Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

Sorry to hear that you are in pain - however, the memories of your trip will remain, and you'll forget the pain of your knee and hip. Hopefully you are elevating and icing in the back seat while I'm writing this!!! Are you on your way home now?

I tried to change my tie-ups yesterday and couldn't do it on my knees, got a garden bench that has a kneeling height on it if you flip it, so I sat on that and got totally stuck down near the floor. I had to get DH to clear the area around where I was stuck So I could get in the "downward dog" position to get myself to standing. We solved it by tipping the loom over so it rested on the cloth beam, and I could change my tie-ups. Works perfectly as long as DH is around! Maybe the visuals will make you smile and forget about the pain for a second or two.
 
@Threads yes we are on our way home, it was raining this morning so we could not get organized so no sitting in the backseat. I have been taking Motrin for the pain and it seems to help. I hope we can get the back organized tomorrow as we have about a seven hour drive. We have enjoyed the scenery,we don't have mountains in Michigan.

I had to chuckle about your predicament. I have been in that many times. I recently learned to lean the baby wolf against something and it is easier to do the tie ups. I don't know how I will manage my leclerc. We will see when I get back as I plan on putting a warp for baby blankets when I get home.

Hope your knees are behaving
 
I knew you would understand and chuckle at my predicament! Hope you are comfortable on your long drive today and are stretched out in the back seat with your legs up. Thinking about you!
 
Well we made it back and my knee is stiff and hurts to bend it. I cannot wait for my appointment on the 28th of July to see what my OS says. My hip is getting worse and I think I will be heading for replacement surgery before I know it.

@Threads how is the weaving coming along? I just signed up for a Diane Totten crimp weave class in September with the Sarnia guild. Looking forward to that. Going to finish threading my loom for a rep weave project now that I have all my other commitments finished so now I can weave for me.
 
Sorry to hear your knee and hip aren't happy :sad:. Bring on the 28th and get some answers! They are probably each stressing the other as you try to favour the one that is "speaking" the loudest at the moment.

I haven't put the warp on yet, we've had company for the last 3 days. Hopefully there will be some progress tomorrow. How exciting to take a Dianne Totten workshop! I love crimp weave and have done some woven shibori. I've got a cone of wool wrapped steel in my stash that keeps calling to me, but I haven't answered it yet ;-) And, I have to get back to the 15 yd. Foxfibre warp on my table loom - for some reason it's not weaving itself off!

Good to know you are home safely and I'm sure you've got some fabulous memories of the trip.
 
I have been trying every day to do stretches, I got a little lazy on vacation. It is still stiff and I find that when trying to get in the car after going to the store I can barely bend the knee. Standing in line at the check outs seems to be a killer for me. Next week Tuesday I see the OS and I cannot wait. If they cancel this appointment I might scream. We went out to dinner last night and sitting for an hour was treacherous.
 
fiberlady,
Sorry to hear you knee is still acting up, don't forget you are only 8 months out from recovery, it can take up to a year or more to completely heal.
I assume you are still Resting, Icing, Elevating, and Medicating if indicated?
I am going to tag @Josephine to comment on your continuing pain and stiffness.
Hope your OS appointment goes well,
 
I am still resting, icing and elevating and take tylenol or motrin whatever I have on hand when it gets painful. Just concerned mostly about the pain when I get up and step down, once I get walking then it is okay. Hopefully my OS will set my mind at ease.
 
@fiberlady - hopefully you'll get your answers next Tuesday. However, I still am very aware of my knees when I go from sitting to standing, especially from a lower than normal height. Also, I can easily slip into the bad habit of taking one step at a time on the stairs. I can do the stairs normally but I have to think about it and it's still not discomfort free. Walking now is a breeze and I "almost" ran to catch a bus yesterday. You sound like you are fine for just plain walking - would getting out for walks help with loosening up your knee? Now - I must practise what I preach!

How's the weaving going. I have the turned twill scarf on the David and am testing wefts.
 
Fiberlady,
You are still in the middle of this yearlong or more recovery, we all heal at different rates, give it time.
You are doing all the right things with resting, icing, elevating, and medicating. It is just hard to be a turtle when you see others heal "quicker".
 
@Threads you are so right on. Yesterday I had to walk from my husbands office to the parking structure and back. It is a distance. Not overwhelming mind you but it is a little hike. I did it without using my cane, I said I am going to do this. It really seemed better today since I did that. I just came in from doing some yard work, being gone for three weeks has certainly left the yard in an overgrown mess. So I worked on it for an hour. That bending over and stretching the leg helps alot also. I have been able to go up stairs normal with no problem, it is walking down that I still do one at a time. Still afraid of falling.
So my quest is to get out and get some walking in everyday now, without the cane. I think I am too dependent on it. My better half is constantly making me take it with me, he thinks I need it. I will see what the OS says. Today it feels pretty darn good. So we will keep our fingers crossed.

Weaving is at a stand still right now as I try to catch up from everything that was left unattended while we were gone. If I can get up enough energy this afternoon I may go back to putting on my dummy warp on the rug loom. I so want to get my rep on the loom, I am going to design from the front.
 
@Pumpkln It is very hard to adjust to this knee when the first one went pretty good. I have a feeling that the OS is going to tell me the same thing. "Patience grasshopper" I will try I promise.
 
I hate to ask this, but are you still doing any exercises?
 
Well tomorrow I finally get my six month appointment. I have been trying to walk more and not use my cane. My leg gets tired but I am doing a little better. Will give a full report when I get back
 
Cindy,
Hope your appointment goes well. Six months is only halfway through this recovery.
 
I've been thinking about you particularly today, and knew you had your appointment tomorrow. It sounds like you are doing a bit better now that you can move regularly. I look forward to hearing what OS has to say tomorrow. You'll be on my mind!
 
Well, I finally had my six month check up a month late. I am at the seven month mark tomorrow. Wow, can't believe it has already been seven months. Well, the x-rays look okay, he says it is still warm to the touch and is still healing (I know that is what all of you have been telling me). He wants to see me again in 4 weeks, if the pain persists then he will give me a cortisone injection. He thinks waiting another few weeks I will see a vast improvement. I hope he is right. Well at least I know that nothing is wrong. I have been pushing myself this past week to walk more and I do find it gets pretty stiff if I stand in one place for any length of time.

My hip is failing and I can either have another shot or have it replaced. I need to make my decision by the time I return to is office. Hubby thinks I should have it replaced. Well, I guess it probably is the smart thing to do instead of waiting for it to get worse like I did the last one.

So I am to continue what I am doing and we will see where we are at in four weeks.

I must practice patience. I must practice patience. I must.........
 
Glad you had a good report that everything looks good. I don't know your whole circumstance with your hip, but tend to agree with your Husband, go ahead, you will have to do it sooner or later.
 
@fiberlady - good to hear you had a good talk with your OS. I don't think you have a choice about getting your second hip done, probably the sooner the better. Your whole body, including your gate, won't really fall into place until you are a total bionic woman! It must seem unreal to have to go through it all again, but you've been through so much already and your left knee has probably not been happy because you can't help favouring your left hip. I know it's none of my business but it just makes sense to me to get everything fixed and get on with your life! You're still a youngster and have a lot of good weaving and spinning years ahead of you.

You've got a month to think about it - let us know what you decide.

I'm heading to the beach tomorrow! Hooray - I've been waiting to have a good walk on the beach for a couple of years now.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom