Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

@fiberlady - I'm so sorry to hear that you have added one more sore spot to your list!!! Have you been wearing the compression stockings - would they help your ankle? At least, you have an appointment with your OS coming up and you can ask him about your issues.

I finished a second natural cotton scarf this week and had it ready for Jane when she stayed here overnight last night. She was in the city to speak at our Guild's annual Memorial Lecture. She had us all in the palm of her hand as she told us about her path in life with weaving and the different women who had influenced her along the way. It was a story about growth, weaving and strong relationships with mostly older women who had opened doors in her imagination, technique, the textiles of other cultures and making what she absorbed part of her life. It was a captivating story.
 
I have been wearing my compression stocking on and off through out the week. Wore it today as we were supposed to go for our first walk in an area that has a marsh. We didn't get very far as we ended up with our granddaughter who wanted nothing to do with walking today. Might have been a good thing as the leg and knee are very stiff and the ankle hurts. It does help to have the compression stocking on the ankle. It was warm today and with this stocking it kind of made it a bit uncomfortable.

@Threads I just finished my samples from the workshop and am hoping to get that silk wrap on the loom. I would have loved to hear the talk from Jane. We have been able to have several speakers this year which really helps to keep us all interested in perusing our fiber interests.
 
Some good changes this week, I am now at 18 weeks, and doing a bit better. The pain in my knee is not as bad, I still have some discomfort, but not nearly as bad as it was two weeks ago. My energy level has finally started coming back and I actually feel like I can make it through an entire day. My hip is hanging on and I see the specialist for my ankle next week. Not to mention the weather is getting nicer. I still feel some stiffness but have been doing the stretching exercises and have increased the amount of walking I have been doing. :flwrysmile:
 
Good to hear things are looking up for your knee.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
@fiberlady - glad to hear you are having a better week. I've had a busy one as my life returns to my new normal. Tuesday I headed downtown on transit, to have tea with friends and then managed to walk from where I met them up to the Vancouver Art Gallery in 12 minutes. That's about 6 city blocks, most uphill. I was pleased with myself and my new knees. Today I spent most of the day out in the sun with my Spectrum group, dyeing our Shibori stitched pieces in two different types of indigo vats. Hang in there - with patience, you'll be able to do more of the things that are "calling" you. I haven't touched either loom in the past week - hopefully on the weekend. Did you get your silk warp on the loom?
 
@Threads so glad to hear you are getting around so well. I have not gotten to the silk warp yet, I have been concentrating on getting our guild samples off my baby wolf and had to make another warp for that project. Did some heming of my towels from the workshop and hemmed the mug rugs. Two members are coming tomorrow to weave on the samples and I hope to work on my silk warp while they are here then Sunday I plan on working on my rep warp.

Today was not a good day for my knee, even the other one which will be two years old in just a couple of weeks was hurting today. We had 80 degree weather with high humidity today so wonder if that played a factor with the pain.
 
I have been doing so much better the last few days. I went on my first shopping trip yesterday and I did really well. I was able to walk the mall, and then spend time at the fabric shop. My knee was happy and my leg felt pretty strong. The pain I was experiencing a few weeks ago has almost totally disappeared. I still cannot stand in one place for very long but really hoping that with time this will happen. I do see the foot and ankle specialist on Thursday, hopefully he can take care of the pain in my ankle and I will be able to walk even better than I am now. Knocking on wood as my hip is getting along just fine these past few days. I am even getting back to doing all the things I enjoy so much.
 
@fiberlady - it's so good to hear that your knee and hip are happier! Finally you are getting a break from the tedium you've been going through. Enjoy your new "freedom" but take it easy so you don't do "one step back".

Spokane - June = Black Sheep Gathering. Are you going to be there when that is on? I thought of persuading Doug that we should go this year but instead we are going to head to an area that we missed on our cross country trip before my knees got really bad. Doug also wants to tick off some inland ferries on his list of BC ferries travelled.

Let us know what the foot ankle specialist has to say after your appointment on Thursday.
 
I'm sorry you have been in pain. These knees in recovery have a mind of there own. We did but Listen to them before they got bad. So know they don't Listen to us. They said haha. U will Listen to me or I will ache. Just be easy to them. Baby them and yal will get along. I tell you it's a big roller coaster. Glad u are doing better. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hopefully this will be the last of my aches and pains. My knee continues to get better and I am now able to stand for longer periods of time. Stood for almost 20 minutes making dinner tonight and didn't even give it a thought.

Went to the Foot and Ankle doctor today, he gave me an injection in the ankle, said that was about all they could do and gave me some exercises to do. I have to go back in two weeks for shot number two. Hopefully this will help for awhile so I can get my daily walks in and be strong so I can attend a two day dyeing class (for the non fiber people, that is dyeing yarn). My arthritic joints are certainly a pain, no pun intended. I am just glad I can be some what pain free for awhile.
 
@Threads Darn, we won't be leaving Michigan until the 25th of June and won't be in Spokane until the 4th of July. That actually might be a good thing, my stash of fiber I think has cloned itself. My poor wheel has been sitting collecting dust these past few weeks. I need to get back to it. Hope you are continuing to do well. How is the weaving?
 
@fiberlady - glad you got some help with your ankle and you will be able to get more. Also good news that you were able to stand to make dinner without thinking about your joints :yes!:

Too bad you'll miss the Black Sheep Gathering - we used to go when I only had one fibre hobby to feed - spinning - and enjoyed it then. What kind of a dye workshop are you taking? Chemical or natural dyes??? I just finished re-threading my David loom and tying on the table loom ready for another scarf (#3). I've been fixing a mistake in my knitting this week - it was a big one in a complicated area of the shawl I'm knitting. Today we spent the day with our cameras at our favourite garden. It's the 6th anniversary of my Mom's death (she was 100) and I like to visit her memorial tree, which is blooming right now.

Tomorrow we'll spend the day at the twins Sports Day at school and this weekend is our oldest granddaughter's 16th birthday! I don't know where the time is going!!!
 
It certainly took some time to get where I m now, a lot longer than I had expected. I was able to spend almost an hour today at the loom and even ran an errand which required I walk a bit. Making dinner again was no longer a chore.

@Threads I am taking a two day warp dyeing workshop (chemical) with Kathrin Weber of Blazing Shuttles. Her sense of color and dyeing techniques are extraordinary. She has a huge following on facebook, and her dye class filled up two hours after registration opened up. You can purchase warps that she has dyed on her website. What she does is amazing. She also teaches a unique way of designing at the front of the loom.
 
WOW. - @fiberlady, how I wish I could join you at that workshop! It looks like you'll have an absolutely wonderful time. I can't wait to see photos of your warp and then the final product after it comes off the loom.

I have Janet Phillips book and she dyes her silk warps using an eaves trough. I thought that might be a good thing to try because I don't have any grass area and I don't want to spill dyes on our pavers.

Just a little word of warning - don't stand all day, take time to sit when you can. I felt it after spending the day playing with 2 indigo vats and still feel the results of the grandchildren's Sports' Day on Friday. Almost four hours following them around from one challenge to another was hard on my body. I'm doing incredibly well but "I'm not there yet" :yes:

It sounds like you have turned a corner - :egypdance:.
 
@Threads I am super excited about the workshop and have 3 friends that I am going with that have already said they would help me out if I needed help. We will be doing these on tables so that is a plus.

I really do think I have turned a corner and am so happy. It took almost five months to get here. We went to Ikea today and oh my goodness, it was crowded. I did bring my cane and was glad I did, but was able to walk around with little effort. I did go sit down though when we had to check out the lines were very long.
 
Had a very busy day trying to get many things done and boy did my knee scream. Sometimes we learn the hard way that we still cannot do everything we need to do in one day. I need to remember to pace myself.
 
Sorry to hear that you overdid it! It does happen to all of us and it's a reminder that we are still healing. I did the same thing on Thursday and Friday - back to back over doing it, and as I said above I was still feeling it. Today I'm aware that yesterday's excursion (downtown on transit) with a heavy backpack and then walking to and from a friend's apartment, was probably a bit much. And that's at six months! So, be kind to yourself when you can, so you will enjoy the dye workshop. I'm soooo jealous ;-)
 
Boy can I feel the effects of overdoing it on Monday and then the rest of this week has been busy and have not had a chance to rest. So I cancelled all my appointments for tomorrow and will just rest.
I guess when the knee speaks you better listen.

@Threads I went out to Heritage Spinning and Weaving today and talked to Joan Sheridan. I told her yu and Jane said hi. She said she will be coming out there this fall. I bought some lovely bamboo/cotton from the shop, will wind it into a warp on Saturday as the guild weavers will be at my house to weave again and I will sit and make a warp while they are weaving. I bought some lovely alpaca yarn to make a scarf so I think tomorrow will be a good day to sit and start that. Hope you are mending from your two days of over doing it. It amazes me how good my right knee is doing. It will be two years old on Saturday and it is a very happy knee. It will be nice to have two happy knees and two happy hips. It will all come together one day.
 
Sounds like you had a fun day! Are you knitting or weaving your scarf? I just got back from our Guild social. That will be my last meeting this year as we are headed on a road trip in early June.

Happy birthday to your oldest knee! Yes, you will be a new person someday - watch out world, here comes Cindy! I've got too many projects on the go at the moment - I need to concentrate on one and get it done! This Sunday is the MS Walk and our DIL has MS. I've only been able to walk the short walk in the past but this year I plan to walk the 5 km. I've done it once since surgery, so shouldn't be a problem this time.

Have a fun Saturday!
 
@fiberlady, hope you've had a fun day! I just happened on a thread where you had popped in and mentioned you have RLS. I may have mentioned this to you before, but that's something I've dealt with for years. I take meds before I go to bed but during the day I use a homeopathic remedy which has really helped me. You know the times when you are in a concert or some function when all of a sudden you get a restless leg happening? I always sit on an aisle so I can move my legs while I'm waiting for Hyland's Restful Legs give me some relief. Actually, Jane is the person who told me about this stuff and it works for me. I'm always have some with me. You can get it in some health food stores and it's not a prescription. I found that during recovery, the pain killers I was on didn't touch RLS or nerve pain. Anyway, for what it's worth, here's a link to the product:

https://hylands.com/products/hylands-restful-legs
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom