Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

Don't give up! Things will turn around and there will be no stopping you. I wish I could transport you to the rolling plains where we are - warm and sunny during the day. We had a thunder shower this afternoon but the wind quickly blew it away. Tuesday will be here before you know it.
 
I have been forcing myself to do the stretching exercises, it seems to be helping a bit. I still have that initial pain when I first get up in the morning or if I have been sitting for awhile. I don't think the rains will ever stop, my arthritis is really bothering me. I am so looking forward to going someplace where it doesn't rain every day. We leave on Thursday and hoping my knee and hip will behave themselves.
 
I will have my six month check up on Thursday. Hope our doctors have good things to say to us, @fiberlady


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
From what I've heard from family and seen on our trip, the weather has been warm and dry in the western part of NA. Almost too dry, is what I've heard from eavesdropping on rancher and farmer conversations over our morning coffee break. Luckily, you won't be roughing it and should be able to get ice every night. Please let us know what your OS says on Tuesday. I try to find wi-fi when I can, so will check in. I'm thinking of you!
 
@AThom10731 I can hardly believe it has almost been six months, this has been a long journey. How is your hip doing? I hope the next six months will be easier, I don't even think about my right knee anymore.

@Threads I have been watching the weather out in Spokane and it is going to be 105 on Saturday, we won't be there until the 3rd so I am hoping it will get cooler. We have several cabins we are staying in, not roughing it too much. I have gotten back into the habit of doing my stretches and the tightness on the back of my knee has eased up a bit. I will be glad to spend sometime out of doors without rain. Have you been using the walking sticks on your hikes? We have decided to go to Mt Rainier from Seattle. I am hoping the knee holds up through all this activity.
 
Ok, all I can do is laugh. The surgeon's office called today and cancelled the appointment for Tuesday. Since we are leaving this week for our three week vacation, I won't be going for my 6 month check up until July 28th. Oh well. I will survive.
 
@fiberlady - good for you, doing your exercises! I've been walking more but yesterday and today will be long drive days, and my knees notice the lack of activity. Doug had some "Deep Relief" by Deep Cold and I've put that on this morning. It might be an idea for you to pick some up to give you some relief when you can't ice.

In answer to your question about my poles - they've come on the trip but haven't been used. They get in the way of my photography. I'm carrying my camera and equipment when I'm hiking, so I don't have enough hands to use my camera and hold onto the poles. However, if I wasn't carrying my gear, I would have/should have used my poles.

I wrote the above earlier, ready for when my iPad was charged a bit and I had access to cellular. I can't believe that your appointment is cancelled! Can you talk to him on the phone before you go with any questions?
 
@fiberlady - thinking of you and wanted to wish you a great trip, full of fun and interesting sights. I know you'll be busy packing tomorrow and didn't want to miss wishing you a Bon Voyage. Be in touch from the road, if you have a chance.:driver:
 
This week has certainly been a trying one. I am still having the pain when I step down first thing in the morning. The stretches seem to ease some of the stiffness, and the storms we have been having don't seem to help. We are packed and ready to hit the road. We will be doing a lot of walking and I have packed my ice pack, my compression stocking, and my walking sticks. I am so ready for this, it has been many years since we have been on a vacation like this, once my knees and hip gave out we stopped hiking and I became fluffy. I will post when we have wifi.
 
Well we are into our fourth day of our journey. The first and third day we did a lot of driving and my leg swelled. The second day we stopped and walked a lot, I was slow but I was moving. My knee felt great, no swelling and some pain but nothing I could not live with. The third day we did a lot of driving and had swelling and pain. We will see what today brings, we only have to drive for five hours. We will plan time for a walk. At least one I can pinpoint everything I need to discuss with my OS when I return.
 
We're home now and it's hot! I found that the days where we did a lot of driving with no chance to get out and walk were more difficult. Hopefully you'll be able to get some walking in - keeping your knees bent for long periods doesn't help. Hope you are enjoying your trip, so far.
 
Well today I have reached the six month mark since my LKR. Wow I cannot believe it has been six months. It has been a bumpy ride, from the surgery being cancelled three times to having my hip complain about the exercises to my sixth month checkup being cancelled twice. I have seen some improvement, especially in the last month or so, still slower than I really want it to be.

We are on day four of our three week vacation. We have traveled through four states and we are traveling our fifth one today and tomorrow. It seems that when we travel many hours in one day my leg swells and today it swelled and began to hurt. Then my left hip decided it wanted to get into the fun also. I could not wait to get to each rest stop so I could walk. We will be staying put after tomorrow for a couple of days, and we will do some hiking. Of course the weather is very hot. At least I have left the rain and cold behind us, and am enjoying the warm weather. Of course it does not need to be this warm. One really nice thing was the walk that required we climb some stairs, no pain going up or down. What a plus.

With all the walking I am doing, I hope it strengthens my legs. I am feeling pretty positive about this whole experience and hope by the time we return home I will have two legs that are stronger and two good knees. I need to have a stern talk with my hip and tell it, it needs to get on the wellness wagon. :walking:
 
Sitting for long periods is a tough one. I'm happy to hear that you are on the lookout for rest stops! I'm glad you are staying put for a few days so you can get those legs (from top to bottom) out there doing some walking. Enjoy your down time from all the driving!
 
Well we made it to glacier national park. We went on two hikes yesterday. My knees did great and I had no trouble going up and down in areas. Doing a happy dance. I actually did better than my husband. However, I did not ice last night and my knee was hurting a bit. My hip is not happy either. Today we will be doing an all day tour, so I will need to ice. :hiking:
 
Just read your post asking how my hip is doing! Thanks for asking. PT begins on Wed. I don't have any issues unless I poke it or walk more than 10 minutes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck. Know I'm not hippy. But I know pt is hard. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
When I walk a distance my knee tends to get very stiff. It does good going up and down slopes and stairs. I am happy about that. I still have the pain when I get up first thing in the morning or after I have been sitting for a while.

@Threads we are having a very good time and of course it is very hot. Back home it has been cold. I have been able to ice frequently, which has been helpful and I have been taking ibuprofen on occasion. We are at Mt Rainier today and tomorrow and head back to Spokane on Friday. It was great to visit with our niece and sister in law. They took us to a park that had a wonderful rose garden. Unfortunately I let my husband carry the camera and he did not take one picture of any of the roses, the colors were magnificent. I was able to spend an hour at Paradise Fibers, wow had no idea they were that big. Bought a few skeins of yarn nothing for weaving.

We have been doing a lot of walking and I really feel like my leg and knee are getting stronger. I am tired tonight but I think the heat plays a big role in how they feel. Spent a bit icing this evening. Looking forward to tomorrow and several excursions. Hope you are doing well
 
@fiberlady - glad to hear you are having a fabulous time! It has been hot and dry on this side of the continent and we're living in a haze of smoke from forest fires. I hope you don't have that in Spokane. I've never been in Paradise Fibers but I've been on their website and seen their ad in Handwoven. I figured the store would be big. I'm totally impressed with the restraint you've shown - only a few of skeins of knitting yarn! WOW!

I'm glad your knee and hip are behaving. I found mine happier on holiday too. Maybe that's what we should give them - permanent holidays :heehee: Hopefully you'll have a chance to visit another garden and tell your hubby he is your Sherpa and needs to have the camera always ready for your use or to accept direction as to what you want a photo of.

Take care and keep having fun. You certainly deserve it!
 
Well I guess the two hikes around Mt Rainier were a bit much for my knee and hip. If it had not been so hot I could have worn my compression stocking, but in the 90's is a bit too warm for me. I spent the evening icing and elevating. We will be mostly driving for the next few days so I will try to keep it elevated. I will be trying to sit in the back seat. Hopefully the knee will behave.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom