Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

My PT is encouraging, telling me more rom will com as the swelling goes down. There are good therapists out there. Guess we just need to be picky. Funny- when I first went to schedule my PT, I talked to the head therapist. I told him I did not want anyone who would make me scream or cry. He said none of them do that, because if they cause pain, the patients would never come back! Seems a logical conclusion to me, so why are more places not taking this into consideration?
 
18 weeks with Bionic Spence, 7 weeks since returning to work:

Time certainly seems to be moving faster than I can keep up with! :running:Much of it just seems like a blur, but no worries, Spence won't let me forget about him! :no-fin: I shouldn't complain though, he's grown on (in?) me, and I've gotten rather attached to him! :rotfl: I figure at this point he must be pretty solidly a part of me. No cement, he was designed so that my bone grew into him to hold him in place.

Well, I made it to Hersheypark today, and had a great day walking around and riding rides, especially the roller coasters. Yes, @Pheebs52 , rode the Wild Mouse for you! :yahoo: Spence held up very well with 20,000+ steps, and it dawned on me today that I think that he prefers to be moving rather than sitting. :chinstroke: At least that's my guess considering I really didn't have pain while walking all day, and didn't really think about him. Shhh, don't tell him that! Don't want him to think he needs to make himself known! :no-fin:

The drive home wasn't bad either, much to my surprise. I am icing and elevating due to some swelling, but no pain really, which is good. Hopefully this trend will continue, although I do generally spend most of my time sitting each day, be it driving or at work. :doh:The ups and downs on this recovery road seem so unpredictable. :scratch:

I am trying to think of what else to report at this point. The past week and a half or so have been challenging. While I go up and down stairs foot over foot, I had to hold onto railings for some extra support as they were more difficult due to mild pain and moderate stiffness. So that was a little bit of a *one step back* kind of thing. :sigh:

Scar is getting better, but is still red. I was hoping the redness would have gone away by now. Spence is also a little warm most of the time, but not so warm that it has me concerned at all. Guess he just likes to snuggle up with his blankie! :heehee:

So overall it's just more of the same old same old.:whistle: I guess that's not so terrible, though it would be nice to have some small victories to report. :sad: I do think that I am going to need to start doing things to rebuild strength in quad muscles. There is still a good size disparity between legs. My biggest roadblock to that is trying to find the time and energy to do it. Will have to find some simple exercises that I can work into my day during breaks and such. I do need to chunk together some time for exercise so that I can get use of the sleeves designed to *reactivate* communications between quad & hamstrings and brain. I did use it at the park today, and Spence seems to do well with it.

I suppose that is all for now as I cannot think of anything else to report. Of course it is late and I should be sleeping, so maybe that's why I can't think so well! Ahh, that just jogged my brain! I can report that my sleep has improved a great deal. Spence generally doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night anymore, although I have had some cramping in my thighs that has woken me up. Fortunately I am able to fall back to sleep again pretty quickly. :yes!:

So, the journey continues......:walking:
 
Great report @Fire wolf; woot! I agree, the knee likes to move and basically finds any sort of lengthy sitting a bit objectionable. Your 20k steps at Hershey Park certainly prove that theory! Thanks ever so for giving me a spin on The Wild Mouse, lol!

FWIW, possibly zero, Gary told me to use my railings on stairs until form is perfected. To him, good form is everything. I suspect he's right!

Like you, my leg muscles, calf and quad, are a bit shriveled in comparison with my other leg, so I continue to work on strengthening those as advised by him. Nothing dramatic, no weights involved, just basic strengthening stuff. I am beginning to notice a positive change in gait as a result, but it's just beginning. I realized today that my former, unconscious habit of *hip-dropping* has become much less, so that's a real plus!

Your scar sounds much like mine. I have redness from the center of the knee up, but it's fairly white from that point down. These days, I'd classify the temperature as warm rather than hot yours sounds much the same. *Twins* eh?

I'm really pleased to hear your sleeping has finally normalized; huzzah! Enjoy those deep, healing zzz's tonight, and if Spence wakes up, just slap him. Gently, of course. :heehee:
 
@OJ2, there are no logical answers to that question. I imagine it's a result of not updating current knowledge and technique more than anything. We, here in the U.S., are quite far behind our friends from across the pond in this regard. Perhaps as more and more of us demand gentle treatment, it will become the new norm, eh?
 
that sounds like a fun day Fire wolf and i think it boosted your spirits a little. my incision is still quite red also and gets warmer the more i bend it with exercising. i'm finding that the quad muscles in both of my legs are quite weak and i will have to very gently work on them. melissa gave me some new home exercises that i still have to check out which look like strengthening ones. i'm so happy you're sleep has improved also ~ that will make a huge difference in your demeanour. excellent report.:flwrysmile:
 
Glad you had a good day, I was thinking of you!

I have not noticed my new knee warm at all through this recovery. Interesting.
 
It's Sunday morning and it sounds like a fun day yesterday at HersheyPark. Hopefully Spence is not howling like a banshee this morning but purring like a pussy cat! Probably should give him a rest today though so that your work week doesn't seem endless!
Last week sounds like a bear with the migraines and the mindless. Thank goodness it's behind you now!
 
Thanks everyone! Yes, it was a fun day and a definite spirit lifter! Spence must have enjoyed himself as well, as he is not complaining or any more swollen than normal. I did ice him overnight so I am sure that helped him sleep. I thought I heard an *ahhh, ice is nice* from him before he fell asleep. :heehee:

I have been able to sleep on my back, stomach and sides for maybe the past 2 months, but noticed this past week and a half that Spence has been yelping in pain as I am on my side. Well, it occurred to me last night, finally :idea: that it is only when I am on my right side. So for some reason now, Spence does not like sleeping in the *bottom bunk*, and he sends pain and what feels like muscle cramping but not, on the medial side of him. I have to stretch out that leg for a bit and roll over. It then goes away, but I don't know what the reason for it is being that it is a recent phenomenon. :scratch: Who knows with Spence I guess. Maybe he feels inferior if he isn't on top. Power trip maybe? :shrug: :snork:
 
I'm impressed! A trip to Hershey complete with roller coasters! I'm too chicken for rides. (Fear of heights). I'm happy to hear you were able to do so much without any pain. Your quads will start to balance out as you do more activity. A walk in Hershey is perfect for that. I found my quads evened themselves out eventually after my left revision just by day to day activities but it did take some time.
 
Gary told me to use my railings on stairs until form is perfected. To him, good form is everything. I suspect he's right!
I agree! I use the railing when I feel *weaker*, just to make sure that I maintain good form. My form was important to me from the beginning, so if I was hiking my hip to get Spence up, I stuck with one step at a time. It did require alot of attention in the beginning! I didn't like having to think about everything! :gaah:
 
Your trip to Hershey sounds fantastic! I am looking forward to the day (and I know it's coming) when I can get out and have some actual fun. Even better, glad you are sleeping good. It makes such a difference in everything else. Good luck this week at work.
 
Love your trip to Hershey Park! That's a big undertaking, and a ton of walking even without roller coasters thrown in. Spence is a rock star!

What's happening with Spence while sleeping on your side is very much what goes on with Lefty sometimes. The pain when on the bottom, the stretching out to relieve the tightness and "reset" the muscle or whatever is causing the problem, then going back to sleep. He's doing less and less of it now, and I sleep through most nights. As that part of the knee is becoming less painful and less of a problem, the night pain is going away also.

My scars, too, are still red. A little silvery on top, but not enough to hide the red. Maybe by next summer they will be nice and pale.

You're doing so well, that's enough to report! So much energy, too. You go, girl!
 
@Fire wolf, I so enjoyed reading your update. I was struck by your comment that you wish you had some small victories to report. Please read your update again, there aren't small victories in there, they are HUGE! Hershey Park, just cause you want to go. Not because you HAVE to go to not let someone down. More than 20,000 steps, you think that is small?? I think you are way ahead of the game dear one! By the way, my scars are red as well, especially Beatrice's.:heehee::friends:
 
@becticu, I guess since I did the whole Hersheypark thing at 11 weeks post op with niece and nephew, I didn't see this trip as anything new. But Spence did feel better this time around, which is good. I did take Tylenol and tramadol during the day on Sat just to make sure that I would have an enjoyable day and be able to drive home, as I was by myself this time.

Spence decided to try something new again, and I don't even know where he came up with his latest *activity*. :scratch: He decided that he wanted to go up the stairs backwards! Yes, that is correct, UP, not down. :oyvey: Now I did hold the railings for balance, and this was only at home, not at work, but he made several trips up between last night, when he got this idea, and today. I guess he is trying to build strength in different ways. :shrug: Since it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I will let him go for now just to make him happy! :fingersx:
 
oh my goodness Fire wolf ~ i tried that too, going up the stairs backwards, a couple weeks ago just to see how it would feel. i thought i was going to fall over lol so i don't do it anymore. how did it feel to you?
 
I cannot even imagine!
 
@liam2015 it felt surprisingly *normal* in an odd way. I can tell that it works different muscles, so I will probably let Spence continue to do it. He has tried sideways as well. Clearly he marches to the beat of his own ukulele!:heehee:
 
i found that i was leaning forward too much, to the point of possibly falling. however, you might just have something there ~ perhaps it forces you to balance yourself.:shrug:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom