Guest viewing is limited

THR Finally on the recovery side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting in and out of the car was fine! I'm right hip so may not be released to drive for up to 6 weeks and that's fine with me (I say that now) because I hate traffic. My husband drove us to a park about 1/2 mile away where there is a flat, paved walkway. Walked up and back and back to the car, that part was fine. But I was scared to ride in the car! Every bump and turn and the thought of even a fender bender ruining this, just terrified me. I love the craziest rides at the amusement park, and I jumped out of a plane (once) for crying out loud. Now the car scares me. :umm:
 
This too shall pass :console2: I was scared too my first ride in a car after hip replacement. And quite anxious the first time I drove .... and very very very cautious! But I quickly got back to my usual "devil may care but drive carefully" mode ;) Besides an outside bump is more likely to cause whip lash rather than damage your hip (unless it's a really bad accident - Heaven forbid!)
 
I'm glad to have that first car ride out of the way so i can start to feel better about it. Sorry, but glad to know you were scared too @djklaugh !
 
@pamac you will get more and more confident as you gain strength and mobility. We were all scared at first. After my LTHR I had balance problems and I was terrified. Just keep trying!
 
@pacmac I haven't even thought about going near the car yet, the hospital transport that brought me home scared the (insert appropriate expletive) out of me so I'm steering clear for a while. Well done on cracking that challenge!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99 the same expletive came to my mind. Bilateral gets you a pass for sure to stay away from that car as long as you want! I felt so out of control in the car. I like to be in control:)
 
Day 12 update. Going with just the cane now. Pain is 0 except when my muscles just feel fatigue. There is some numbness toward my backside from the incision, but part of that I remembered is probably scar tissue from 20 some years ago when I fell on said backside playing softball. I had a horrible bruise and lump there.
My husband drove me to a friend's house on Sunday where I spent the day using her recliner for rest and letting her wait on me. Gave my husband a break and gave me some different scenery!
I have been doing the pt exercises given to me at discharge but feeling like I need more challenge. My 2 week appt is Thursday with a NP, so I will ask him. I am feeling so blessed and hopeful. Again, much of my recovery and attitude was helped immensely thru this forum!
:flwrysmile:
 
@AndyH99 and @pamac Care car ride home was absolutely THE worst part of getting hips replaced. Hospital insisted on this, rather than let my cousin drive me home in my car that I was use to getting into and out of, because of my having 7 steps to get up going to front door. They (who ever they were) felt I could not handle stairs yet though I had demonstrated in hospital that I could indeed manage stairs. It was winter just before Christmas - cold, rainy, typical Oregon weather. Care car driver left back of van open while coming to get me so van was very cold AND stank of gas and exhaust fumes (plus inside of van was very dirty). Driver was rather inept at getting me (in wheel chair that was NOT comfortable for 2 newly sliced hips) into van. At one point I was clutching arms of the wheel chair afraid I was going to be tipped out onto the road. And drive home (about 20 minutes) was bumpy and cold. Get to my home and driver realizes (DOH! nurse had told him and so had I) there are 7 steps up to my front door .... he has to get another fellow to come help him heft the chair up to the front door.... so there we sat for about another 20 minutes waiting for extra fellow to show up. I could have easily made it up the stairs on my own - slowly, carefully, one leg at a time .... and it still would not have taken me 20 minutes! Needless to say that experience added to my car ride anxiety! :blackcloud: :headbang: :hairpulling: :groan: Ah but 3 1/2 years later it's all water under the bridge and all that is left is enlightened story and wry amusement at having lived through it all! :snork:
 
@djklaugh I love hearing from those of you who are years past this ordeal. Inspiring to us in the middle of it all!
Since I did overdo it yesterday, I took an Oxy last night and I slept with my llegs elevated all night. Woke up at 4 to go to the bathroom. After I washed my hands, a wave of lightheadedness, cold sweat, then head buzzing. I thought I was going to pass out! I have low pressure anyway and in the hospital it was pretty low, but I was never dizzy. I sat down and drank some water, which didn't stay down long. Ended up sitting there for 45 minutes before I shuffled back to bed. Just when you think it's going so well, you are reminded. Feeling better but still a little off. :nah:
 
@Poppet I just read thru your nutrition library and I want to go grocery shopping now! I have a couple questions for you and I understand you cannot advise me what to do, so your general opinion is welcome.
Per my previous post, I had a low blood pressure episode. I read that a little coffee may help and protein. Is there anything else that could help?
Second, what is your opinion of collagen drops. I had been taking up until 2 weeks before surgery and it improved my toenails. Same with Sam-e.
I have appt tomorrow so will be asking them these questions, but wouldn't mind some extra input for my discussion. Thank you!
 
@Poppet I just read thru your nutrition library and I want to go grocery shopping now! I have a couple questions for you and I understand you cannot advise me what to do, so your general opinion is welcome.
Per my previous post, I had a low blood pressure episode. I read that a little coffee may help and protein. Is there anything else that could help?
Second, what is your opinion of collagen drops. I had been taking up until 2 weeks before surgery and it improved my toenails. Same with Sam-e.
I have appt tomorrow so will be asking them these questions, but wouldn't mind some extra input for my discussion. Thank you!

Hi @pamac - I am sorry however my professional accreditation status prohibits me from providing a reply/opinion which would/could be perceived to be consulting. I could lose my professional registration as I am registered with the government and have to comply with the requirements of a specific legislated Act.... Sorry... :)
 
@pamac Just as another encouragement to you from someone 8 months out: Yesterday at the market, my cart started rolling away from my car as I was packing my trunk with groceries; without thinking, I ran after it! (A no-no.) But: I was fine :dancy: A little shaken, but fine. A gentleman was there and then helped me put my big bag of charcoal in my car.

So very very glad I did this hip replacement. Had it been one year ago, I would have paid big time with pain.

Enjoy this beautiful day!!
 
My 2 week appointment on Thursday was very uneventful. He pulled the steri-strip off and the incision looks good. There was just one spot where the glue didn't hold completely so I got a pretty neon band aid. Now it looks fine. He poked around the spots that are numb and a little swollen and said they are fine. My op leg is about 1cm longer now which he said should resolve after the swelling is down. I can start taking all the supplements I was taking pre-op like vitamins and turmeric and collagen.
My BP was 88/56 and that was after walking some distance to the doctors office. He said as my activity increases, it will get better. I don't have to "elevate" unless I get swelling toward my knee, but I am still supposed to incorporate periods of horizontal rest. In the meantime be careful when standing especially right after meals - your blood rushes to the lower intestine and out of your head. Driving I don't need to worry about yet. The main thing there is being off the hard pain killers (which I haven't taken since Tuesday) and being able to lift my leg. I can lift now, I just don't know how fast. If I can work from home he said I could start whenever I wanted as tolerated. Rats.
My right calf is already much smaller than my left. He said that muscle tone goes away quickly but fortunately comes back quickly too.
Walk Walk Walk is the plan. No PT.
Today I am going to supervise some housework (I will try to keep from pointing with my cane :snork:) and I'm going to putz around the yard.
Have a good day all!
 
@pacmac The visual from that almost made me spit my tea out, I'd just been using my crutch to point something out to one of my step kids- lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
"If I can work from home he said I could start whenever I wanted as tolerated. Rats." :oyvey: Oh honey I don't think you're ready for that yet. Do you? :good-bad::eyebrows:

Yup cane pointing is what's indicated at this point in your recovery! :snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom