Guest viewing is limited

THR First night home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Foggymama.....it sounds like you are doing just fine with your recovery. I hope you've had a chance to read the links Jo put up for you. If you do, you'll find that your recovery is just beginning and things will probably be a bit slower than you would like as you get back to normal. Take it easy and let your body be in control. This is one time to put the mind on vacation!
 
I guess it is just all part of the process. I'm more than a month ahead of you, and I melted down yesterday, too, for a while, and I know I've had such an easy time compared to most---which of course leads to overdoing and paying the consequences. A 10 hour day on Friday for a kayak trip, my first long day, which was great fun while I was doing it...and then yesterday pain and I'm back on pain meds. Taking my cane with me to the opera this afternoon, and I haven't used it for weeks.

There's just no way to speed recovery, and the blues are a part of it, too. Be good to yourself. And enjoy that shower. You are moving forward, just not as fast as you'd like....
 
Today is the first day of week 3, also the first day I've been home alone all day. Very frustrated with myself at the moment. Tried getting around the kitchen this morning and had an awful time trying to maneuver around with my walker. I ate two pieces of toast and made a pot of coffee and haven't been back in there since. Instead of pushing through as I would normally do, I gave up. It's been a hell of a day emotionally.....hoping tomorrow is better.
 
Foggymama, that's no good. I hope you have had more to eat today than just a few pieces of toast. Your body needs fuel to heal. I understand about the frustration and emotional roller coaster. I had my first meltdown within 12 hours of surgery. I didn't deal well with the idea that I was at someone else's mercy as to when I went to the bathroom. Had to ask for the bedpan, then had to ask to get off the bedpan. Very demeaning. Please feel free to vent here and get it all off your chest. We are here for you.

Better days are coming and before you know it you will be running around and wishing for some down time.

Tammy
 
Foggymama;

Do you have a seat tray on your walker?

If not hang a shopping bag on the handle and make the one trip to the kitchen, water bottle, thermos, food, ice pack.. What every you can pop in the bag.

Sorry you are feeling emotional and wiped out, it will improve :)
 
I don't have a tray, but I was thinking I could take the basket from my bike and hook it on my walker. It's a cute little wicker basket i have on my cruiser lol. I wish I could say I ate more than toast:( I am just now getting ready to sit down to dinner with my family. Some days I feel so capable! So when I have a day like this it really hits hard. Thank you ladies for the support and encouragement. I really don't know what i would do without you guys!
Misty
 
Oh we all understand those days. There will be good ones and then once in a while a not so good one. It can throw you. Just remember that you have a family that understands and have been through it.
 
Before my surgery I had all the necessary equipment lined up. Someone even supplied a power recliner chair. The only items I had to buy were a cane and a sock aid. I found the walker very cumbersome and awkward, especially when I had to carry stuff. I found a plastic shopping bag very useful, but still no good for carrying a cup of coffee or bowl of soup. Once I learned how to use the cane it was a whole different ballgame. After that I ditched the walker. You should be about ready to graduate from the walker, but check with your PT.
 
Foggy mama,

You have come a long way and you are only at week three. Good for you...and don't worry about the occasional down day. It happens. But with your positive mind set I know you will be bouncing back stronger than ever. Here's to a better day.

Suki
 
It's gonna get better---and then worse again, and then better again. It really is a roller coaster. I've gone from euphoria (look at me walk, this is so great!) to despair (what if it doesn't get any better than this?) sometimes in the same day.

We need to remember that 3 weeks out, or even 7 weeks as I am now, is still pretty soon after a major trauma that really affects the whole body, which will take a while to regain some degree of homeostases. You're doing fine.

BTW---do you have a pizza delivery place anywhere near? Treat yourself when you're home alone?
 
Week 3 and look at this! It looks amazing! I've seen hundreds of scars from the same surgery and i must say I think mine is looking fabulous:)

[Bonesmart.org] First night home
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] First night home
    IMAG0178.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 217
I have a question about sleeping. I've been shown a couple of ways that I can sleep comfortably while following my precautions. I'm now finding that throughout the night my body is starting to go back to my own sleeping habits. I'm sure that this is fine, as I am not experiencing any pain or discomfort. Any feedback? Am I potentially doing myself more harm than good?
 
I am an amazing sleeper. I can wake up with blankets on the other side of the room. SO, to maintain hip precautions, I pillow myself up before bed: one under my head, holding onto one, king size pillow between my knees and king size pillow behind me, while lying on my left side. WORKS.
 
I sleep with tons of pillows too! But the one between my legs is always gone by morning:/ and I sometimes end up on my tummy with my right knee up and to the side....Ack!
 
I am a terrible sleeper. Insomnia seems to be a family trait, and 6 hours is a fantastic night for me. Another reason I pushed to have the anterior approach, because if I were restricted in sleep position I probably would not sleep at all. It took about 2 weeks before I could sleep comfortably on my operative side---didn't hurt, just a sense of pressure, but that's long gone.
Are you hurting when you end up on your tummy with your right knee up?
 
Hi Foggymama, it is difficult trying to sleep on one's back, pillows, pillows and more pillows are the answer until your get the ok to lay on you unoperated side with that pillow between your legs.

Don't know what else to suggest, if you are rolling over in your sleep.

I had so many pillows in the bed, there was no way I could move.... It does get better :)

P.s. yes, your incision looks very neat, we might see if it can be resized, if that is ok. ALso we do have a special thread at the top of the hip recovery list for members to showcase their incisions and feel proud :)
 
Hi Foggymama your scar is certainly looking much much better. I'm a side sleeper normally and have found it hard to adjust to sleeping on my back. After a few hours I'm uncomfortable and want to roll over. Most nights I have to get up twice and have a little walk to alleviate the situation then I go back to bed. I'm glad to hear you are doing much better now sounds like you had it real bad with all the problems you've had over the last year or so. At least a lot of us know we are going to have it done so can prepare ourselves mentally and get all those little jobs done before hand but in your case it was a complete shock. 23yrs ago I was in traction following an RTA with a dislocated hip and having to use bed pans and get nurses to wipe my butt all very degrading and embarressing as a very young man to accept. I know how you felt there. I'm 14 days post opp now myself.

Being home alone can be challenging, Get the bike basket out and get one of those travel mugs with a lid. Anyway I'll stop waffling on, aint got much else to do sitting her home alone too. take care.
 
Ah, sleeping! Glad to see so many different experiences here.

I have never been able to sleep on my back. Only my side or stomach. When I was 16 I was in hospital in a body cast with a broken pelvis (freight elevator mishap). I was flat on my back for 2 weeks and did not sleep a wink until I could flip myself over. All my life I've been a restless sleeper. However, when I was in the hospital with my hip, I slept through the night on my back in what must have been the first time in my life, probably due to the morphine. Second night also, then started alternating between my back and my side.

Once home, I was sleeping alternately on my back and side. However, for the first couple of weeks I was literally getting up every hour to go to the bathroom, maybe because of the pain meds and blood thinner. Now I get up once, sometimes twice, and I end up sleeping on my side again, sometimes even the operated side. I try to keep a pillow between my knees whether on my back or side, but it usually goes astray. I sometimes even end up on my stomach.
 
Resizing it would be fine:) I do all this on my phone....im sure it looks huge on a computer! Thanks for all the feedback. My physical therapist came today and i brought it up to her. She says its important to keep the pillow in place because it keeps the muscles from stretching out where we want them to be tight. So, I will work on that, but no promises:/
 
Great that you have seen the PT.

The sleeping aspect of recovery is difficult.. I am 12 months post and sleep on my side, but still with the pillow, just got used to it I guess.

It is important to not let the operated leg cross the mid line in the early days/weeks though :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom