Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

Icing question, do any of you ice during the night while sleeping. I ice during the day and have been icing at night also, but last night I was just not in the mood to do it so I didn't of course today I have more pain than I have had in the past, but I wondered if it is good, bad, ok, have to do it, don't have to do it. I guess it was just too cold last night and I just did not want to be colder than I already was.
 
Sorry you are sore today @fiberlady :sad:. I certainly don't see any harm in not exercising today, if your leg hurts, rest it. I ice before I head up to bed - darned if I'm going to carry my ice machine up 14 stairs. I've never iced at night. No question I'm stiff in the morning but I'm not usually in pain. In rehab they wouldn't let me have the ice machine on for more that 1/2 hour at the most, so no machine on overnight there. I'll be interested to see what others say.

I just spent a wonderful day with my like minded friends. Time just flys by when conversation never lags. We're getting our napkins stitched up with Shibori stitches with the plans for a big indigo vat later this spring when some of our group return from their travels.
 
Very swollen today, so spent most of the day icing. Can't figure out what I did that would cause it to be so swollen. Very, very stiff and hard to bend. I hope that things are better tomorrow.
 
@fiberlady - what did you do yesterday? Were you spinning a lot or out and about? I find that I can't have my legs down all day without getting them up and resting. This morning the join between the inside of my legs and hips was quite sore and I think it was the sideways excercises I was doing in the pool.

You've been spoiled - you've been doing incredibly well - your knee is just reminding you it needs time to heal! Hope tomorrow is a better day.
 
@Threads that's what is so odd, I did nothing but ice and PT was here we did the usual exercises nothing new, or more. Slept good, I actually had my leg up and was icing, got up when my hubby came home from grocery shopping and could not believe how sore my knee felt. So we re-arranged the way I was sitting, elevated my leg a little more and I iced and sat and read for almost an hour. Got up later and walked around the house and then on the CPM, feels a little better tonight but so odd. Maybe it was my attempt at trying to knit. :rofsign:
 
@fiberlady - it's got to be the knitting! Even though I'm ahead of you in time, darned if I could figure out how to start a shawl pattern yesterday. I woke up early with sore hips today. I think we've figured it out :heehee:

Tomorrow will be a better day :yes!:
 
@fiberlady - how is your knee now? Are you feeling any better?? I'm casting on 480 stitches for a different shawl than the one I couldn't figure out. At least I know how to cast on!
 
It has been a very long week. My granddaughter has been here since Monday and if my sister had not been here to help I would never have been able to do it. My knee is having an up and down week, therapy is going well, my rom is at 110. My PT is very happy with my progress and I move to outpatient a week from this coming Monday. I have found an awesome place for therapy.

My knee is not too swollen and I keep it iced but it seems very stiff, I don't remember my last knee being this stiff.
 
I'd forgotten that you were going to have your little granddaughter there. You really didn't need your knee to act up this week! Thank goodness you have a great sister who is willing to pitch in.

I think you might be a little impatient - you are only a little over two weeks out from major surgery! I'll bet your other knee wasn't particularly happy at 2 weeks and 2 days. Even having both knees done in the same surgery I have a "good" knee and a "bad" knee. Today when I was trying an exercise in the pool, I found that they had temporarily switched personalities. No two knees seem to heal the same way. I think you are doing amazingly well and I'm really happy that you have found a good out patient physio.

Once your granddaughter leaves, try and give yourself a few days where your spinning wheel doesn't call you, etc. and you just rest, elevate and ice.
 
Granddaughter left this afternoon and I took a two hour nap. My poor sister took care of me and my granddaughter, I don't know what I would have done without her help. Thank goodness she is so good to me. I had some muscle pain last night, that is the worse, not even pain killers will take the edge off. It finally calmed down and I could go to sleep. Have my first appointment for outpatient therapy set up (Jan 26) oh my goodness it is at 8 am. Hubby will be taking me and hopefully after that I can take myself. My PT now says I am progressing very nicely. wish it were summer so that I could go outside and walk, but that will have to wait until the weather is nicer. No more walker this week, I have gone to the cane, took a couple of days to get used to it on the other side, but seems to be working just fine.

I have a date with a movie and the sofa for tomorrow, as well as the ice machine and pillows to elevate. Maybe even a little knitting thrown in there. Looking forward to a quiet relaxing day.
 
It's nice you had that time with your granddaughter, even though it was exhausting. Thank goodness for your sister.

Did you try ice with your muscle pain last night? Do you have any idea what might have brought it on? Spinning???

Take care of yourself tomorrow Cindy, and enjoy your knitting. You've been doing so much, so early in your recovery - you deserve a day, or two or three of pampering.
 
@Threads nope no spinning, and I had the ice machine on so it was getting ice and elevated. I had the same problem with the other knee, that particular area of the knee on both had a lot of trauma. Ice helps a bit, but for some reason the pain meds just don't do anything for it. This evening my knee is feeling great. So I am knocking on wood hoping it stays this way. Decided to crochet a cowel tomorrow from some handspun llama. Looking forward to a nice quiet day.
 
@fiberlady - my pain that meds won't touch is the nerve pain! Strange that these powerful meds don't touch certain pains. Ice doesn't touch it either but I would have thought it would have helped your muscle issue more than it appears to have. I'll think about you tomorrow, curled up with your handspun llama crocheting away and relaxing. See if you can stretch being good to yourself over the weekend :yes!:

I went for my first out-patient physio appointment today and got measured. My leg strength is not where I want it but she gave me some tips on how to work at that in the pool. I need to work on my extensions, both are a few degrees out but I have excercises that I will have to stop ignoring for that. The good news was that my ROM was 120 in both knees. I'm quite pleased but sore after all the stretching and measuring.

I'm supposed to be at a Guild meeting tonight but the friend that was going to drive me came down with a really bad chest cold that is going around out here. She didn't want to share it with me or anyone else. I still can't climb into our van without a stool, so can't drive. That's where getting my legs stronger than they are now, will help. Oh well, I'll have lots to catch up next month and I'm kept quite up to date by friends.

I'm still casting on 480 stitches on one needle. Will have to do the same on another, I'd better get with it!
 
Ha, went back and read my recovery thread from the right knee, at three weeks I said my knee was stiff, duh, this is no different, it is stiff, but I am improving every day. The difference this time, I have nothing major going on in my life and I don't have to work. I love being retired. I actually feel like I get the rest I need.

Did have a lot of pain today, and it is itching. So today I am taking my pain meds on a regular basis, yesterday I had no pain. But my spirits are up and am looking forward to next week and visits with my friends.
 
WOW - that's handy to have your other recovery thread to go back to so you can compare notes. Good to read this positive post from you. Last week took it's toll on you, next week can be fun - as long as you take your pain meds on schedule!
 
Got out of the house for the first time without it being to just go to the doctors. We went to lunch and then stopped over to our kids house to drop off my dil's birthday gift. Came home to take a nice nap. Good to get some fresh air. Tomorrow marks 3 weeks post op. Happy with my new knee even when there is pain as I know that this will pass and I soon will have two knees that are happy knees.
 
Got out of the house for the first time without it being to just go to the doctors. We went to lunch and then stopped over to our kids house to drop off my dil's birthday gift.
That is what it is all about---that little trip is all about bringing that normalcy back to your life!

There will be plenty more and you will not have to nap afterward, either!
 
That's great! Soon you'll be out doing Guild stuff and back into full swing. I've got two meetings I plan to go to this week, so life does return to normal if you patiently wait for it and have a DH that will willingly drive me places! We were out at a dil's birthday party last night and dinner with the youngest branch tonight at a Vietnamese restaurant, so I won't be sitting in one place nearly as long as last night. How's the cowel coming??
 
Just those little things that make a difference! :flwrysmile:
That is why we had the TKR or the BTKR---to return our lives back to normal!

Those little trips may be a bit tiring, but they give you that glimpse of what it is all about---and take away some of the dark times that we have during recovery.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom