I would love to hear what it was like for others during the first week or two of recovery. On a positive note, I was able to give myself a spongebath today on my own! Well, mostly. I only needed help with my legs and feet:)
 
Oh, I didn't realize there was a difference! This is all so new to me. Thank you!
 
Oh, I didn't realize there was a difference! This is all so new to me. Thank you!
No problem at all. New members aren't expected to know everything all at once! :snork: Speaking of which - and I really don't want you to feel uncomfortable about this either - but it would help us (me!) hugely if you would keep posts about your own case in this one thread. It just helps me to have all that information in one place. Think of it a bit like the doctor's notes!

And secondly,would you be real darling and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here How to create a signature. But please remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being 7th August 2000 rather than 2/8/00 or 8/2/00.

This also applies to anyone else who is reading here. Thank you.
I have been getting up every couple of hours to walk around per my PT orders. I've noticed at times an inner noise/sensation like maybe my new hip is adjusting or rubbing against something? It isn't painful but it has made me very apprehensive about walking......I feel very "foreign" right now. Is this all normal? And does this feeling go away? I'm.only 8 days into recovery. Any feedback would be wonderful! I would love to hear what it was like for others during the first week or two of recovery. On a positive note, I was able to give myself a spongebath today on my own! Well, mostly. I only needed help with my legs and feet:)
Every couple of hours is overdoing it a bit. That noise is ligaments and muscles 'getting acquainted' with the new hip. If you over-exercise them, they can get inflamed and sore. Take walks just when you need to for bathroom or getting yourself a snack. Walking intentionally can come later in about week 3. Do read the articles I posted for you above. In there is one about 'progression of activity for THR'. If you read them all you will be much better informed all round.
 
Okay, I think I am figuring this out. And no problem at all:) I actually find it nice that you keep it so organized and are so involved:) Thank you for all of your help. And thank you for the links! I've been reading them as I get the chance
 
Hi there, very early days for you, lots of deep healing and adjusting.. Do ask any questions you may have, we love questions :)
 
Hi everyone! I had my 1 week post-op visit today and it went very well:) my surgeon removed the stitches, said everyrhing is healing nicely, and that if I keep doing as well as I'm doing that I may be able to return to work after my 5 week check-up. I am so very excited! I got to see my x-rays after my new hip was put in, and got to see my incision for the first time today. My sister took pictures for me so I wouldn't miss out:) I hope everyone is doing well!
Misty
 
Glad you are getting in control of it all. But don't be shy - post the pictures! We like seeing pictures of xrays and wounds!
 
Here's my hip 8 days post-op. Right after stitches were removed:)
[Bonesmart.org] First night home
 
Hi Misty, checking back on your thread and it sounds like things are really progressing. Just take one day at a time. If that seems too much, try hour by hour. Things will get better but patience is needed - along with lots of rest.
 
Here's my hip 8 days post-op. Right after stitches were removed:)
[Bonesmart.org] First night home

Hi foggy,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I have been told I need HR Surgery BUT I'm TOO young I should try to hold off as long as possible. I can see that you are younger than me. Your story has taught me so much about some of the issues That I would face when I have the surgery. i can see you were / are having a tough time but things will get better I am sure. Thanks so much for sharing. The. Photo is brilliant.

Go girl
 
Hi Gayle, welcome to BoneSmart! I have to say that you are not too young for THR. There is no age limit for this surgery. We have members in their 20s who have had THR. If your doctor is telling you that you are too young, find another doctor who is more up to date with this surgery. Life is too short to wait for things to get worse! Xanthe
 
Xanthe, you are so very welcome! I hope that when it comes time for your surgery that you may find some comfort and support from the.experiences and stories you find here. Everyone has been so wonderful! The people I have met here have provided so much comfort for me during this time. They have helped me to alleviate fears and find hope when I really had lost mine:) I agree with Jacey though! I am obviously no.expert, but from information that i have gathered from my Dr, even though its unfortunate that I've had to have this done at such a young age, the surgery went more smoothly than it would have been had I have been older. Also, you didn't mention whether or not you are experiencing any pain or other symptoms with your hip(s), but if you are, I would definitely get a second opinion, or put your foot down with your Dr. There is absolutely no reason why you should have to wait to have quality of life. Hope to hear back from you:)
 
Oh, I got to learn steps today! I also learned how to safely get in and out of my shower, so this weekend when I am feeling ready, I get to take a shower! Yay! Still having a lot of ups and downs as far as energy level and hip discomfort, but I am reminded often (very thankfully) that this is just part of the process:)
 
Foggymama (Misty?) I am just sitting here smiling, so happy that you're doing so well after a rough start.
 
Thank you sissy:) I just had a complete post-op meltdown:( feeling my loss of independence terribly at the moment. I feel awful that I cant help contribute to housework or do fun activities with my kids. I really don't enjoy this part of the emotional roller coaster:(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom