Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

[Bonesmart.org] Finally!!! The second new knee!
Doing a happy dance here (well as much of one someone with a new knee can do) :dancy::happydance::egypdance:

We went out to Belle Isle that has a great conservatory, it was so nice, I love going there, seeing all the beautiful plants and flowers is a good way to lift the spirits and it definitely did just that today.

The pain is very minimal and I feel like this is going to be a good day all the way around. I was able to sleep for a little bit on one side last night, got up with minimal stiffness this morning, felt like I had woke up to a brand new knee on the way to being great. Got a nice walk inside and out, it was bitter cold outside but felt good to get fresh air. The conservatory is not to large and has benches so I could walk, sit, and walk a bit more.

You must be in the Detroit area where I grew up! I love Belle Isle! I was just in Michigan (near Port Huron) for two weeks this month and for five weeks from October until November on the west side of the state near Ludington. Whereabouts are you? I grew up in East Detroit, but they now call it "Eastpointe". I LOVE the "D"!
 
@fiberlady - what good news, the new PT sounds awesome and I think it really helps that you have to go out for it, no matter what time of day!

BTW - I checked the Excel sheet and the formulas are all there - whew. I was able to work out what I needed for a test project.
 
@Threads Yes, it is good I have to get out, I must have talked the poor therapist's ear off this morning. I cannot even begin to believe how great the knee feels after one day of stretches. Pain is still there, but at least I can take the pain meds and am hoping that tonight will be a good night for sleep.

Thank you for the excel sheet, we were able to work on it to figure out our yardage, what fun. Thank you so much.

The brain doesn't feel so cloudy this week and I have been able to concentrate on a few things. I am finally seeing that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.
 
@MotownGirl66 I live in Grosse Pointe Woods, grew up in Roseville, hubby grew up in Detroit (Jefferson and Chalmers) My son owns a house in Eastpointe, hubby has his office at Riverplace (the old Parke Davis) not far from Belle Isle, now that it has been made into a State Park, the conservatory is wonderful and they have re-opened the aquarium on Saturdays and Sundays. I love Port Huron, next time you are in Port Huron go downtown and stop in the "Raven" for lunch a really nice place, food is great as well as the atmosphere.
 
@fiberlady - how often do you go to PT? That silly brain thing does make a mess of how you feel. I'm tired today and we will both sleep well tonight!

I looked up your Conservatory - it looks like the perfect place to spend hours on a cold and snowy day. You reminded me that we have a small one in Vancouver, now part of the VanDusen Gardens (we are members) so it wouldn't cost us a cent to go and wander around there with our cameras, and I'm sure there are lots of places to sit ;-) Thank you for that!
 
@Threads I go twice a week, actually wish it were 3 days but I will just have to be diligent and make certain I do my exercises.

So glad you were able to find a conservatory by you. Ours is free also and we have some great photos, I had forgotten to bring my camera on Sunday, but hubby took some pictures with his iphone. Every time we go there are so many different things in bloom. Near Easter they bring in flowers and decorate a whole entire area it is just beautiful. They have a nice collection of Orchids that are stunning and a cactus room that has been around for many years and on a cold dreary day going there is the best medicine. It is like going away someplace tropical without ever having to go far from home.
 
Icing question, do any of you ice during the night while sleeping. I ice during the day and have been icing at night also, but last night I was just not in the mood to do it so I didn't of course today I have more pain than I have had in the past, but I wondered if it is good, bad, ok, have to do it, don't have to do it. I guess it was just too cold last night and I just did not want to be colder than I already was.

I hope I'm not too late to provide my comments for you about icing at night. I'm a HUGE fan of it!!! I iced my knee front and back all night long for at least 3 months for both knees and it made such a difference for me. The ice really kept me comfortable and I could sleep better. During the latter part of that time I had stepped down from hydrocodone to Tramadol and Tylenol for pain. That plus the ice was perfect.
 
@Jamie nope not too late, I was more concerned that maybe I was icing too much. I put the polar pack on and wrap that around my knee cover up with a lot of blankets and go to sleep. I know,I was told not to ice for that many hours, but when I was in the hospital they didn't seem to mind that it was on my knee for hours. I can't do it for that long now as the cold starts to hurt if it is on my leg for for that five or ten minutes, even when I have my leg wrapped in a towel. But when I could do it it really helped.
 
@fiberlady Ironically, I just had lunch at the Raven about two days before I flew back to Fort Myers! I really enjoy checking out how they have it decorated. It's a small world, isn't it? While in Detroit, I went to the Auto Show, stayed with friends in Sterling Heights, spent a lot of time in restaurants and shopping on the Hall Road corridor. As I drove to the airport, I went back to Eastpointe and walked down memory lane. I was shocked at the decay. So very sad! It is my heartfelt most desire to move back to Michigan and I thought I was going to do it this Spring but my husband and I have decided to try a motorhome for a few years. I like Grosse Pointe; I like the little cozy bars on Kercheval. It's so close to Detroit and I am so proud of the city for pulling itself back up.
 
@MotownGirl66 wow, you were in my back yard. We feel the same way about Harper Woods as you do about Eastpointe. My son has a home in Eastpointe that he cannot sell, so he rents it out, and it is really a lovely home, it is on Piper near Toepher. My sister lives in Sterling Heights. The next time you are in town message me, we can do lunch. I hate shopping up on Hall road. Yikes, the traffic. I guess I am a small town girl that lives near a big city. Traveling in a motor home would be awesome, my hubby will never retire, his work is his hobby. I see you had your right hip replaced in 2012, mine was in December of that year. I am getting close to having the left hip done soon. With your left knee in March you will be a bionic woman. We will need to start our own club.
 
The stretching exercises that they are having me do are actually making a difference in how my leg feels. I am feeling very hopeful now. I have to admit I was getting a little discouraged, I know in the back of my head that every knee is different, but I guess I wanted this one to move along at the same pace the other knee did.
 
Friday ended up being a special day, my sister took me to get a hair cut and we then we drove up to St Clair to meet her son, I got to walk through a yarn store and then we had lunch. What a nice day. It was so good to get out. Saturday night was a no pain sleep all night. Wow, it felt good. Now we are in the middle of a snow storm and hubby's sister fell and broke her leg in two spots, so now he has me and his sister to look after. At least I can take care of myself better now.
 
I'm glad to hear you are making good progress, but sorry to hear that your sis-in-law broke her leg. Healing thoughts for her!
 
@fiberlady - what is it about getting your hair done? You relax in the chair and, for once, it's all about you. And, you got to wander through a yarn store and fondle lots of yarn. Did you get to bring some home? What a perfect day out! Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, but you're right - you are stronger now and more independent, just don't be too independent - you are only just a month out.
 
@Threads oh my it was so good to get my hair cut, and then to go to a yarn shop, well of course 5 skeins of yarn two patterns and a book crochet Noro found its way home with me. Now I have enough yarn to knit 3 cowls and I can drool over the book.

My poor sister in law broke her leg in two spots and had surgery this morning, they put a rod in her leg, she had fallen and broke her ankle in the same leg five years ago and has a metal plate in the ankle. My poor husband is beside himself, I told him not to worry about me, I have food in the fridge and knitting projects to do and since I had my nice outing I am all set for a while.

I do have to admit that the stretching exercises have vastly improved my knee. It does not seem to be as stiff as it was last week. The pain in the leg seems to have eased up a bit also. The surgeons office called tonight and cancelled my appointment for tomorrow due to the snow storm. I need to call on Tuesday and reschedule. Hope I don't have to wait very long to get in to see him, it is just my one month check up, but I want to make sure every thing is going okay.
 
I was in rehab when I went for my one month check-up. I guess it's good to get the x-rays but I spent only a couple of minutes with my OS. His words were "you are where I expect you to be at 1 month". On that note, we turned around, and waited for the wheelchair transport to take me back to rehab. I had to sit in a wheelchair, even though I didn't need it, so they could secure me. For the first time in my life - I felt like a fragile piece of china bring packaged and transported!

I know how you felt about the yarn shop. I had to go to see my doctor the week I left rehab and the second stop after seeing her, was a yarn shop. (The first was to pick up our grandson's Christmas present). I didn't need anything, of course but ........ how can you walk out empty handed. I'm very slowly knitting this shawl https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/volan along with a friend - a sort of KAL. However, I've had that yarn for eons so I guess picking up more is just filling in the holes I made.

Does your sister-in-law live close by or does your husband have to do a lot of traveling in the snow? It sounds like she's had a rough time of it and it will take a while for her to heal.

Enjoy your quiet time - now that you've had a chance to get out a bit.
 
Yesterday was a pretty good day, hardly any pain, did my stretches and walked around the house a bit, we were having a huge snow storm, I think we got about 15 inches of snow yesterday. The sun is out right now, all appointments have been cancelled. I was up and ready to go to rehab when they called and said don't come. I am experiencing a little pain this morning, so took a pain pill. I want to wean off the pain meds worried I will get to used to taking them, only took one yesterday just before bed time as I could feel the pain.

The knee feels less tight today, which is a good thing. I am seeing some progress now.
 
@Threads luckily hubby's sister is only 15 minutes away. His sisters are coming in tomorrow to stay a few days to be with her. Luckily my husband has a large family, we are the closest to this sister the others live either out of state or at least an hour or more away.

If I can get up enough energy today I might work on the warp for the mug rugs. A little tired this morning, had to get up at 6 to go to therapy they called at 7:10 and told me to stay home. Now I am sitting here looking out the window at all the pure white snow, thinking if I could just get a bucket of snow I could do some snow dyeing. Instead I am sitting here all cozy with a cup of tea, wishing I had a fresh scone to go with it and some marmalade. Hope you have a great day, I need to get back over to your thread and catch up on how you are progressing.
 
@fiberlady - I'd be ticked if I had to get up at 6:00 am and then have the appointment cancelled! That doesn't happen here - you don't cancel for rain ;-) I do sometimes envy your snow, a beautiful, clean, white world on the other side of your window - instead of grey, grey and more grey! I'm glad your husband has someone to share the responsibility of your sister with. It would a very heavy load if had to carry that himself, while he worried about you.

Take your pain meds if you need them. I've only been off mine for a couple of weeks, and when I went off them, I knew I didn't need them anymore. You're body will tell you when you don't need them. Why am I telling you this - you've been on this journey twice before!

I've never done snow dyeing or even seen it done. When we do get snow, it's not much and it doesn't last long!

Did you get the warp done for the mug rugs?
 
It seems all my body wants to do these days is sleep. I so wanted to at least work on a project while I was sitting and elevating my leg yesterday, but I kept falling asleep. I am hoping today will be different. Sleep at night is often disrupted by bathroom breaks and just being uncomfortable. I finally gave in yesterday and tried to take two naps, I still felt so tired afterwards and could not seem to wake up. I am now five weeks post op and have realized that this knee is about two weeks behind the last knee. I have finally decided to accept this and also realized it doesn't matter I don't have to be anywhere, I am retired.

The good news for my Week five is that my knee is bending so much better and the tightness seems to be going away. The stretching exercises that PT is having me do really is working, I try to do them at least three times a day and I don't mind doing them since I have noticed a huge improvement.

@Threads we ended up with 18 inches of that white stuff. My goal next year is to take up snowshoeing something I always wanted to do, my husband thinks I am nuts, but I have two good knees now, so why not. It is bitter cold out today only 9 degrees the last time I looked and we are expecting 3 more inches of snow tonight. I am okay with them calling me at late notice, they really were anticipating being open, but the director of the center decided to close in the morning so they had no choice. I was disappointed as I really enjoy going. I was going to work on threading the heddles yesterday but was so sleepy I just looked at it. Hoping today I will be able to tackle it. Snow dyeing is fun you can get the same results from ice dyeing.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom