Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

@Threads thanks I will check this out. This usually disapears after a few months, I have experiencd RLS with all three surgeries. This one is lasting a little longer. I am certain it has a lot to do with the slower progress of my knee this time.

Had my second injection for my ankle, having bad joints is getting to be a pain, no pun intended. I am hoping this will help so I can walk further than what I already do. Purchased some walking sticks today for when we go on vacation, we will be hiking at glacier national park. It has been years since I have been able to participate in our hikes. My hip has been behaving, the pain on the left side of my leg below the knee comes and goes, it is not as intense as before, and when my leg gets tired I put on the compression stocking.

I have my six month check up on the 16th of June. My ROM is good and my extension is good, it is actually better than the right knee, which never got to 0. Some days the knee is stiffer than usual and I am curious as to what the OS will say.
 
Good luck and have a nice time. Just leaving Key West. The week was very relaxing. Be careful not to over do it.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fiberlady - I hope you are better at using your walking sticks than I am. I think if I had used them on the up and down 5K walk last Sunday, my knees wouldn't have been as swollen this week. They were in the van, but I didn't think of them :groan:. So do as I say, and not as I do!!! They will be with us on our road trip and I will have to be more diligent with my exercises, even while we are travelling. My ice packs should arrive early next week, so I'll be able to ice - stopping at a "Timmy's" or "Mickey D's" somewhere not too far from our campsite.

I'm just thinking of your plans to hike. The up is easy peasy but coming down is a different story. Keep that in mind when you set off on a trail. I'll check in when I can when we're on the road. I want to hear how your workshop went and your OS appointment. Your blog has been quiet lately but maybe after your workshop you'll have lots of photos to share ;-)

We're still in town until a week Sunday, so I'll be in touch before we leave.
 
@Threads my walking sticks arrived today in a nice carry pouch, they have a neat thing, the bottom comes off so,it is sort of a pointy end, hoping this will be good for the soft areas and coming down. I tried them out in the house and really think they will be a great help. Hubby won't let me overdo it or try anything that is more than I can handle, he is very overprotective.

I have been so busy these past few weeks weaving our samples and finishing up the diaper weave samples that belong to a friend, and making my warps for the dye workshop that I haven't posted anything. Went to a fellow fiber artists estate sale today, a lot of mixed emotions looking through all of her treasures. But at least it is comforting to know that the stuff will get used and not thrown out.

Bought myself a new pair of sandals, with lots of support and a new pair of athletic shoes, I had been putting this off and knew from the last two surgeries that it is a good idea to replace your shoes after knee and hip replacement. So I finally bit the bullet and am glad I did I Should have done this sooner.

My knee, ankle and hip are all behaving themselves today, a good feeling.
 
@fiberlady - glad to hear that your walking sticks have arrived! It's important to get them set to just the right height for you. I brought mine into PT and they adjusted them. Mine are Nordic poles and come with little rubber boots on the bottom for sidewalks that I can remove to put other kinds of "feet" on them. I bought some snow pads, even though we rarely have snow but I thought they might help me at the beach in August :yes!:. However, they didn't come in a nice bag - there is a clamp of sorts that holds the pair together.

I bought new shoes and threw out a number of pairs as well. I looked carefully at the sandals I'd bought last year and they didn't have any obvious wear and tear on them, so I'm wearing them. The shoes I bought prior to surgery have Velcro straps, which might be handy of our flight next year and after surgery I bought a solid pair of walking shoes (old lady shoes). I feel solid in those and I'll wear them on our camping trip.

I can relate to the estate sale. A couple of years ago a friend was diagnosed and died of Panreatic Cancer within a surprisingly short time. She ran a weaving program at the school she was a Special Needs teacher in and was known to never say no when something was offered to her. She was single, lived in a large townhouse and we knew she was a hoarder! What we didn't know was how bad it was, she wouldn't let anyone in her house! Because her family had no idea about weaving, spinning, knitting or fibre related "stuff" another friend and I spent that summer sorting through what she had. We sorted through the floor to ceiling stuff she had in her big rec room and when that was done, the family said great - we can empty the storage locker! We sold everything at rediculously low prices, just to get equipment into new homes and used. Looms, wheels, and endless tools of all kinds. She and her mother had both been knitters and my friend kept all her mother's yarn after she died. We filled a 2 car garage with big bins of yarn (that we had sorted through - mostly acrylic), floor to ceiling, front to almost back so we could walk around. The rec room in the basement was full of all the other stuff - books, shuttles, yarn, and on and on. At give away prices we raised $10,000 and the family matched it. Another $10,000 was added and there is now on ongoing legacy in her name in the form of scholarships to textile programs. It was quite a summer but worthwhile in the end. Others offered to help the two of us, but there just wasn't any room for anyone else to work!

See what happens when you mention estate sale! At least my stash is more manageable ;-)
 
So hoping this is a trend, going on several good days, did a walk about in the large mega grocery store (which I hate) did that yesterday morning and my leg was tired, but after a few hours I felt great. Today was another one of those days where we thought we might have to get out the row boat as the rains have not stopped and the temperature has dropped, it was 81 degrees yesterday at 3 pm and by 8 it was down to 53 degrees. The high today was 49. The knee and leg did not mind at all, we took a two hour road trip to deliver a carder that I sold and I was not stiff or limp when I got out of the car.

We will see what happens next weekend when I am gone to my conference and dye workshop. I will be doing a lot of walking back and forth to the workshop, exhibits, the food hall and the dorm where we sleep. I am bringing my walking shoes and my cane, a ice bag and pain pills. Hoping I don't have to depend on the pain pills or too much ice, we will see how it goes.
 
Great to hear that you were out and about - even though it was in a mega store (ugh!). You certainly seem to be doing so much better!

I didn't realize that your workshop was attached to a conference - what fun!!! Which one is it? Don't push yourself too hard though, plan to elevate and ice every night so that you can enjoy the next day! You'll be on your feet a lot, checking out vendors, chatting with friends, and so on and so on!
 
Oh my goodness, I said I was having several really good days, and yes, I am, but hubby reminded me that the reason I might be having these great days is because I am on Prednisone for my ankle. I hope that it stays this way after I stop taking the meds. All the stiffness behind my knee is gone, it actually feels pretty darn good. Oh, the ankle does too.

@Threads The conference is the Michigan League of Handweavers, we are not as large as we used to be, but we have workshops on the even years and a conference with workshops on the odd years. We have about 120 attendees this year, in years past it would have been 2 - 300 participants. We have a fashion show on Friday, about a dozen vendors, exhibits from the state guilds, Fiber Art and Functional Art exhibits and a key note speaker. We also have elections of officers this year with me raising my hand to be vice-president. Yikes, still can't believe I did this. Ice and elevation are my friend. Two years ago when I had my right knee done I did the entire conference and paid dearly for it, this time I am only doing two days instead of five. I just knew this knee would not be able to handle all the fun.
 
Sounds like a fun time ahead - I look forward to reading what you end up being tempted to buy ;-) You do know what happens after you've been vice-president, don't you Madame President ;-) Been there, done that - more careful (selfish) now.

I don't think I'll be going near any yarn stores on this rural trip, which is a good thing! I don't need anything - note the use of "need" not "want". I'm saving for a 5 day Maiwa workshop in September. Not on textiles themselves, but on journaling.

How long are you on the meds for? Until you see your OS? Hopefully you'll be comfortable at the conference and not "pay" for it after.

My ice bags arrived this morning along with a book about the Danube and it's history. Interesting evening reading on the trip while I'm icing.
 
I have been enjoying the huge difference in my leg and knee since I have been on the steroids. My last pill is tomorrow and I am hoping everything hangs on for a few more days to get me through my conference. I don't see my OS for another two weeks, and Imwill share with him how these meds helped my knee and leg.

I actually took two walks today without the assistance of my cane, and I was not tired. I actually feel like there is hope.
 
That's great news. My fingers are crossed that you will be mostly pain free at your conference and workshop :fingersx:

I finished making my journal for the trip. I used the same fabric for the cover that I used when I made my little sock knitting bag. I'll be coordinated, which is so important when you are camping ;-) When do you leave? We don't leave until Sunday.
 
@Threads I leave Friday morning and return on Sunday evening. I am looking forward to it. Just packed my compression stocking. I am hoping for a pain free weekend. This week has been great. I am a little sore today but nothing really bad, I have been running around trying to get things together. Almost ready. Really would rather sit and spin. Have a great trip.
 
@fiberlady - have a great time! We'll be on the road by the time you get back. I'll be signing in when we can find wi-fi so report on your conference, please!
 
I spent three days walking all over a most beautiful campus in Holland Michigan. The weather was extremely pleasant. I wore my compression stocking and used my cane when my leg got tired. I did spend Saturday afternoon walking around without my cane and my leg was a little tired. I had to do a lot of standing to work on my projects but did have a chair to sit on when I got tired. I had a lot of people help me, and I took the help they offered. I was tired on Monday when I returned home, but my knee seemed to be okay. I really feel that as I am headed towards the 6 month mark that things are getting better. It was nice to move without the pain in my knees.
 
It sounds like you had a wonderful @fiberlady. How wonderful to have fun "playing" and creating with like minded people and not having any if your joints screaming at you. It's great to hear that you are on the home stretch with this knee. Have fun planning projects with the warps you brought home.

We're in southwest Saskatchewan tonight at a campsite for 3 nights. I'm looking forward to some gentle hikes over the next few days - the weather has been so hot since we left home! However, I'm icing as I write this, so I'm using my blue ice bags!
 
Well the steroids have worn off and my knee is back to its old self ugh! I see the OS tomorrow morning and we will see what he says. This is my 6 month check up a couple of weeks early. It is painful when I stand to walk wspwcially first thing in the morning.


@Threads i have ordered my blue ice bag and will take it with me. Hope the weather cooperates for you. Enjoy your hikes.
 
@fiberlady - so sorry to hear that your shots have worn off :holysheep: Is that your shots to your hip? Have you been wearing your compression stockings for your knee? Things have been so good and you've had that wonderful workshop experience and now have those beautiful painted warps to play with! Hopefully your OS will come up with a solution tomorrow morning. I'll be thinking of you - please let us know what he has to say.

Yesterday we went on a couple of nice hikes, one very short looking for signs of the wild orchids that grow in this special protected area. The other hike was longer and on a plateau overlooking the plains below. We walked slowly - because we kept seeing different wildflowers that we'd never seen before. Doug actually spotted an orchid! It's been soooo cold the last few days, if I were an orchid I would stay all wrapped up in my flower bud! So, we were thrilled to see one. Our cameras were busy. This morning we had 4 deer grazing within yards of where we are camped! For a city person, that's always exciting.
 
Ugh! the Doctor had to cancel today so I don't get to see him until next week Tuesday. I guess I can wait that long. Getting up in the morning is tough, setting that leg down and trying to walk first thing in the morning seems to be a little painful and when I sit for awhile, it takes a bit to get it to feel better.

@Threads The steroids they gave me for my foot are the ones that wore off. Your hikes sound wonderful. It has been so long since we have gone for a nice hike. I am so looking forward to our trip.
 
We have been having a lot of rain lately, and am wondering if this adds to my discomfort. All the old aches and pains are back. I cannot wait to see the surgeon on Tuesday. I really need to know If this will ever improve.
 
Rain and a low barometer cause my aches and pains to act up. My TKR is getting less sensitive with time. Hope the weather clears and you feel better soon.



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom