THR Finally on the recovery side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jaycey I did read your link on the blues and it helped. Gave me the courage to post about it and then hear of similar feelings from others which helps even more!
 
That is so sweet @Grumpyjoe . I have a tendency to be a control freak....having to let go ( and let go you must,) has been good for my husband and myself
 
@pamac if it's any consolation I cried buckets after both THRs. I think it's frustration, being very tired and having to face what seems like weeks of mobility issues. Truth is your mobility increases everyday. And what seems impossible one day is just very easy another day. You'll get there!
 
Hi @pamac! Good to see you on here. Sorry to read about your blue spells. From what everyone says, though, it won't be long lived.. you are on your way back! Will be watching for your posts. :)
 
Thank you @CricketHip . I am feeling better today especially knowing I'm not alone. Part of it too is that you wait and suffer and fret for so long, that when surgery arrives you kind of short circuit. You have some time to wait yet but it will be here before you know it! Then you might have a little of the blues too, but will be that much closer to a quiet, pain free hip! :yahoo:
 
hahaha @pamac, you are so sweet to think of me and give me a pep talk. You are right, the suffering and fretting wears us down and then it ends in a flurry of activities, then boom! We are home and left to cope with our emotions.

I am stockpiling my books, movies and kleenex boxes.. ;)
 
@pamac Yes the grumpy blues do hit most everyone for a day or two after surgery. But it does go away.Do you have a place at your home where you could sit out side for a bit? If you don't have a comfortable outside sitting place maybe just taking brief walks outside would help. Portland's hot sunny weather might provide you with some needed pick me up. I'm in Portland myself and had my surgery during rainy, chilly winter - no sunshine on my face for weeks made every little thing seem worse.

And yeah I know about the hating to feel dependent and not being use to getting taken care of .... but once I was all healed up I was able to pay back and pay forward numerous times (and all of my helpers claimed I'd already "paid forward" with them). So relax and enjoy - I've been told it actually makes people feel good to help others :)
 
Thanks @djklaugh I have to do a few stairs to get outside and might feel like that tomorrow before it gets too warm. I have a light lamp too.
 
This morning the advice nurse called back finally about my heartburn. She said to spread out the time to take aspirin and meloxicam. She also seemed to think I shouldn't have any swelling even only on day 5. So she stressed being flat with legs elevated and my head with only 1 pillow. My thigh is swollen but not huge.
I think I stayed in bed more today because of that which made it swell more. Every little muscle cramp and pain i feel is most certainly a blood clot. I did fall asleep at 9 and woke up at 1 feeling crappy. Full of gas, my lower back hurts plus I have a rash on my lower back. Haven't taken much oxy and they're only 5mg, but I guess that's enough. I walked around and burped for about 20 minutes. Lovely. Feel a little better but not really. :sad:
 
The swelling is no longer on the outside of my calf and has lessened at the outside just above my knee. It is still tight on my upper thigh on the outside. I am elevating and icing, then walking a little every hour. I hope the swelling starts to go away.
 
Today was a good day. Swelling is gone except for a little on my thigh. Tiny bit of color starting to show. Elevation is the key, then walk, then ice. I'm walking around the house with the walker and concentrating on heel to toe even strides. Hard to believe that a week ago tonight I was having the night before jitters. I have to say again that this week would have been much harder without all of you.:loveshwr:
 
@pamac Sounds like things are progressing nicely, long may it continue. One tiny word of caution from my experience, really keep focus on your movement, especially if it things feel like they are going well. I made a mistake at the start of my week two due to this and caused myself a lot of pain

Good luck & keep that steady recovery rolling.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99 I read your mishap and I am a fraidy-cat so will be very careful in my movements. Thank you for the reminder!
 
@pamac, I cried a lot during the first week and some during the second week. I think mine was a combination of finally realizing what I had done and relief at having done it! Other times, well, I just needed to cry. No particular reason. I'm usually the rock in our family so it was a little tricky to person only when I was alone but I didn't want to worry others when there really wasn't anything in particular wrong -- at least nothing that I could justify. The posters on this forum made me realize that my tears were unexplained but they were mine and I was allowed to boo-hoo if needed. Hubby saw me a few times and looked sorta puzzled but he gives me a wide berth when it comes to showing emotions so that was a blessing. It passed after the second week and I think it was directly related to my increased activity level and being able to get out for lunch or to shop. Why not grab someone and plan a movie date? That was my first real outing and it was perfect. I took a pillow (haha) and my cane, we went during the day when the theater was not crowded, and I just sat and enjoyed being social again! It also helps to have something to anticipate...perhaps in a couple of weeks??

Hoping that you find your joy soon and continue to move forward! Good job!
 
Thank you @beachgal very well timed post. Had been feeling much better emotionally until this morning. At what point did you go to the movie? I'm only 1 week today and I guess that's the downfall of not having any PT, I don't know where I stand or what I should be doing at this point.
 
@pamac, well, let's see...I was at the end of my second week, I believe, before we ventured out to the movies. Hubby had taken me for a couple of little drives along the Natchez Trace (beautiful scenery, little traffic) just to get me accustomed to getting in and out of the car...and to see how my tolerance for tiredness was improving.

At the end of my week one, I was able to start working on getting in and out of a vehicle. My PT gal showed me how but I had already watched some demos via Youtube which showed every little move and adjustment to help with that transition to sitting in a car and how to properly get out. Even if you have no plans to go anywhere, it's not a bad idea to start mentally working on that process, then try to practice a few of the movements -- but not when you're alone. I kept my walker and cane handy as they both helped with perfecting the entry & exit. And BE SLOW! If you don't feel quite ready yet, just try again later. There were a few days that I was afraid to try, then I'd do part of it (like sitting in the car seat without moving my legs inside the car) then I'd add a bit more, etc. until I felt ready. It will also help build up your confidence which is 90% of it! :egypdance:

RE no PT...well, frankly, it was nice having my sweet Roslyn come by every other day for three weeks but she really didn't "DO" anything for me that I wasn't already doing. My body was telling me much more about what I should be doing (or NOT doing) than my PT gal did. There is enough info on where you should be at week 2, week 3, etc. on this forum but just as a guideline. You have to tailor it to fit your needs and healing level. I never took pain meds before PT except the first time, and I didn't need them. :yes!:

One thing I realized early on after I got home...this was MY recovery. All the advice and helpful hints in the universe would not help me unless I made it mine. What worked for me may not be what works for you. I was just determined that I would not be afraid to try...be it exercises, walking a bit further, doing the car thing, whatever...and it was tough. The mental part was the hardest. I just had to build up my confidence that my hip would work ok and that I was going to make it a part of my body and my routine. Once I made peace with that notion, the rest sort of fell together. :happydance:

When you're feeling blue, start plotting about what you can work on next...there is nothing like success to fight that "downer" feeling! I really documented my recovery time on my thread so if you're interested in the blow-by-blow activities, find it and read. You won't feel so alone as we have all been there...:cheers:
 
That was what I needed to hear @beachgal ! I am going to venture outside today once I have some clean clothes. Since what I can wear is limited, it runs out quickly. I will listen to my body and proceed accordingly. :thankyou:
 
I'm only 1 week today and I guess that's the downfall of not having any PT, I don't know where I stand or what I should be doing at this point.
Truth is there is no "should" in this recovery. Literally every recovery from THR is different - even on the same person! List to your body. My trick was to do half as much as I thought I could do. Have the distance walking, shorter trip to the shops. Pretty soon you can judge your limits and plan. Early days @pamac . You'll get there!
 
Yes! The first week did go by quickly. Yesterday I removed the bandage. Now it's just covered by a strip of white "steristrip" which is supposed to fall off on its own. No redness at all. Just sharpie marks. Been walking with a cane today and planning a trip out to a park this afternoon. A short, careful excursion!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom