THR Finally On The Recovery Side

Its annoying because I can't just run out and get.my scripts filled I.have to annoy someone for.help picking them up.
 
I get that, but this early it's worth asking for help. You will have plenty of time to pay it back, or pay it forward. I think of that as the balance of life.
 
Mersada, I’m sure you’re family won’t mind. They seem to be very attentive to your needs and I’m gathering it’s been all voluntary on their part. You sound fiercely independent, but sometimes we need others and they may thoroughly enjoy doing whatever they’re able to help you. It’s difficult to see those we love in a vulnerable position and dependent upon others for support. Ask for what you need and you can always show your gratitude later through a Thank You gift, gift card, or meal out to show your appreciation.
I hope today is a good one!
@Mersada

PS When’s your first post op?
 
My first post op is May 27th. This swelling is sure something else. The Inside of my thigh is tight and painful when I walk. It’s like pulling the leg inward. I can hop step. My hands are starting to bruise from leaning into the walker. My knee is really swollen. Makes me procrastinate on getting up to get ice packs and something to eat to take m meds. They gave me anti inflammatory and aspirin to take on top of the pain meds. I have tingles in the foot as well when I get up is that normal? Today seems worse yet and it’s a week later go figure. Well let me get moving. As much as I just want to lay here.
 
Ok...You need to elevate for sure. If that means in bed, then I’d recommend you do it several times per day, for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice. Target 4x daily....at least.

As for your hands, you can purchase foam hand grips for walkers through Amazon, if that is a possibility for you. It could help relieve the pressure you’re directly putting on your hands.

The knee I’m sure is swollen due to the dislocation process. Mine didn’t really hurt or show bruising until 17 days post op. Ice your knee also. I’m sure the tingling has to due with nerves affected by all the inflammation. It’s normal to have ups and downs and you’ve been doing amazingly well so far, so please don’t be discouraged.

If you have a small cooler, you could use it to store extra ice packs bedside / chair side for convenience, but it is important you get up and move around a bit also.

I hope you feel better as the day progresses.:fingersx:
@Mersada


[Bonesmart.org] Finally On The Recovery Side
 
Its amazing. Just when you think you dodged a bullet, the pain hits you. Its still better than imagined but these little walks to the kitchen and bathroom are tiring. If he hadn't had to cut the tendon I wouldn't be that bad. The hip.is stiff but no real.pain.

I just had something to eat and took my bunch of pills they gave me to take. I'm officially out of oxy. The nurse emailed me that she was calling it in to the pharmacy.

On a good note my disability insurance I pay extra for at work was approved even though this is elective surgery. So this is additional pay on top of my time off. I'm gonna save it for a nice vacation after I heal. I have been doing some vacation searches to keep my eye on the prize and off the discomfort..
 
I have been doing some vacation searches to keep my eye on the prize and off the discomfort..

Atta Girl! That should help your mood as you’re dealing with this temporary discomfort.
I hope you get your refill soon.

Hey...you made it through your first week! I’ll bet you’re happier where you are now as opposed to where you were a week ago. Happy One Week Anniversary!
 
@Layla thank you!! Happy anniversary to me! First week conquered. This is such a tricky surgery. You think your doing great then boom.some kind of crazy new pain goes on. My sister is picking up another 7 days of oxy for.me in a little bit. I am.currently elevating. No cooler....no room.for.it either lol.
I wonder what week two will bring. I'm supposed to.remove my bandage today. I suppose I will have my sis remove my bandage. I feel.funny removing it so early. I have the sutures that dissolve.
 
I know what you mean about removing the bandage, I was leery of doing it, too, but it looked so good when I took the bandage off and it is healing nicely. Sorry to hear about the swelling you are dealing with. That happened to me when I had my left done, but I haven’t had to deal with it this time around,
 
@Dmcfad2 No swelling for you. You are lucky. It’s that muscle he cut in my inner thigh. It’s very uncomfortable and walking is supper slow. I can’t wait to get over this hump.
 
sis came by to give me my OxyContin they gave me 56 this time. I guess I was clear to the nurse they hadn’t given me enough to stay comfortable.
I forgot to have my sister remove my Bandage. Is that ok? I’m afraid to remove it myself. I have to read the wound care literature I don’t know where it is. This hospital gives so many things to read it’s overwhelming. Both electronic and hard copies.
 
@Mersada Yes it's fine that your sister didn't remove the bandage today - she could do it tomorrow Or you can do it yourself ... by this time most bandages are pretty loose and almost ready to fall off anyway. If you do it just pull gently .. if it seems to stick or hurts at all when you start just wait til sis can come by again to take a good look at it.

I'm glad they gave you a goodly supply of pain meds! That should last you long enough to not need any more :)
 
I tried to sleep on my bed with my leg elevated, it worked for half the night. I woke to my knee cap hurting me. I got off the bed and into the recliner, much better.

I just had my cup of yogurt and cocktail of pills they gave me to take each day. I am back on the recliner icing. It was a tad less stiff and painful walking to the kitchen this morning. Maybe getting better...hope so. Trying to get enough water in...hate having to get up for bathroom trips tho.

I just woke and am feeling sleepy again.
 
I just woke and am feeling sleepy again.
Perfect time for a nap! It pays to sleep whenever you can especially in early days of recovery @Mersada. Most of us couldn't sleep through the night so every extra minute you can get helps. It also gives your body a chance to just heal while doing nothing else.
 
I tried to sleep on my bed with my leg elevated, it worked for half the night.

I found it difficult to sleep like that for any length of time also. Try your best, it’s all you can do. Staying adequately hydrated is important and if it forces you to get up hourly, that’s not a bad thing. It is very easy to lay around when it takes the time and effort it does to do things during early recovery. I hope you enjoy some naps today if you’re feeling tired.:sleep:
 
Getting in adequate water has been a bit difficult. I'm trying though. My inner thigh is feeling a bit better thankfully. My knee is better, too. I'm icing. I'm going to try to elevate too. So much swelling.
 
Getting in adequate water has been a bit difficult. I'm trying though.

I found this online. Interesting, huh? It may serve as motivation to stay hydrated. :wink:

Stage 1: Inflammation
When tissues are injured, they are deprived of their normal flow of oxygen and nutrient-rich blood. This reduction of oxygen and nutrients leads to cell death. The body sends fluids to the area to clear out the dead cells to allow for new cell growth. Without the proper hydration levels, this change of fluids cannot happen.
Stage 2: Proliferation
Once the inflammation begins to subside, the dead cells have been removed and new vasculature will start to develop. The restoration of oxygen and nutrient flow to the damaged area allows for scar tissue to lie down. Without proper hydration levels, the oxygen and nutrient content needed to allow for normal scar tissue will not be available to your body.
Stage 3: Remodeling
Eventually, scar tissue will change over to collagen and start to arrange the tissue in an organized pattern to become part of the surrounding soft tissue fibers Again, proper hydration levels are essential to the proper collagen levels and the ability for the collagen to become flexible as opposed to stiff and restricted.

Glad to read your thigh is feeling a bit better. I do think the elevation will help with the swelling. I hope you have a good rest of the day and sleep well tonight.
 
I had all my preop vitals checked everything is good. They stuck me four times trying to find a vein. I had a nurse in training. Lucky me. Finally found a vein. Now waiting to go into surgery
They had to stick me twice and I thought that was bad! Glad they finally found a vein. I wonder if it isn't due to the fact I hadn't drank much since 9 pm the night before.
 
I had all my preop vitals checked everything is good. They stuck me four times trying to find a vein. I had a nurse in training. Lucky me. Finally found a vein. Now waiting to go into surgery
They had to stick me twice and I thought that was bad! Glad they finally found a vein. I wonder if it isn't due to the fact I hadn't drank much since 9 pm the night before.
I was definitely dehydrated. I still.am.black and blue from last Friday. That nurse trainee had no clue.
 
Getting in adequate water has been a bit difficult. I'm trying though. My inner thigh is feeling a bit better thankfully. My knee is better, too. I'm icing. I'm going to try to elevate too. So much swelling.
I am getting alot of swelling too- just like last time. The ice makes me feel cold, but I am trying to do it a few times a day for 45 minutes each time. I also should be drinking more water, but nothing tastes good at the moment. I seem to have lost some of my sense of taste and am guessing it is the pain medication.
 
Back
Top Bottom