Guest viewing is limited

THR First night home

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so difficult! I have no idea what I do while I'm sleeping, and because there is no pain or discomfort it doesnt wake me up when i lose the pillow. On another note, I went for my first good long walk today. It was awkward but felt good at the same time. I used crutches. More as a security blanket rather than me needing them.
 
Fantastic on the walk, it certainly does feel good... And it just keeps getting better, this I can promise :)
 
So, I've been trying to take some steps around the house without any support, and I still feel a little bit of pain in my hip. Normal right? I'm thinking its from inflammation from the surgery maybe? Or the muscles that are still trying to heal? Of course my first emotional response is that there is something wrong with my new hip:(
 
FM, it is very normal when we test our boundaries, we get pain, then get anxious..

The reality is if you feel pain when you attempt it, back off, because you are not ready to give up the aid.. It will happen honey :)
 
Hi Foggymama- I just finally got caught up on this thread. Wow, you have had an incredible journey, and look how far you have come!

I also have the issue of thinking every new/different pain is some failure coming on. Of course this is more prevalent when it happens in the middle of the night, when I can obsess about it with no distractions :yikes: It really helped for me to ask a bunch of those nagging questions at my followup appt today. I had decided to just start writing down my concerns on a big list when I started obsessing (which really got more intense day before yesterday, so I knew I had an appointment soon). It helped to dump it out of my mind and onto paper, and then I had a list of questions ready for the appointment. They also said not to hesitate to call when these come up, which I was going to do one day, but by the time daytime had come around the pain had resolved. Anyway, don't be hesitant to call your doc's office if you have questions about whether pain is normal.

One of mine is sharp butt pain (which confused me due to its intensity and the fact I had the anterior approach). That night in the middle of the night I was convinced that I had broken my hip (I tend to go straight to the worst outcome at that time of day). Then my rational brain turned on and reminded me that I have broken bones before and this felt nothing like that shooting broken bone pain. Plus it was starting to feel better with ice. Such drama! (all in my head of course ;) Turns out it is most likely an unhappy muscle (a) my hip is now oriented a bit differently due to the new joint, so the muscles are complaining a bit, and (b) sometimes they cramp just from the insult of surgery and then not moving much. Makes sense, since ice seems to alleviate the issue.

Anyway, so glad you are progressing so well. Too bad we aren't a little closer on the I-5 corridor, or we could go on (short) walks together. :)
-nerdgrrl
 
Glad to see that I am not the only one struggling to find a comfortable position to sleep in. I am usually a stomach sleeper, so being flat on my back is problematic. I can't seem to manage laying on the unoperated side for more than a few minutes. Can't stand having the pillow or abduction wedge between my legs either. Instead, I put my french bulldog (30 pounds) on top of the covers between my legs. With him there, I can not accidently roll over or cross the midline. He loves being that close to his mommy, but I wonder if I am creating a monster. When the hip restrictions are gone, he is going to have to find another place to sleep.

Foggymama, those phantom pains will get you. I get these pains in the outside of my thigh that feels like someone is poking me with a very sharp needle. No other real pain to speak of.

Sounds like you are progressing very nicely. Have a great weekend.

Tammy
 
This roller coaster is driving me crazy:( I'm not sleeping the best. I am normally a stomach sleeper as well, so its hard to get comfortable. Started having a slightly painful pressure in my upper butt area.....I was more active today then the last few days. I'm sure that has something to do with it. Now I'm just trying to fall asleep and the finding of a comfortable position is not happening. Hope everyone is doing well:) gonna try to sleep now.
Misty
 
Hi Misty, do hope you are sleeping, at such early days it is all about taking those naps when you can.. Night sleep will come, along with a more comfortable sleeping position.. Hang in there :)
 
i too am finding some discomfort in the buttocks, that seems to radiate down the back of my leg somewhat.
i am sure it's muscular, as it's much worse after a PT session or long walk.
my physical therapist is talking about re-teaching the muscles in the entire area around the hip to adjust to
the new gait, length, and recover from the stresses of surgery. our thigh muscles intertwine with the
gluteus muscles around the hip. so i guess it's important to work on them all during recovery.
 
Well, the buttock pain only lasted a couple of days, so I think its safe to say we were right, that it was just another muscle that had to run its course of recovery:) today begins week 4 post-op, and I am now able to walk around unassisted:) my last un-home pt appointment is today and I am excited to discuss my progress. I am curious as to when I can start sleeping on my operative hip. As for now, I am off to see how the rest of you hippies are doing:)
 
Foggy, I wasn't able to sleep anywhere but on my back for about 2 years due to the pain in my hips if i tried.
I was 4 weeks yesterday, and i am able to lay on my side, (either!) with a pillow between my legs as not to
cross the legs due to the precautions. I can't really sleep there yet, but, it helps relieve my back discomfort
for a little while. Hopefully soon i'll be sleeping better, and may even be able to sleep on my side. I have quite
long incisions, with staples that came out 12 days after surgery, and steri strips put on at the time, so things
feel pretty well in regard to the incision areas.
 
What was going on that was causing the pain? I can't even imagine what that was like for you! It was hard enough the whole month my hip was broken to find a comfortable position to sleep in:( I am so sorry! I am so glad you are able to lay on your side some now, that is a major accomplishment! I look forward to hearing soon that you are getting to sleep comfortably in your sides:)
 
As my hips deteriorated, the pain started working it's way down into my knee. If i layed on my side,
everything hurt, so i just stayed on my back, sometimes with a pillow under my knees, the helped
when things were the worst. Guess i didn't take much pain medication, i had scripts for tramadol, but
i just was never one to take a lot of meds.
overall i am very happy with my progress over the past 2-3 weeks, walked 1.5 miles today!!!!
ice/rest for the afternoon now.
 
You should be happy! You are doing amazingly well! Pain management for me has not been the best experience. The whole time my hip was broken the Drs wouldn't do anything for the pain........and now that I have very minimal pain they send me home with percocet. I think I could probably survive anything after that month:( my pt just left. I have one more muscle i need to work on.....but i was given the okay to dleep in pretty much any position. I just have to remember that if I'm on my left side i need to have the pillow between my legs.
 
I just realized I'm only 3 weeks post-op, not 4 :/ obviously I have lost total track of time!
 
See Misty, you are doing much better than you thought if you are losing track of time. Hopefully you got a good night's sleep. I have found that using 2 body pillows helps when trying to sleep. Roll onto your non-operated side and have someone shove the first body pillow behind your head, shoulders and back. Then have them shove the second one behind your butt and legs. Then, take a regular size pillow and put it between your knees. I have done this the last couple of nights and it worked great. I could lay like this for several hours and then roll slightly onto my back. The body pillows kept my operated side elevated and helped with the swelling.

Hope this helps.

Tammy
 
I had my 6 week post op visit today and I have great news! Dr said my hip looks like $100 mil! Lol. Even better, he said I can return to work on monday. I have no more restrictions, just have to continue listening to my body. Take it easy when I feel I need to and no jumping off of buildings:) I love you all<3 thank you for all of your kind words and support.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom