TKR Fire wolf recovery<

oh Fire wolf...i really believe that migraines are worse than the after pains of a knee replacement and i can understand the frustrated tone in your post. i can't function with a migraine when it's at it's worst. i can get through the first several hours if i have to, for example, if i'm babysitting or caregiving, but at it's peak i have to be laying down in darkness if possible. it sounds to me and correct me if i'm wrong, you're upset that others aren't understanding or acknowledging the pain you are in but focusing on telling you how great you're doing. why don't you tell them you're in pain the whole time you are working and even after? (after re-reading your post, i see you do tell them politely). look at a very small silver lining: it's better to have a r.o.m. of 0/143 (amazing) and being swollen, in pain and a good gait rather than the same with a much lower r.o.m. if i were your colleague, i'd be bringing you a donut and a coffee from timmie's (tim horton's) and offering to carry your equipment!

in any case, i have the greatest of respect for you ladies and gentlemen that go back to work within weeks of this surgery.:curtsey: you work all day, 5 days a week, then you are home and having to rest up your knee so you can get things done, then repeat the routine on monday. remember the "marathon, not sprint" analogy and that things will get better. Fire wolf, is there anything you can take for those migraines? in the last few years i discovered that coffee helps me to stop a possible migraine in it's tracks. i've stopped taking the triptans class of meds which also help but can cause another migraine 2 days later, not to mention how expensive they are. please take care of yourself.:friends:
 
How I empathize with all of you! @Fire wolf I cannot imagine how hard it is to deal with migraine pain, or swelling and pain in your knee when you think it should have been gone by now.
 
@liam2015 I do take Maxalt (rizatriptan) for migraines, and it works well if I catch it early enough about 90% of the time. I have dealt with them for 20+ years, and at one point was getting around 20 or more a month, and had to learn how to live and work while having one since it took forever to get them under control.

Even though I do tell my colleagues that I still have pain and swelling, at times I feel as if they think that I am making excuses or whining or complaining, etc., and honestly I am sick of hearing myself talk about it.
 
hi Fire wolf ~ i think that is the prescription i have also from 1 or 2 years ago. i think i only got 4 to try out as they were so expensive and i might have 2 left. are they the ones you dissolve under your tongue? i used to take naratriptan but they discontinued them here. i know what you mean ~ i don't like having to explain although i really don't have much contact with the outside world these days lol (other than here of course). :whistle:
 
Yes, @liam2015, they have both dissolvable and regular tablets. The dissolvable ones are nice especially when there is nausea involved, which is partly why my neurologist chose those. I had tried several others, and this one worked best.
 
(((@Fire wolf))) sounds like a really rough day. Pffft! Is there something you can do to spoil yourself tonight? Hot soak in the tub, buy something silly online, sing in the shower, have ice cream for dinner, primal scream therapy? All of the above? Just be extra good to yourself. Nurturing.

I really don't understand why anyone expects younger people to have a miraculous recovery from this surgery. If both of us were hit by a car, no one would have that expectation, right? The ageist aspect seems really bizarre to me.

I'm not exactly a social butterfly, so can't speak to that aspect at all. I'm certainly glad I have no need to explain my recovery to anyone though. The only one watching closely is DH and he doesn't need an explanation since he's lived it with me. When well meaning friends and family members inquire, I generally just brush it all off and change the subject. I'd much prefer to hear about their issues than regurgitate mine to an audience that just doesn't get it, ya know?

Over the years, I have found that most people really can't understand what they cannot see or feel. For instance, one time, about 4 weeks post a cancer surgery, I parked in a handicapped spot at the supermarket. I was exhausted and in pain, but...it was invisible. I was almost immediately set-upon by some strange guy lambasting me for taking a handicapped spot when clearly "Nothing was wrong with me." I let him rant for a few, and simply said, "Guess what? Cancer is invisible. Have a nice day."
 
Hi Fire Wolf! I sure hope you have some relief from the migraine soon. It sure can add to the burden of TKR recovery. For me, when people ask (and they constantly do) I just say I'm doing great - which I really am for the most part. These are genuinely caring and supportive folks and I'd rather move on to talk about other things. I do have a need to talk about this recovery so am so thankful for BoneSmart and all of you where I can "let it all hang out" with people I don't really know -- but we actually do know a lot about each other. "Isn't it Ironic"
 
I'm not exactly a social butterfly, so can't speak to that aspect at all.
I am definitely not a social butterfly either! Honestly, for the most part, I don't even like people all that much! :heehee: Don't ask how I ended up in a social services field, as I am still trying to figure that one out! :scratch: I do limit my contact as much as I can, but attended a training today and saw my supervisor who said I was doing great, walking well with no gait issues, etc. I am sure that he was just trying to be supportive, but that's not how I felt at the time.

I am feeling the pressure of a somewhat self-imposed recovery deadline which isn't helping. On Oct 24 I have to attend recertification classes for Safe Crisis Management, which is very physical as it requires that we put each other in holds, including ones where we take the person to the floor where they are sitting up and or laying down, but I do have to be able to get on my knees. Most involve landing on and kneeling on just one knee, so I can make sure that Spence is not the one kneeling, but he needs to be able to control the bending to get my other knee and the person being restrained to the floor safely and gently. I have to teach this class in the beginning of Oct, but I did ask for someone else in the department to come up and assist so that they can do the demonstrating, although I will probably try a few moves as a test run with an actual person. :fingersx:
 
I just say I'm doing great
I will say something to this effect to most people, but I need to be careful of who I say it to so that I am not expected to do things that I physically can't handle at the moment.
And I agree that while we don't *know* each other, this journey has bonded us in a unique way, and for that I and my sanity are extremely grateful!!:friends:
 
Is your migraine better? Those are the worst! Right up there with early recovery. :sad:

Can you wear a kneepad for your Oct. 24 re-certification? As for strengthening your TKR leg... lots of stairs. Though you already do lots of stairs, so I'm not sure how much more would be doable? You certainly are in a very physical profession, especially for knees.

There's a tendency when someone has a really good recovery to think they're done with it when really they're still in early stages. If you walk with a normal gait, people think it means you're fully healed. That's happened to me, mostly with family. They sometimes forget I have brand new mechanical knees. I generally wear long pants, so they don't see the still very visible scars. So if I get tired and say I want to rest, or sit down for a bit, they ask, "Are you sick?" and slap a hand on my forehead to check for a fever.
 
Oh, my word, FW, October 24 sounds terrible! You certainly have risen to your challenges all these months, and will likely get through this one with Bio Spence intact. However, you do these things and then wonder why there's still pain and swelling? I read your posts and think, "My God, she's Superwoman! How doesn't she just crawl home and die after some of the things she's doing??" :climb:

I'm with @liam2015 -- I wish I could be there, bringing you goodies and carrying your stuff. You definitely deserve some TLC. Plus, on October 24 I would stand on the sidelines and send you "kick butt" vibes. If you have to do it, you might as well rock it, right?

Those "well-meaning," commenting colleagues are mostly just trying to be polite, but it's still irritating! As a person more on the introverted side of things, I don't handle those kinds of coded conversations all that well. I don't know how to answer them because it seems like a "How are you/Fine, thank you" kind of expectation, and I don't want to do that. Yet I don't want any focus on me; I just want to escape.

And there is a palpable difference to me between what a casual colleague tosses out vs when a friend says much the same thing. When I was getting chemotherapy, leaving at lunch on Fridays and coming back to school to finish out the day around 2:00, colleague acquaintances said, "Oh, you're doing so great with all this!"

Colleague friends might say the same thing, but usually they didn't say much. They patted me on the shoulder, took me out for a drink after work, or volunteered to pick up my daughter at day care so I could go home and rest before she got there. They even collected enough money to get me a bi-weekly house cleaner for the better part of a year!

:old: Perhaps you need to carry a cane to work with you? You know, it would give the lie to the idea that you're totally over this and are just milking your injury? @Pheebs52 mentioned quite a while ago in a post that it sends a pretty good signal of letting people know that you still have a ways to go to be completely up to snuff.

Just kidding; Bionic Spence would be mortified, I'm sure.

I kind of wished I had a cane yesterday while I was shopping at our large indoor farm market. Here I am, minding my own business, pushing my cart down an aisle, when suddenly two people rammed their cart into my TKR. Boy, did that hurt! And then they looked at me like, "You old lady, why don't you just get out of the way?" If I'd had a cane, no telling what I would have done. :good-bad:
 
@SusieShoes, yes, migraine from that day and yesterday have both gone away. I do have a set of very nice inch thick memory foam knee pads that I got last year when I had to go through the initial certification which was a grueling 5 days, and at a time that original Spence was hurting constantly, and severely. So I will be taking and using them again.

@Polkadot, I am so sorry to hear about your collision today! Talk about an ouchie! I kinda wish you did have a cane!!!:heehee: I do appreciate the fact that you and @liam2015 would be so kind to me if you worked with me! I understand what you were saying about the differences in people's reactions and actions based on the relationship you have with them. I haven't been with this agency very long, but even if I was, I draw a strict line between personal and professional. Hmmm, this may be part of the reason I have no friends! :skep:

In any case, yes, Bionic Spence would likely go ballistic if I reintroduced the cane! :tantrum: Definitely not my idea of a fun time! :bignono: I guess all I can do is to keep doing the best that I can and avoid people as much as possible. :wink: I really do appreciate the support from all of you! Sometimes I am hesitant to even discuss my progress here as I don't want others to measure their progress against mine (yes, I know that we shouldn't compare, but I also know that we are all human, so sometimes we do), and I sometimes feel as if I either shouldn't have the *one step back* times or that people will think it's all made up. Yes, I overthink things alot! Occupational hazard!:shrug:
 
Along those lines, I "only" had a partial knee replacement, what I read before surgery was basically, smaller incision, less invasive, quicker recovery.

Unfortunately I believed that.

It is SO not that way.

I'm glad your migraine is better. I've had (and I almost wrote "only") a few myself. I am thankful there were just a few of them and then they stopped.

I'm sorry you have such a physical job that puts such stress on your recovery. I trust, as others before us have said, that time is our friend and we will eventually recover.

I will have to be desperate to have my other knee done. My fear is, that with a partial, I just might become desperate because of a problem with it and have to revise to a total. I try not to think about it.

Best wishes to you, we are all in this together.
 
@Jockette we are indeed all in this together which I think gives us a huge advantage as *compared* :heehee: to those that haven't found this forum and aren't benefiting from the amazing support and comraderie. :console2: I had asked my OS about a partial, as it seemed that my knee issues were always on the lateral side, but he told me that I would likely need a revision to a full replacement, so he preferred the once and done idea, and quite frankly, so did I. I am extremely grateful for the OS I have, as well as his PA. Unlike others I have never dreaded an appt with him as he has never measured my ROM after any of my surgeries, other than maybe eyeballing it. I also only had 3 post op appts- 1 to get staples removed, 1 at roughly 7 or 8 weeks out, and 1 at 11 to 12 weeks out. Don't see him again until Spence's birthday. Of course Spence can always email him or PA at any time with questions or concerns. :thumb:

I have also decided to somewhat follow @Pheebs52's advice to *indulge* myself a little. Tomorrow I plan to go to Hersheypark. Yes, lots of walking, but considering how much I am forced to sit all day, I think it will be good for me. I also plan on riding rides, including roller coasters which I love, and on eating some great tasting goodies that really aren't good for me. Yes, I am concerned about my weight gain in the past few months, but I am going to indulge anyway, within reason. No need for :sick:! I am sure that the walking, fresh air, change of scenery, etc will be good for me overall. And since Spence is still swollen anyway, I don't think that I will make it worse. I can ice and elevate on Sunday! :ice::egypdance: So we'll see what happens!
 
Have fun at Hershey Park! I haven't been there in years! Yes, doing something fun like that will be good for you, and you know how to settle Spence down afterward.

I wish I had your surgeon. My surgeon's main goal is to take X-rays and then push my knee to get a high number. I don't like it. I really don't think I'm going to let him touch my leg next month. We'll see how that goes. I'm not good at openly opposing people. But I'm tired of the medical profession hurting me. Especially after all the things I've read on here about different surgeon's opinions, and PT's that are just plain wrong. It astounds me that the surgeons don't "get" this recovery and don't understand basic swelling.

Ok, sorry, I'll get off my soap box. Thanks for listening!!

Enjoy tomorrow!!!
 
I'm so glad to hear the awful migraine has moved out @Fire wolf; yay! Your Hershey Park plan for tomorrow sounds like just the indulgence you need! I *think* it's possible to eat junk in moderation, lol. Yes, I'm sure it is; hah! And who knows, Spence is so unpredictable, he might decide not to swell at all! Maybe he'll be just as delighted as you with the outing. :fingersx: Maybe he won't want to spend Sunday in an ice-cocoon either!

I wish your job wasn't quite so physical, but it is, and I think you've done remarkably well in getting back to the grind. You've overcome so many challenges, so try not to overstress about your upcoming deadline. I know that's much easier said than done, but as one who's on the outside looking in, I see that you function really well under pressure. In other words, you've got this! And hey, you've got the knee pads to go with it! If they have a "Wild Mouse," there, take a ride on it for me, ok? It's basically a square roller-coaster and it's scary, hahaha! Have a blast!:yahoo:
 
I really don't think I'm going to let him touch my leg next month. We'll see how that goes. I'm not good at openly opposing people
If you need Spence to come down to kick your OS's :censored: and set him straight, I am sure that he would love to! It seems to me like your OS has some *issues* and he takes them out on his patients, so after Spence puts him in his place, perhaps I can then help him work through those *issues*! :heehee: My PT and OS have said that all ROM over roughly 110-120° is *gravy*, so your OS needs to get on board.:thumb: I have different *goals* for my ROM for different reasons, but I would have been just fine if 120° was all Spence was able to bend. I can't think of anything that I wouldn't be able to do on a funtional level with that ROM. So say the word and Spence and I will be on a road trip! :driver:
 
Thank you, I will keep that in mind!

Maybe just imagining all of you with me will help!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom