THR Finally on the other side!!!

:wave:How are things with you @Dracia?
Hope you are doing well with that new hip!
 
Everything is rather slow and uneventful at this point. Lol. My surgeon got word that my local ortho doc put me in physical therapy and promptly pulled me out of it. I'm still not driving as it's difficult for me with the 90 degree restriction and my muscles feel like they "pull" - it's super uncomfortable!

I still have pain in my butt and laterally which makes it difficult to walk at times. However, I'm hoping that once my restrictions are lifted and I get some strength back everything will work out. I'm supposed to have an 8 week appt with my surgeon, but still waiting to be told when (ill be 5 weeks tomorrow).

Right now it just feels as though everything has stagnated and no improvements are happening. Still on 2 crutches as per surgeons orders, although before I was pulled from PT I at least saw that I can use a cane. I wish I was able to notice some sort of small feat so I know I'm doing better as it's starting to feel like I'm just stuck and this is as good as it gets.

Thanks for checking in and thinking of me!
 
Try looking at your progress from week to week and not day by day. Example: Each Sunday night, see if you feel a bit ahead of where you were the previous Sunday evening.

Is the pain in your rear like you're sitting on a golf ball? If so, I recall that and STILL feel it on occasion
over one year post op.

I couldn't sit in a car longer than 30-45 minutes for the first few months. Super uncomfortable, jiggly wiggly, simply wanted OUT NOW. I brought a frozen gel pack along on car rides and placed it in the area of my discomfort when I drove. At least only one way of the trip was uncomfortable, as opposed to both.

Consider calling the office of your OS to check on the post op appt. It will probably nudge them to schedule one for you.

Wishing you a great week and some noticeable improvement.
@Dracia
 
That's a good idea. Maybe if I write down how I'm doing each Sunday it'll make it easier to compare.

And no, this pain doesnt feel like I'm sitting on something. I dont really notice it when I'm sitting, only when walking. I'm guessing it's some sort of muscle/tendon issue. But it can be anything from a stinging feeling to a sharp pain. I left a message with my doc on Friday, so maybe I'll hear back from them tomorrow so we can figure out what the problem is. And I'll definitely nudge them to get that post op appointment scheduled!

I have no idea how I'm going to manage a 2 hour commute, one way, for one of my jobs! I didn't realize driving/sitting in a car would be as challenging as it is. Looks like I will need to take lots of stretching breaks! Same thing happens during the night, everything seems to stiffen up and be cranky!

Fingers crossed for some good news from the doc tomorrow and that he says the butt pain will fix itself!
 
There are many who report a stagnation in recovery at a month out..and I went through many different stages of different pains in different places as I began to move around more.
I know it's hard for you to be patient but you are doing wonderfully @Dracia .
This hip, once healed, is going to make you very happy!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with some of our younger members contemplating or anticipating surgery.:) :-) (:
The car riding was not so fun for me for quite some time.
I know this recovery seems like forever...but keep baby stepping and you will soon make large strides.
Hope you have a great day today!:tada:
 
So, the PA called on Monday and insisted I come in today to be examined. I was really just hoping for a, "yeah, you're fine," phone call but was happy they took my pain seriously. I went in and got some xrays of Genesis. She's a beauty and perfect in every way!

Surgeon said he would be concerned about my pain if the xrays looked bad, but since they're perfect he's chalking it up to my body trying to figure out how to operate with an adequate hip for once. I mentioned my knee pain since I was there (why not, right?). He said it's my IT band and really isn't surprised by it. He sounded pretty confident everything will resolve on its own and he confirmed I'm still on track to go to Disney this winter. He sounded so confident I'd be walking like a champ by then, but it feels so unrealistic at this point.

I tried to convince him to let me off my crutches, but alas I failed. However, he said at 8 weeks I can ditch EVERYTHING and walk like a normal human being again! Seems odd to go from 2 crutches to unaided, but he knows best I guess. Let the countdown begin: 2 weeks and 6 days until freedom! Watch out, world. Dracia is coming for you.
 
Thanks @Mojo333, it's nice to hear someone say I'm doing wonderfully because it doesn't always feel that way. I really appreciate the kind words. I need you guys to keep me grounded because in my head I should be running around the country like Forrest Gump by now! Lol. Patience, patience, patience!

It's so good to hear from people who have been in my shoes and are farther along, you know what's normal and what isn't! And you're right, once healed I'm going to be ecstatic. Just need to keep remembering that I'm still healing rather than fully healed!

And I'm always happy to help our young'ns considering THR! I know it's such a tough decision. Hopefully once I'm healed I can be a success story for them look forward to! :)
 
Today marks 6 weeks and I am disheartened. Hip is fine, but my IT band (lateral knee, in particular) is giving me significant issues while trying to drive. Normally, I wouldn't care so much but starting next week I need to drive two hours, one way, for work. I can barely drive around downtown without cringing at every pothole. I tried doing the IT band stretches, but my hip doesn't move well so it doesn't stretch. The standing one seemed doable, but it's not. I'm really worried about the driving next week and I'm not sure what to do. =/ I REALLY hope my IT band will cooperate soon. Maybe when I'm off crutches and start gaining strength back? I don't know. Regardless, I need to find a way to drive semi-comfortably by next week. Help?
 
What IT band stretches are you doing? It took a long time for the tenderness down the side of my thigh to slowly go away and it hurt at my knee often. I didn't have any problems riding or driving especially because it was my left hip. I did have to keep everything out of my back pocket on that side as the incision was tender until recently. It will still let me know where it is but nowhere near as bad as in the first 3 mos. A 2hr hour drive at 6 weeks even with no real pain from driving would be tough. I took a few hour trip driving but stopped often to get out and walk and stretch.
I didn't read you whole thread and got confused about a PA. The only person I dealt with was my OS and his immediate nurse. My followups were at 2 weeks and 6 weeks. I was off any pain meds before 2 weeks so I was clear to drive at 2 weeks with no problems. I also was weight bearing right away so your surgery sounds different than most.
 
Have you had it diagnosed as IT band or are you self diagnosing?

Don't want to pick on you, but as I'm not too familiar, I google IT band syndrome and this popped out at me
Iliotibial band syndrome is also prominent in cyclists— even though each stroke of the pedals is probably much less irritating to this knee condition than running, sheer repetition can certainly make up for it. Hiking, backpacking, orienteering, and frequent long walks can also cause the syndrome. Maybe in the future it will be known as Pokémon trainer’s knee.
Hope you can get insight from some other members ...
I do sympathize!
 
I've also heard stretches are the common remedy ...but don't know if that takes time to see relief.
We can tag Josephine with specific questions about it if you'd like to.

Hope today is a better day.
 
:hi:Hope today is a better day..
Hopefully when you get off those crutches you'll have the IT band issue under control and you can be strutting.
 
Just thought I'd drop by with an update! I miss chatting with you all.

I'm just over 8 weeks post op and doing relatively well. I choose to continue walking with a cane because I've got a slight limp going on, but my husband says it's getting better. So, I've started walking around the house a little less with the cane for practice. Today, I took my cane with me to walk around the block and used it off and on. I think it's mostly a mental game at this point - it's hard to undo a decade worth of limping! Yesterday at the grocery store I pushed the cart out ahead of me and walked to it little by little throughout the store. Probably looked like a crazy lady, but that's okay!

I'm still have the IT band issues when driving, although it seems to be improving - albeit SLOWLY. I do still have pain, but it's primarily lateral pain along the incision. It bothers me when I walk or sit on hard surfaces for a long time, which may be contributing to my limp. Groin pain comes and goes, sometimes it gets better after I walk and other times it feels worse - but ice helps. I hope that's not totally uncommon for being 8 weeks! I'm able to walk downstairs, but still can't walk up them like a normal person - not sure how to improve this.

Overall, I'm starting to feel a little bit more like me and a little bit less crippled. I just hope I continue to improve, I'm not sure at what point I'll reach the "this is as good as it gets" line - but I hope it's a ways off yet!
 
You are doing very well at two months, @Dracia and it is sure to get better and better.
I think I felt that my big turnaround was at 4 months...was just slow but steady improvement at the stage you are at, so don't think you are behind the curve.
I saw more and more improvement up to a year and as we are able to walk better and more, our strength comes back.
I was so tired at two months out :yawn:.. practice your heel to toe and keep the faith.:ok:
 
Hello @Dracia, I just finished reading your thread thus far. My bilateral surgery is in four weeks, so I have been doing a lot of reading, but have not been through the surgery yet, so can't speak from experience thus far. What I do know is that three months is considered early healing, and six months to a year are considered later healing, but that the deep healing can still go on longer than that. From what I've read, many feel that they "own" their new hip by six months. I do know a fair amount about soft tissue injuries in general though, and they take time. It appears that the amount of soft tissue damage maybe isn't stressed enough to patients, and that soft tissue healing takes a long time, longer than bone healing. It sounds as if you are on the right track with more healing to come. I would continue on the slow and steady recovery path with continued rest, elevation and ice. Stay away from the ODIC as it takes more healing time if you end up there. If you have very gentle stretches to do for your IT band, that are helping, do them as directed. If they hurt, stop!
Also, it takes 10-12 weeks for the bone grafting to occur around your prothesis if it is uncemented. There is a lot of healing still going on, so be kind to yourself! A year from now you will be very thankful you did, that is what I continue to read from folks in the know on this forum. It is hard to be patient, but you have lived with the problems for so long, that you will look back at this time and realize it really is a drop in the bucket. Hard right now though! @Layla suggests taking stock of your healing on a weekend to weekend basis vs. daily, as with the wkend to wkend you will see more progress! I hope that I can remember all this when it comes to myself, and please feel free to throw it all back at me when I'm doing too much too soon!!!:heehee:
Wishing you healthy healing!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
You've probably read / heard this, but just in case you haven't....
Practice heel-toe walking in an effort to lose the limp.
It takes concentration and feels unnatural after the sloppy gait most of us adopted with our ailing hips.
Let your heel strike the ground first, followed by toes. Try it, if you're not already.
A wonderful end of the week to you, you're doing great!
@Dracia
 
I'm feeling your pain. Literally. ITB is a [insert synonym for female canine with offspring] - I'm one of those cyclists mentioned in the description of the problem. Dealing with it for me means stretching when I get the chance (anytime I'm in the kitchen waiting for the microwave to go off), and avoiding activities that trigger it as much as possible. (So no cycling - waaaaaaah!!) While it can be a tenacious little beast, for a lot of people it goes away after 6-8 weeks with rest. Here's hoping for both of us!

And regarding your cane: you must give it a name. That's the law. (Mine was Beelzebub J. Demonstick - "D Stick" for short.)
 
Back
Top Bottom