THR Finally On The Recovery Side

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
You seem to be forging your own path through common sense, understanding what’s working for you and what’s not. I hope you have a nice weekend, Mersada.

Are you getting cabin fever at all? I did around the two week point and had to get outside a bit. Do you have a balcony or patio at your apartment you can sit out on if you want some fresh air, or is it a trek to get outdoors?

Happy Friday!
@Mersada
 
Mainly I am focusing on walking again without assistance and without a limp. It is very important to me to get back to the routine I had before I got sick with the staph infection in November. I love to work out and I am very active. These last 6 months have been very hard on me and my family. My husband has been taking care of me and he has done a great job, but it takes a toll. I am a fighter and I have been fighting to get well. I overcame the blood infection and only had the hip to still deal with. I am so grateful to my surgeon, who I feel has given me my life back. It brings me to tears.
 
Hi @Layla I’m ok still being home. I can’t believe it’s been 2 weeks already. No balcony here. I would have to trek down the hall in the elevator and another hall to go out. I’m tired just to think about it.
Older sis came by with food and coffee and cleaned up a bit. I am thinking of rewarding her with a nice spa day at an upscale salon around here. We will see. She just does without asking. I don’t think I can ever repay.
The nurse wanted a pic of my scar so my sis just took it. It sure is ugly. [Bonesmart.org] Finally On The Recovery Side
 
@Dmcfad2 The ability to walk without a limp is what I am shooting for as well however I really still need the walker big time. You are lucky to have support of your husband. That makes a big difference. Hope to read more positive recovery news from you. It’s inspiring.
 
@Mersada - Most likely next year at this time you'll look at it and find it's barely noticeable. Actually I think it looks pretty good - does not appear there is any redness or oozing around it. Hope the nurse agrees!
 
@Mersada - Most likely next year at this time you'll look at it and find it's barely noticeable. Actually I think it looks pretty good - does not appear there is any redness or oozing around it. Hope the nurse agrees!

She didn't call yet, hope she agrees too. Its not itchy or painful so the fact that it's ugly I can live with. No choice lol.
 
Yes, that sounds like a bit too much of a trek for you to get some fresh air and sunshine at this point. Thankfully you’re not going stir crazy.

While I’m guessing your sis doesn’t expect anything in return for the care she’s provided, the gift you’re contemplating is so thoughtful, Mersada.

Scars are not attractive, but it’s pretty much at its worst right now and will eventually fade to a thin white line.

I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Mersada
 
@Layla
Thank you for always pointing out the bright side. Hopefully the scar does lighten up. What are we on day 15? Things are slightly less painful when getting up. My leg is still heavy. Just doing the bed exercises mostly.
My inner thigh is still tight.

Tomorrow morning I have virtual PT. My little.sister will.be here to hold the cam up while my PT watches how I get into bed. She requested that I have someone even tho I told her I sleep on the recliner. Will see.

Taking my pain meds on time has made a difference.
 
Love hearing about the support you're getting from your sisters.
 
You’re welcome, Mersada. :)
It‘s easy to lose sight of the improvements you’re making when one day rolls into another in early in recovery without much change, or so it seems. You forget what day it is! I made it a point to reflect on my progress once a week only, on the same day. I chose a weekend day and each weekend on that day, I’d think back to what I was now doing with more ease than the previous weekend.

Your incision scar will lighten up, Mersada. Once the skin discoloration (bruising) fades, along with the scabbing and the residue from any remaining wound covering it will look even better in appearance. Then the fading from red to white slowly happens.

The tightness is swelling. The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since you’re less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice.

You know the drill, ice and elevate, as boring as it becomes, it will help. :ice:

I hope you have a nice visit with your sister tomorrow and a good virtual PT session.
Sleep well tonight! :sleep:
@Mersada
 
Day 16? Losing track. Lol
I had my PT virtual session with my sister and eldest niece here. They were able ho hold up the cam so the PT could see me get in and out of bed. She thought I did fine. She wants me to change positions from the recliner to other chairs. I guess I could every so often.

She want me to do some side kicks added to my other bed exercises. I seem to be able to do those. The glute pain is less sharp when I get up. Progress I think.

@Layla I am still icing. Probably not elevating enough though.

I feel the improvements though. Getting there slowly.
 
She wants me to change positions from the recliner to other chairs. I guess I could every so often.
You could try that for short periods of time @Mersada, but if your recliner is your comfort spot there's no reason not to be in it. You are early in recovery with a complicating issue, you need to take it slow and easy. When you are resting comfortably your body can concentrate on healing.
 
Day 17 -- woke up a bit swollen and stiff today. I am guessing the new side kick exercises are to blame for that. I didn't sleep with a pillow under my operated leg. It made a difference. Woke a little more stiff.

My older sis came by with lunch, cleaned up a bit and took my laundry with her. For mother's day I ordered her a certificate to a luxurious spa day at a top spa in my area. She is the type that won't do that for herself but bends over backwards for everyone else. I hope she enjoys that. Its the least I can do.

For myself I booked a new years cruise from Orlando to some Mexican ports. A couple of my friends are going and I thought it would be something I can look forward to healing for. I am hoping by new years I will be able to walk well. Fingers crossed.

Now hope I can lose the arthritis weight from being stagnant for so long.
 
Happy day 17. Sounds like you are doing great. I’m feeling down today. I don’t know why. My recovery is going well. Must be the post op blues I’ve heard about. I hope they go away soon.
 
Happy day 17. Sounds like you are doing great. I’m feeling down today. I don’t know why. My recovery is going well. Must be the post op blues I’ve heard about. I hope they go away soon.
Sorry to hear you have the blues but at least you are aware it's temporary .
I am doing ok but still on a walker. Tired most of the time.

Trying to plan for the after recovery life. I need something positive to look forward to.

I just hope I get strong enough to ditch the walker.

Xoxo. Hope you feel better soon!!
 
For mother's day I ordered her a certificate to a luxurious spa day at a top spa in my area. She is the type that won't do that for herself but bends over backwards for everyone else. I hope she enjoys that. Its the least I can do.

How thoughtful of you! I’m sure your sister will love and appreciate every minute of the relaxation she’ll experience through your generosity. It’s wonderful you’re concentrating on planning a vacation. I’m sure you’ll be ready by then and fully enjoy your getaway without the pain of a deteriorating hip. Sounds exciting, Mersada. Happy Tuesday! :)
 
Happy Tuesday @Layla ,
Happy day 18, its becoming less and less stiff. Today was an all day nap day. Felt a bit on the tired side. Just got a gel pack to sit on, although the swelling doesn't seem so bad. How long do you ice for? A month or two?

Hope every one is doing well this week.
 
Hi Mersada,
I’d suggest you ice as long as you’re dealing with pain and inflammation, which as you know can vary from person to person. Sleeping often today was a good thing! There is a lot of healing going on beneath the surface and our body does its best recovery work while we’re asleep. Encouraging news that your swelling seems less obvious today. Slowly but surely you’ll get there. Steady progress is the way to go.
I hope you have a good evening! :)
@Mersada
 
Back
Top Bottom