THR Finally On The Recovery Side

Hi @Mersada
Just catching up as life has had me busy.
Glad to see you are doing well in recovery but sad to read you had to deal with the loss of your dear furbaby. :console2:
My little dog, the real Mojo, is nearing 17 years old and is getting feeble and I know he will not be with me much longer...it makes me sad to think about.
He's had such a good happy life though, and I don't want him suffering either.
Big hugs for your loss.

Hope the doctor gives you the go ahead for weight bearing and things continue to get better and better.
 
Aww, your precious little Yoshie girl, so cute. You gave her a good life and lots of loving care right up until the end, Mersada. I hope the pain of her loss eases soon and the special memories make you smile.
Wishing you a good day!
@Mersada
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Mersada!
I hope things are going well with your recovery and your days are feeling a little brighter.
Sending a hug and best wishes for a good week. :SUNsmile:
@Mersada
 
Hi @Layla , thank you!!
I'm doing ok. Still on the walker because that crack in my hip. Waiting till next week to see what my os says about weight bearing. My operated leg used to be shorter, now it feels slightly longer for some reason. I think I read on the forums that this can be normal ?? I still have stiffness and tightness but considering he cut a tendon this too is possibly normal.

I slept on my side and on my futon for the passed two days. It felt like a nice change of pace from sleeping on the recliner. Sleeping on my side made me a little nervous. I was worried I might cross my legs or something but I do have that knee pillow I use. Two more weeks before I can forget precautions. I can't wait. I just hope my leg starts feeling normal soon. Right now the operated leg leans in toward my right leg. I am guessing because of the tendon he cut, I don't know. I hope the crack in my hip is healing. My sister, the PT, said it can take 6weeks. We are almost there. Can't wait to get rid of the Walker.

Hope you all have a great week!
 
You’re welcome, Mersada.
I‘m happy to read you’re doing okay.

My operated leg used to be shorter, now it feels slightly longer for some reason. I think I read on the forums that this can be normal?

Yes, I’m sure you have read this many times before. It’s a common complaint and hopefully this article helps explain -

I‘m sure the crack is healing and I’m excited for you to meet with your surgeon next week.
Hopefully you’ll be ready for next steps in more ways than one. Weight bearing and the ability to get outside in the world for a bit. Maybe a lunch out with your sister, or a friend? After being cooped up you’ll probably experience sensory overload with the sights and sounds of nature, the feeling of sunshine on your face and a breeze in the air. :heehee:
Once you’re able to engage again more freely I think you’ll also feel your recovery take off.
Nine more days...right? :happydance:

Hope today is a good one. :)
 
I had my follow up with my OS. These are the progress notes:

Progress Notes

Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle, MD at 5/27/2021 3:15 PM
The patient is 6 weeks status post complex primary left total hip replacement with adductor tenotomy. The patient is pleased with the results of surgery with some residual discomfort in the hip area. The incision is nicely healed and the details of physical examination are recorded. X-rays reveal an intact reconstruction. Hip replacement precautions and instructions were discussed verbally and given in writing. I would like to see the patient for follow up 1 year after surgery with x-rays.

Medications prescribed today: None

Physical therapy prescribed today: Yes

Alejandro González Della Valle, M.D.

What kind of sucks is that there are precautions for life. He told me to use golfer's reach from now on and when trying to reach for my left foot I have to turn the left knee outward to reach the foot, which seem kind of hard to do right now. I hope it gets easier.

Right now the hip is a bit tight and the leg feels a bit longer. He told me that would get better with some time. We shall see.

Also, besides tell me I didn't need a walker anymore, he didn't tell me to use a cane, either. This surprised me.
 
So sounds like good news overall ... sounds like you have some questions though.
 
Sounds great @Mersada other than the precautions for life. To tell you the truth, after the story someone told of a late dislocation shaving her operated leg, I'm probably going to be pretty paranoid whatever my OS says! My leg feels longer too and actually looks longer when I check in the mirror. RIght now I am nervous because part of my incision is reddish--not spreading, or swollen or hot but still making me nervous. Will ask at my 6 week exam next Thursday. Here's to getting this behind us!
 
The os didn't mention any precautions about steps. Today I had two steps outside of my condo. I used my operated leg to go up holding on the rail and my hip gave out on me. I swore I dislocated and caught myself on the rail before I wiped out. It was a pretty scary thing.

I called the doctors office and the nurse reassured me of I dislocated, I would be in bad pain. I spoke to my sister who is a PT and she told me my muscles probably gave out. I was going to go get a much needed pedicure but the incident scared the **** out of me that I went home.

I didn't even think about leg shaving. How the neck are you supposed to do it??

I am disappointed with the precautions but it is what it is.

@DancerHips good luck with your six week visit. Write any questions you have down so you don't forget.

I start out patient PT Tuesday....after today's fiasco I definitely need it.
 
Last edited:
Mersada,

Sorry to hear about your scare.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but you lead with the "good" leg (the one not operated on) when going up steps.

You use the good leg and its strength to pull up the weaker leg. You keep the burden on the weaker leg as low as possible.

The way you've written it, sounds like you led with your operated leg. If so, that's a no-no. Maybe you were just testing out the leg? In fact, I think it's more burden on the front leg because it is literally pulling up the other leg than it is to normally climb steps. The good leg essentially has to do double the work as it normally does when climbing foot-over-foot.

Hope you are feeling less pain this evening.
 
Last edited:
Yes @Going4fun I made the mistake of thinking I could use either leg to go up and down. Now I know better. Thank you for your input. The doctor didn’t mention steps.
 
Tell you the truth, I only really internalized this "good left go first" when climbing stairs because I had to repeatedly coach my parents going up the steps when they were ailing and weak in their last years.

Something about having to explain it to them and to think under pressure of the moment ... just locked this in my mind in way that it wouldn't have been had I only gotten directions from a PT.

Any way, just tell your hip you apologize. You meant no harm.
 
Great news on your first post op, Mersada! Don’t stress about lifelong precautions. I’m betting it will become second nature and if you ever accidentally break the safe guard, I’m sure you’ll be okay. It is an easy enough habit to develop and live with given all you’re gaining through the gift of this surgery. Just as you’ll adjust and become more comfortable with your new hip and the thought of it will leave the forefront of your mind, surely the habits you develop will also become natural for you.

A couple phrases I heard to help remember which leg to use when navigating stairs were as follows - "Up with the good, down with the bad" and my PT’s favorite was ”good goes to heaven (up) bad goes to hell (down). The second was my least favorite, but it was easy to remember and helped me form the habit.

I didn't even think about leg shaving. How the neck are you supposed to do it??
This is an option -
Giraffe Razor Extension Handle
Telescoping handle adds 15-20 inches in Length to a Razor Handle - Eliminates Bending at the Waist
Pivoting Head Rotates to a 30°, 45° or 90° angle - Maximizes Flexibility
Two Universal Razor Attachments, Small, and Large - Accommodates the Most Popular Men's and Women's Premium Disposable and Reusable Razors on the Market Today
No Slip Grip with Rubberized Finish - Perfect for Anyone who has Difficulty Grasping Objects
Quick Connect and Release Buttons - Ease of Use

giraffe shaver holder US.JPG
I’ve also read of less slick homemade versions using either a wooden paint stir stick, or a 12 inch ruler taped securely to a disposable razor.

I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!
 
Now that its summer.. ..can you sit on a low beach chair? How about sitting on the floor, is that complicated too? Where else are we limited?. Just curious about others experiences.

I go to my first PT in person appointment tomorrow.
 
@Mersada Did your surgeon give you any restrictions post op? If not, a lower chair or sitting on the floor should not be a problem. You might struggle getting up at first. But when you have done this a few times you will figure out what works for you.

Let us know how your PT goes.
 
Thank you @Jaycey , the only thing the surgeon told.!e not to do was lift the knee to the chest or bend over without lifting the operated leg up or cross legs.

I had my first PT session. It went pretty well. I did hamstring stretch with a belt, hip abduction ball squeeze, bridges, heel slides. He gave me a list of exercises to do at home. He told me to do heal to toe exercises too because he said my gait was off. He said not to walk too much yet till I get more strength and correct the gait, apparently I am still leaning too much on one side.

He didn't push me too hard. Well I guess I will see if I feel it tomorrow. I have PT three times a week....hopefully it helps.
 
Hi Mersada,
I learned here long ago that Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure in an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. They can cause tendonitis in quads, glutes and ham strings. Please be careful. I’d hate to see you sidelined after the six weeks of early recovery you just made it through. Here is some info that may interest you - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-post-op-therapy.37103/

I hope you have a good rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@Mersada
 
Back
Top Bottom