Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

Now that I will have a matching set I am looking forward to getting back into the yard this year and replant my butterfly garden and put back up my garden loom. I have missed being able to work in the yard.

The pain has been an up and down roller coaster the last few days, but I keep reminding myself that this pain will pass and it is not the old knee pain that would have me sitting out of doing things.

@Threads I decided to finish the hat I started and glad I did, one row to go and it will be completed, so will start the cowel when done. Nice to have a project completed instead of sitting in a bag.
 
@fiberlady - good for you! It sounds like your creative mind is kicking in a lot faster than mine did. I've got far to many projects sitting in bags.

While you are reminding yourself of other things, don't forget to remind yourself that you are just 3 weeks out. I was still in rehab and not doing nearly what you've done. Your knee is bound to still be sore, it's natural and normal after what you put it through :yes:

When we met our youngest family for supper, I thought I would be smart and bring along a wrapping of two colours - silk and organic cotton, that I thought my DIL would like in a scarf for a birthday present. She didn't like them - they were too bright! She'd like something a bit more muted. I'm glad I asked! I'm too tired tonight to go through my stash but I liked the idea of using the cotton and silk for a summer weight scarf. Back to the drawing board.
 
Had a very nice visit today with a fiber and fellow knee friend. Then took a nice nap. I am getting these twinges of pain on the bone below the knee and in my thigh. Knee doesn't seem to have much pain. I knitted so much the past few days and now working on a crochet project that my shoulder hurts.

Have only two more at home PT sessions and then begin outpatient. PT says I am right on schedule. I just need to get this pain under control.

Looking forward to next week and being able to get out of the house
 
@fiberlady - when do you see your GP or OS next? Can you recall doing something that might have strained your leg? Sounds like you had a great day but slow down! Pick up a book and give your shoulder a rest from knitting - alternate - knit an hour, read an hour. You don't need all your joints screaming at you.

I've come to a solution for the scarf. I got out my stash of Fox Fibre and will weave a scarf of 100%, naturally coloured, organic cotton. I'm dangerously low on the dark brown so ordered it on line. My order got messed up and I had to phone to get it straightened out. Sally herself answered the phone. I was blown away to have a chance to talk to Sally Fox, a person I've admired for over 20 years and a pioneer in the American organic cotton industry. Made my day!
 
@Threads oh I know I totally over did it with the knitting, I was obsessed with it, had to get it done. I will be able to stay away from my needles and hooks for the next couple of days and resort to reading.

The pain I am experiencing has been there since day one, but I figured it would go away and was just part of all the other pains that eventually subsided or have gone completely. The one that hurts the most is the bone below the knee the Tibia. It hurts even to touch it. I have an appointment with the OS in a week and a half, so maybe he can shed some light on this problem. In the meantime, elevating helps a bit so I do that a lot. It just probably needs time to heal like everything else and I am still in the early stages of healing and have to constantly remind myself of that fact.
 
@fiberlady - I'm a bit concerned about your knee. Can you get in to see your GP? If there is something that needs to be looked into, the sooner the better. She/he can get you in to see your OS sooner if necessary, I would think. Since my go-to moderator is @referee54, I'm tagging him to see if he can help or refer you to someone on BS that might have experience or knowledge of your kind of bone pain three weeks out from your surgery.
 
@Threads today was a little better, I am doing my exercises but trying not to do other things like standing and watching the birds, kind of staying off it today. I go to outpatient Monday, will see what they say.

Fox fibre wow, I have had some in my stash for years, never used it. Maybe now that I have more time I will use it for towels, bought mine from lunatic fringe many years ago.

Today was a very snowy day that I think added to just feeling funky. Not sure if I am coming down with something or if it is just the weather. Spent the day on the sofa with an occasional walk around the house. Just not feeling 100%. Taking an online computer class so spent time reading and answering emails. Was trying to back off the Norco today, taking tylenol and ibuprofen, however by 6 pm the pain started to get the best of me, so took a Norco. With strict government restrictions now it is harder to get the meds, I am almost out and need to call in for a new prescription,maybe they can give me something that isn't a narcotic, will see when I call.

I think I might be getting a little cabin fever, I can see the benefits of having this surgery during nice weather, at least you can sit outside. Maybe this weekend hubby needs to take me somewhere where I can walk and sit for just a little bit inside, a museum or the local conservatory. Even if it is for a half hour it should pick up my spirits.

Having company tomorrow for lunch, people I used to work with, stopping by with pizza and a short visit, will be nice.
 
At least you have tomorrow to look forward to! You've done an amazing amount in your short time since surgery. Remember that post-surgery depression is often mentioned on BS. No wonder you're a bit down, it's difficult for you to get out and about in the snow. At least I can walk in the rain!

Don't be hard on yourself and please mention the issue with you bone pain when you go to outpatient next week.

Have fun tomorrow!
 
Such a nice day today, pain is somewhat under control, still have one pain that is on the side of the knee, I am guessing it is the muscle it doesn't like me but a bag of peas and some hydrocodon to the rescue. The sun was out for a while today, of course it didn't melt away the several inches of snow we got yesterday. Was able to get some exercises in before company came, now elevating and resting.

Tomorrow is the last day for at home PT then it is outpatient for me from her out. I have not driven yet, since this is the left leg, it should not pose a problem. I am just worried about this slippery weather and hope that the walk way is cleared into the building.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally!!! The second new knee!
@fiberlady, it is not really necessary to go to outpatient PT. It's really up to you. You can get most of the exercise you need just living and doing what you need to get done. However, you can do your own PT at home on your own. Here's a link for you: Exercises for TKRs: do-it-yourself exercises from basic to advanced. This could keep you safe at home if the weather continues to be really bad.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Could you get someone to drive you, if you decide to go? I can't imagine that a Physio Clinic wouldn't keep their paths clear and iced. The last thing they would want it for a patient to slip on their way in or out! I'm sure they would have to clear the parking lot too. Can you practice driving over the weekend?

I'm glad you had company today. How is the pain in the bone below your knee? You haven't mentioned it, so I'm assuming it's improved?

I went to my Block Weaving Study Group meeting today. They are a talented and productive group of weavers so it was inspiring to see what they've woven since the last meeting. One of them is taking a Master Weaver course through the Olds University in Alberta. She wrote an article about the programme in the most recent Handwoven.

Take care and don't overdo it!
 
@Threads my husband is going to drive me on Monday and we will check everything out, I am just being paranoid, I am certain they keep it clean, the fear of falling just seems to creep into your inner most feelings leaving one very vulnerable. I need to just be reassured and will be on Monday. I sure wish spring would get here.

Yesterday my pain level was pretty high including that part of the leg, today it seemed better, hoping tomorrow will also be a good day. I can feel the pain in my leg tonight, so took a pain pill, that should help and allow me to get some sleep.

I signed up for a huck towel workshop with Rosalie Nielson in March, going to use my table loom so I can sit and elevate and weave. I did that when I had my last knee done and took a lace workshop with Robyn Spady, it worked out really well, the stand I have for the table loom allows me the freedom to do that. Took out my e-spinner tonight, first time I had used it in many years, felt good to spin, did take a little to get used to it again, but it really felt good to have fiber slide through my fingers.

I just found my handwoven, will have to go take a look.

The sun was out for a bit today, one could feel the warmth through the window and the prettiest Cardinal was sitting at the bird feeder, definetly makes one want for warmer weather.

@Threads hope you are doing well, it is good to get back to a regular routine, make certain that you don't over do it either, I promise, I have been very good, my sister is going to drop by tomorrow with a slice of pie, as it is supposedly national pie day. Never heard of such a thing, but I will take it.
 
Just poping through threads. Best lucks


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartFourm
❤️bfmasmommy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again Cindy, it's OK to be a bit paranoid! I still carry a cane with me even though I don't use it but it's the security I want should I need to walk over uneven ground. When you are out, you just don't know what you will have to deal with - we've gone through too much not to be cautious.

I'm glad to hear your husband is driving you, whew! I was a bit worried about you heading over by yourself, in the snow, when you haven't driven since surgery. I haven't either, yet - even though it's over 10 weeks. I just can't get into our van without a step stool! BTW - I put my 10 week report up on my thread yesterday, so you can see where I'm at, if you are at all curious, but there is no reason you should be ;-)

I find that my knees aren't happy if I sit too long, with them hanging down - like sitting at the meeting today and then visiting my friend after. Maybe you sat too long during yesterday's visit? My left knee is scolding me now even though it's up.

Rosalie Neilson was here last year teaching her repp weave but at that point, my legs no longer allowed me to stand during a workshop and my table loom is too big and bulky for me to carry. I've got a 12 shaft Woolhouse loom with stand and bench that take up a corner of the living room. I took a Robyn Spady workshop a number of years ago - she's a very good teacher, I enjoyed her. I took There are Two Sides to Every Cloth. You've got a lace theme going. I went to a retreat at Jane's a few years ago and took a 5 day workshop called Lacey Places.

Did I tell you that I have a very old Roberta electric spinner from a friend's estate? I've tried spinning on it but it's so big and bulky and you have to flip the switch to turn it off or on. Maybe I should give it a go again - but not right away, I've just added another project, from today's meeting, to my pile.

Enjoy National Pie Day (I haven't heard of it either) and time - without a two year old - with your sister!

@fiberlady - I'll take care if you take care ;-).
 
@Threads Hubby is very protective and won't let me go without checking it out with me first. If we decide I can't do this on my own, my sister has offered to take me. I miss not being able to go to the therapy right by the house, it was less than a 5 minute drive and a short walk into the building. Always salted and they followed the bone smart mantra. So this will be a new experience for me. I just have to tell them I will not tolerate the "no pain, no gain" attitude. They are connected to the hospital that I had my surgery and if they follow the way they handle therapy at the hospital I should be just fine.

I have a Roberta, with the large bobbins, pulled it out last night and had to take some time getting used to it again, it must have been at least seven or eight years since I have used it. I have a wooly winder for it and could not get that to work, I will see if I can do that today. They do have a pedal that you can use and I had never thought about it but maybe I will consider getting that for it. I love it because it holds so much, it does take some time getting used to the feel. I do like my wheels over the electric though.

If you get a chance to ever take a class from Rosalie Nielson again do it, she is an excellent teacher and such a sweet person. I took her repp class a few years ago and learned so much, I have been watching her video, she is just soo.. smart.

Yes, sitting does pose a problem with the leg hanging down, and with you it is double the pain. I went to my guild meeting on Monday night and could only stay for a little while because of the leg being down, so I only lasted for an hour and a half and then went home. I am headed over to your thread now to read about your progress.

I am waiting for the doctor's office to give me a call regarding my meds, I don't know if they will give me another prescription or not. I will call in a bit if I don't hear from them and ask what is up.
 
Hi Fiberlady I follow @Threads and saw your comment about pain and tenderness below the knee and around it...seeing that you have had work done before you may have not experienced that feeling.....when I contacted my OS about discomfort if I touched the side or bottom of my knee he reminded me that they do a fair amount of tapping and banging around and it was most likely a bone bruise which can take longer to heal....

Vinny
 
@vinny yes, I did have that feeling last time as well, this is about 3 inches below the knee on the bone. I am sure it is connected to bruising. Some days it hurts more than others. I see my OS next week and if anything is wrong I am sure to know by then. This knee seems to be progressing just a little slower than the last one, but, still doing well.
 
@fiberlady and @vinny - that makes so much sense! Whew! I was worried it was something worse, like infection. I never even thought about bone bruising. That must be part of the low brain function right ;-)
 
@fiberlady - as I've said - I'm glad you won't be driving. DH has been very attentive and protective of me as well. I think that's why he's succumbed to the cold he has - it has been a journey for him as well - particularly with me in rehab for 4 weeks! You are very lucky to have a supportive sister close by to pick up the slack.

I think my Roberta is older than yours. My friend rarely bought anything new. I contacted Ertoel in Australia and he said he would need to change the motor in order for the one I have to take on a pedal. It's one of the originals. He could bring it back to new condition but I would have to ship it to Australia and back. It would cost more than buying a new Hansen e-spinner so I decided not to. I'll stick with my wheels and keep it to play with when the mood strikes. They do have big bobbins!

I do have Rosalie Neilson's video on repp, and have watched it. She is very knowledgeable.

I would certainly hope your meds are renewed - you're still at the beginning stages of healing!

Hope you enjoyed your visit and enjoyed National Pie Day.
 
@Threads Well I have heard nothing, no one was in the office today so I will call Monday when I get back from therapy. Luckily I have some meds from the dentist when I had a bad tooth pulled, that just happen to be the same thing, since I only have two pills left and of course tonight I am feeling more pain than usual. I have been sitting with ice hoping that it will take some of the pain away, so far it is not working.

Your Roberta must be prior to 93. I think mine was purchased around 97 / 98.

We are expecting another bit of snow here on Sunday, so a little outing for tomorrow, we have a very nice little conservatory that has a nice array of plants and a wonderful sitting area where it is warm, we plan to spend a little time just so it feels like we have escaped to someplace wonderful. I will need this before the snow begins again. At least it is not as bad as last year, but, it could hold off and give us a snow-less winter. Wishful thinking.

Had my first sleepless night last night, don't know why just could not sleep. The night before I slept wonderful. Hoping that I have a good night tonight.:sleep:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom