THR Finally on the recovery side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @pamac so glad the acupuncture seemed to help, am sure it helps me. Although the deep massage I had 3 days ago really made my butt and thigh ache. All ok today, although I am finding sitting down in the office really hurts my backside !! Am going to have a look to see if some sort of pillow will help...

hopefully with your shorter walks the pain is less too x

We have just had a storm but it didn't last long enough....
 
@Suzette When did you have your first post surgery massage? I'm looking forward to that! I'm working at home for 90 minutes, then an hour off, 90 minutes, an hour off. I'm getting about 5.5 hours a day in which is pretty good. I sit on a pillow and in my hour off I walk then lay down. Pain is OK, just my calves hurt getting used to walking again. :walking:
 
@pamac @Suzette I'm hastily making notes on your experiences for when I hit this point in a few weeks time, time to search for a comfy chair add on at home


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
4 weeks today! I am adding distance to my walking every day and the soreness in my calves is improving. I actually felt a little winded just now & it felt great! I can walk up hill. No turning around to walk backwards necessary like pre-surgery. :happydance:I can really sense how great this is going to be once I'm healed. I am lying down right now which I still need to allow myself.
 
hi @pamac when I got to about 8 weeks I checked with the surgeon about the acupuncture and the massage and he said yes to give both a try. But no manipulation or physio. I will be asking the chiropractor lady who does the deep massage to be a little gentler on the 'deep' bit of the massage! She has also shown me some gentle exercises to do in the swimming pool....except the thought of going into a freezing cold pool is not my idea of fun!! so have avoided doing it.....

I am getting so much less pain down the outside of the thigh, I really didn't think that would ever go, but it actually went within days of seeing her. in fact the only time I have it is when I go and lie on the opposite hip, the left, to where the pain is, the right, which is most weird, I don't actually understand that. My knee still moves sideways occasionally, but its my bottom that has the worst pain,

That's great about your working too and how it fits in with home and being able to move about and then rest for a while. AND you walked up hill forward and not backwards .

Enjoy your rest x
 
Hi @Suzette . I started driving yesterday. Feels fine. I just have to careful getting in and out. I worked more last week and wasn't as diligent with my breaks for walking and resting, so by Friday I was feeling that pain on the outside of my thigh and it's all a little more swollen. I'm walking fine and even trimmed the raspberry vines today. It's hard because I feel normal but I'm not. I feel like I should be able to do anything, but noooooo. So I do what I can and I'm happy for it! I'm going to take a break every hour this week and pay more attention to myself. Hope all is going well for you.
 
I am at 6 1/2 weeks. I don't have any "pain" other than muscle aches as I do more. I still have swelling and numbness on the outside of my thigh which they tell me is normal. It doesn't hurt, it just feels weird. Driving is fine. Walking is good - in fact if I don't walk I know it. Too much sitting is bad. We're going to do some putting and chipping tonight! I think my emotional recovery is slower than anything. I was so overwhelmed to have it finally done and be pain free, then the anxiety of hoping it was going to work. Now getting back to work and jumping right back into that crazy stressful environment when I'm still healing is just plain depressing. :sad: This is one time that I wouldn't mind being older so I could retire!
 
Great report @pamac!

Some of us have discussed the possibility of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a possible cause of some of the emotional turmoil post-op. It makes perfect sense to me, as a THR is not a "drop in the bucket" surgery! I'm not sure how one goes about dealing with it, if it is PTSD, but I'm sure the Internet has a load of helpful information. Hopefully work will help keep your mind occupied and the anxiety won't be quite as noticeable.

Enjoy your time at the golf course! :-)
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 Sometimes I feel like I'm a big fat wimp and wonder why I'm not happy as a clam to have this done and over with and rid of that awful grinding pain. Most the time I am happy as a clam! I'm also incredibly hard on myself. I think I may break down and talk to a therapist I know. See, I say that I'm "breaking down" to talk to someone like it's some kind of failure or flaw. I know better! Thank you for listening to me argue with myself. :dubious:
 
@pamac
Oh sweetie, don't you dare feel that way! I may not have all the answers, but I'm always here to lend an ear! You may want to read @45goingon90's thread. She's going through something similar. Also, @Nana757 may have some words of advice for you. Know that you're not alone! Hugs and most importantly, prayers sent up for you.
 
@pamac
Believe me, we all at one time or other have those feelings..like we're not healing fast enough, the pain is still there, I'm not doing what I think I should be...I could go on and on. I think the fact that you went back to work, so soon after surgery, even though you phased it in, is probably the biggest culprit. And by your own admission, it has been very stressful. I don't think you allowed your body AND mind the sufficient healing time. With that said...I promise not to lecture anymore.. It probably wouldn't hurt if you gave your GP a call to discuss your bouts of feeling like you're breaking down. You may need a little something to get you through these rough times. I, out of the clear blue sky, started having panic attacks and fortunately had an appt with my GP last week. She prescribed a fast acting anxiety medicine. Oddly enough, I haven't had another one, yet. But I have the medication, just in case. And, as @Cynthia777 mentioned, I truly believe that we do suffer from a bit of PTSD. Think about what our body has just gone through. I think we are allowed to get depressed, ticked off, sad, weepy, happy, elated, giggly and every other emotion that's out there. Hang in there, girl....you really are doing remarkably well. And, just so you know, I am biting at the bit to get out to the golf course and bowling alley. My PT gal said she was going to bump me up tomorrow, because she knows how anxious I am to get back to the living! And, as you, my thigh muscle still does cause me problems...very achy and sore...but I found 800mg of Motrin helps tremendously. So does icing, still!
Hope you have a great night!
 
Hang in there @pacmac , this too shall pass. Sadly I can say I know how that feels & such depressing blues and anxiety seems to go hand in hand with our operation(s). One thing I finally admitted to myself was that it wasn't me that was the problem, but the outside pressures and expectations. Everyone seems to think that a hip replacement is no big thing now, just a run of the mill operation. Well the operation may be for the surgeons, but for us it's life changing and massively stressful and invasive into our lives; then we get people assuming just because the operation is routine now then we have to get better quicker. My polite response to them is "poppycock!", the impolite one wouldn't pass the filters. Anyone who makes that statement to me now gets it both barrels & a free invite to show them the unedited version of what they did to me as part of the op.
It's not us that is lagging, swinging the lead, being idle, lazy, useless - it's the faulty perception of others and their lack of understanding. Consider that yourself, it's not you, it's their perception of you that's forcing those feelings down your throat and making you feel lousy. You're better and stronger than that, you went through all the stress, pain, agony and challenges that was your hip op, they haven't got a clue how strong you are to achieve that. If they aren't willing to understand that they need to rethink things then as personally I wouldn't spare the oxygen on them; harsh I know but you are the important one here and you are the one going through this. Realise your own strength in what you have achieved so far and start putting those feelings behind you because we all know you're strong enough to do so and we are there with you


I'll get off my soap box now, but I mean every word.

Good luck and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Hi again,

Just re-read my post and apologies if it came across as angry, I'm just annoyed at the people that have tried making me feel bad and I don't want it to happen to others.

Have a great recovery day

Andy


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Well said @AndyH99! And you are so right. The average person just doesn't realize what we have gone through. All they know is this is a "standard and popular" procedure but have no idea how traumatic it can be on our body and mind.
 
I agree @AndyH99 but to be fair years ago I would have thought that our hip op was just a little procedure taking off the top of the hip bone and changing it - easy. Oh boy did I learn the hard way.
 
Needed to be said @AndyH99 :thumb: and you said it well.
@pamac sorry to hear you've hit a small snag. And you are so right. What we go through emotionally before we even enter the hospital is pretty intense!!
Then comes the healing worries and right on top of that is the back to work worries. sigh
We go through so much. Please try to pull back a bit if you can. Even by a couple hours. It could mean a world of difference. You've got this.. you've come so far!
 
It is so difficult as these procedures are seen as minimal as so many are done and these days the UK hospitals tend to punt us out as soon as possible unless there are complications. Then people see us a physically whole person who isnt ill and make assumptions. I always think look at our footballers who have a team of specialists and its OK for six to ten weeks for doing a hamstring. Sheeesh.......... Go your own pace and I'm sure use of a cattle prod will make doubters think again.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin @AndyH99 @CricketHip @copsham @Nana757 @Cynthia777 THANK YOU. No apologies necessary! All what I needed to hear. You are all so right that the expectation now for hips is that it is no big deal. I don't want to disappoint anyone, so I push it. It is a big deal to me and I'm going to be kinder to myself. I can't tell you what your support and understanding means to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom