Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

Since Sunday the pain levels have gotten to about a 4. Tonight it has gotten to about a 5
That's high for 16 weeks.
I only take pain meds when needed. If it gets bad I take the norco (hydrocodone) or I take excedrin, as I cannot take tylenol.
So how many times a day is that? Can you tell the times you take a pill, what it is and how many (1 or 2).

If your pain is that bad, you 'need' them all the time, enough to get your pain levels down to a tolerable level. Pain causes swelling - swelling causes pain - an so on.

As for not being able to take Tylenol, I suspect you have never read the leaflet in with the excedrin tablets as it contains 'acetaminophen (Tylenol) 250mg, aspirin 250mg and caffeine 65mg'. Why can you not take Tylenol?
I have been icing about forty minutes once a day
Once a day? That's pretty pointless. You need to ice more than that. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day. But the key question is, does icing help?
I elevate all day off and on, up to an hour or more at a time
'all day off and on, an hour or more at a time' doesn't tell me much. Can you be more specific please? Is that 4, 6 times a day for an hour or two for instance?

Where are you most swollen? Foot, ankle, calf, knee, thigh?
Have you discussed this with your doctor (surgeon or GP). It's beginning to sound like you could use some compression stockings.
No shopping, minimal housework, cook simple dinners,
okay
None. I do do some heel slides either first thing in the morning or when I go to bed. Maybe about five or six. I do walk around the house and work on hobbies which require me to stand for a bit, or to use my legs while in a sitting position.
okay but does it ever hurt when you do heel slides? Read this Heel slides and how to do them.
I keep thinking I need to do more, I feel like I have gotten lazy and the knee wants to do more and that is why it is stiff and swollen. I am really bad as I keep comparing it to the last knee. I was already just getting on with life, I just keep saying my knee hates me.
Well, negative thoughts are never very helpful! But tis true you do need to be reasonably active. I suggest you plan some walks outside. You're 16 weeks now and should be getting out and about more. Perhaps take two 10 minute walks down the road and back each day to start with and see if it helps any.

I'd also like to ask you to tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Finally!!! The second new knee!


[Bonesmart.org] Finally!!! The second new knee!
 
The pain is at LF4. D and E
For some reason the tylenol upsets my stomach. I have been taking the excedrin 2 tablets once a day. It is actually what I had in the cupboard so was using that. I did tell the OS about the pain and they gave me a topical cream. Which I used for a bit but I didn't notice a change in the level of the pain.

I sit and elevate at least three times a day for at least an hour. When I do the heelslides, my knee feels very stiff, and sometimes there is some pain but not all the time. Icing doesn't actually help with the pain but does reduce the swelling. The selling is in the same spot that that pain is in.

I do have compression stockings and will be willing to give that a try. I am due to see my GP so will mention to him the pain.

I hope I answered the questions. I do get around pretty much all day, I just don't do any of the prescribed exercises that the PT told me to keep doing.
 
So your pain is about here?

[Bonesmart.org] Finally!!! The second new knee!


This spot very closely tracks the lower end of the ilio-tibial band which is often irritated by exercises but since you say you're not doing any, I am a tad stumped! You might use some Acupressure massage. It might help.
they gave me a topical cream. Which I used for a bit but I didn't notice a change in the level of the pain.
And you won't! Recent studies have shown that these topical creams, such as Volterol gel, Ibuleve gel, Deep Heat and Biofreze, despite their advertising, actually don't penetrate beyond the skin!
 
Having pain in the usual spot today this evening, I haven't done much but play with or granddaughter and then took a nap. Been sitting here most of the day with my legs up working on some crocheting and cruising the internet. I am going to dig out the compression stockings and wear them tomorrow and try some of the massage hoping this will help. The knee didn't feel as stiff today I guess that is a plus.
 
Slept with the compression sock last night and wearing it all day today. No pain and no stiffness. This might be the answer I needed. I am hoping this will do it. I ordered the little massage thing from Amazon and it should be here on Wednesday I have been trying the knuckle method for right now but with my arthritic hands I think it hurts my hands more than doing any good for my knee. I am crossing my fingers and hoping the compression sock is the answer to all my problems.
 
@fiberlady - that's great news! Fingers crossed you have found the answer.

I'm not getting any email alerts any more - don't know why. I have to make a point of going on the site and checking. I'm glad I did because it sounds like you had a good night and day.
 
Well my full second day without the pain I was experiencing, nor do I have the stiffness and swelling. The compression stocking is really making a difference. :happydance::dancy::egypdance::ok: Fingers are crossed that it will continue this way.

@Threads I am warped and ready for the workshop. Not a very interesting warp, just plain white cotton. If I find the time tomorrow I want to spend some time weaving on my dobby loom, I have not touched it in weeks. How is your weaving coming along?
 
I started wearing compression stockings as soon as I could get them off and on myself. My OS did not require them after I left the hospital. I did not wear them because of pain, specifically, but because of swelling in my lower legs and feet. They worked like a charm! I'm glad they are working for you too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so happy to hear you have found a solution for your knee and long may it last!

I'm glad you are having more weaving luck than I am! I got to the point where I started to weave my little sample, late last night, and things just didn’t look right. Today I figured out why :-(

I had been putting in the draft in iWeaveIt on my iPad and you can’t see the whole threading sequence while you are doing it. I had added an extra repeat on one side of the sample and didn’t notice it even after I had moved the draft to Fiberworks and printed it out!!! So, I threaded it that way. I’ve been out all day today so haven’t re-threaded it, I’m running out of time. Grrrrr.

I had a massage yesterday and will have another tomorrow, trying to get rid of the headache I've had for over a week. At least my knees are feeling fine, but they don't seem to like sitting at the loom for lengths of time.
 
I have been wearing these compression stockings for a few days and last night my leg was getting so hot that I took it off. This morning I had pain and my leg felt sore. The pain wasn't bad more of an ache than anything else. So it seems that the stockings are making a difference, but, how long should this go on before it gets to be normal and I don't have to wear the stocking? Am wondering if I should make an appointment with my OS to discuss this problem? Or am I just over thinking this and it will just get better with time.

@Threads If it wasn't for the wonderful end product with weaving I think I would stop doing it. But it keeps drawing me back in. The looms tend to call out that they want to feel the threads and my hands want to hold the shuttle and make beautiful fabric. So I guess it is worth the frustration. I have been putting mine in fiberworks first and then into iweaveit and then use iweaveit to help thread the loom and sometimes to do the treadling. Sure hope your headache goes away. When I was working I used to get severe tension headaches that would last for over two weeks. I had special meds for them but would have to take a day off from work in order to take them as they would knock me out. I have not had one tension headache since I retired. Hope yours goes away.
 
That's good about the stocking. I find them very comforting too.
I have been trying the knuckle method for right now but with my arthritic hands I think it hurts my hands more than doing any good for my knee
I know exactly what you mean! Invariably I can't even reach the spot that hurts much less apply the necessary pressure. That's why I see my chiropractor as he can do it so much more effectively than I can!
I ordered the little massage thing from Amazon
Oh what little thing? Do tell - I might get one myself.
 
Oh that! I have one but invariably can't reach the spot and when/if I do, due to crappy shoulders I can't apply enough pressure so off I go to Dr Gregg, my healing angel!
 
My knee seems to be behaving. I just spent a strenuous weekend taking care of 12 peoples needs for a workshop. On saturday my knee and leg were sore and I was tired. On Sunday I put the compression stocking on and it made a world of difference at the end of the day. Today I spent sometime elevating and icing, then some massage. By the end of the day it was feeling pretty good. Maybe this means I am turning a corner with this knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do have to say that my knee is doing much better the last few days I have seen a big change. My leg was feeling a little weak today so I put on the compression stocking and already I can feel how good my knee and leg feel. I actually feel like being more active. Planning on going to the park this afternoon to take a walk. I need to get in more walks and now that the weather is cooperating it should be easier.

@Threads I cannot thank you enough for the help you have given me both with my knee and with weaving. I am totally enjoying my new loom and figure that this loom will be with me for many years as it will probably end up being my go to loom when I no longer can handle the bigger looms. I am off today to tackle the rug loom, going to put a rep weave warp to make tote bags and only have three more samples to weave off the Jane and then hope to get the silk scarf warp on it that I have had for many years. Hope your weaving has become less frustrating and that your headache has subsided.
 
I'm so glad to hear that your knee is happier, @fiberlady! I haven't heard a word about your hip in the last week or do, so it seems to be behaving itself. Who knew that compression stockings could make such a difference!

I switched to my Louet David when I couldn't get down on the floor for the tie-ups on my Leclerc 45” Colonial, and I've never been sorry. I haven't really missed the extra 10" in width and if I want wide - there is always Double Weave. I like the clean, efficient and quiet operation of Louet looms. I'm happy the Jane is turning out to be the right workshop loom for you! I finished a second natural cotton scarf on the loooong warp on my table loom. I have a home for it to go to where it will be loved. I know I can one more off the warp for me and possibly a fourth - maybe not quite as long because I keep cutting them off! I haven't revisited my sample warp on the David. It seemed counter productive to deal with retreading that warp when I was paying for massages to get rid of my tension headaches!!!

Is one of the rep weave tote bags for your Jane or are you sticking to outside "table cloth" type material?

I got the "all clear and see you in a year" from my OS yesterday, so all is well in that department. I'll post a 6 month report on my thread on May 12th so I can remember my personal journey.
 
Got my walk in today and hope that I can get another one in tomorrow. I know on Saturday we are planning on taking our first hike, not very far, we go maybe a mile, not sure how long it will take me but I am up to the challenge.

@Threads Oh, I am sorry to say that the hip is not in the behaving category. I made it to the two month mark with the injection and that is about all I guess I am going to get. The pain last night was intense and I had a bit of pain after my walk. I go to my GP on Friday and on the 16th of June for the OS. I will discuss my hip with him then and see what he thinks, if I could hold off until the fall. The last time I held off if just got so bad I couldn't walk, so we shall see. The rep bags will be small little tote bags, I am not up to making something that big for the loom yet. So for now it will just be the vinyl one.
 
Not sure if the rainy weather had anything to do with the stiffness that I felt in my knee and leg today, but it felt very stiff and sore. I did some of the stretching exercises hoping that would help. I have been doing the heel slides and I really think my Rom has improved. The warm weather returns tomorrow so hope I can get my walk in.
 
If it isn't one thing it is another, it is tuff having bad bones. Went to my GP today, wanted to make sure that the swelling in my leg was just a product of the knee replacement and nothing else. He reassured me it could take up to a year for everything to settle down. However, my ankle has been bothering me something awful. I have fluid on the ankle and arthritis, so now I am looking at an injection in the ankle a brace and some exercises. The knee was hurting a bit today, I was busy trying to get some house cleaning done, I am certain I just over did it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom