THR Finally on the other side!!!

Welcome @Dracia
My first shower was similar. Bend the knees not the hips. Felt lite headed so it was a quick shower and back to bed feeling so much better was I layed down. It does get better. And quicker than you feel right now. Ice truly is your best friend in the beginning. Best wishes on your recovery. Look forward to following your journey.
 
Hey Sweetie,
I got my bath stool and rubber mat thru Amazon...super cheap and came in a few days...no where near the pricing you were mentioning earlier...shop it baby : )
So happy you have support and such an amazing husband to help you!
Thinking of you and sending wonderful healing vibes ~
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I see decent shower chairs, commodes, walkers canes etc in my local thrift stores.
I picked up my best cane for $3
And that's what bleach is for...:loll:
Sounds like you are coming along well!
Welcome to the BS club!
 
:hi:I hope things are easing some.
Keep that ice going and pain managed.
Lots of deep healing happening!
 
Pain is tolerable as long as I take my medicine religiously. I have been noticing a burning/tingling sensation by my incision, but I think that's just the nerves "waking up" and incision healing. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself! lol. I dont have any discharge from the dressing anymore, but am continuing to wear my "hip diaper," as I like to call it. There isnt anything in my discharge paperwork about how long I have to wear it for, but it's starting to get itchy and annoying more than anything.

Currently, I think the most frustrating part is needing so much help! I'm 27 and am not used to accepting help for the simplest things. I still can't lift my leg on my own yet, but I'm doing my quad exercises and ankle pumps as PT instructed. I'm ready to start feeling "normal" again, but I know I need to be patient.

Sleep is also challenging. I have to urinate every 3 hours, almost like clockwork (still no BM). Pain doesn't keep me awake, I just plain don't sleep well - likely because I have to stay on my back. I probably could try sleeping on my side, but I'm so worried to do anything to possibly hurt my hip. Each day seems longer and longer as it drags on, I'm sure all of you can relate to that feeling! I just need to keep remembering that this is temporary.
 
All VERYfamiliar complaints to me.
The zingy, burning feeling..the no way to get comfy enough to sleep on back...
It does seem like time drags...:bored:
But it is temporary...and the payoff Will Be so worth it!
Keep the faith...we are rooting for you.
:yay:
 
Good Morning Dracia

Totally relate to all your issues!
My dressing was a little "itchy" too...I took that as a good healing sign : )
Think you should wear your "hip diaper" until your doc removes it (mine was removed at my 2 wk. post op visit)...better to reduce the risk of infection (there's a reason for it : )

I hear you...it's challenging having to have help ~ this is totally normal ~ be patient and kind to yourself at this time and just try to relax and let your body heal. I had no strength in my leg the first 1-2 weeks and had to have help turning on my NON operated side (with pillows in between my legs), it's okay to have help, you've been through a major surgery and it takes time to heal patience is a virtue (and I have none hehe) ~

GREAT that you're going weeee so much, keep drinking that water ~ that's all I did was drink water, it helps get things moving, I also ate prunes a little at every meal ~ don't like them but it helped to get things moving! The drugs really wreak havoc on your system and you don't want to force anything so keep drinking that water : )

You're doing everything right! Walking every few hours...and doing your PT as directed!
The first few weeks are the most difficult ~ be gentle and kind to yourself and remember that this is temporary! Every week I turned a little corner and felt better! Just try to simply relax, catch up on some good reading or movies and know that you will feel much better soon!
We're all here for you going through this journey together~
Sending you positive healing vibes and thoughts to you today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, @Dracia
The sensation you're feeling near your incision sounds normal. You may have that feeling occasionally
for weeks to come. I'm surprised you weren't instructed on the wound dressing. I'd definitely keep it in place until your first post op visit, if it's not too far out. OR, I'd touch base with the office of your OS, letting them know you weren't instructed on wound care.

Accept the help you need. It's only temporary. Most all of us dislike bothering or being dependent upon others.
It's good for the caregiver. It never hurts anyone to be kind, supportive or compassionate to another.

Sleep can be choppy at first and boredom does set in. It will all regulate soon. Watch tv or movies, call a friend, email family or friends, play online games, plan a vacation, read a book or magazines, get an adult coloring book etc. You'll be back living life in no time. And the best part.....without pain!!
A great weekend to you!
 
Still waiting to hear back from the doc about the dressing, but I assume he'll email me back tomorrow. My postop visit isnt for another 7 weeks, but I'm guessing I wont need to wear it THAT long!

I know recovery is different for everyone, but I'm getting worried about being unable to ditch the oxy. Surgery was only on the 18th, but I only have 40 5mg tablets left. I was taking them every 3 hours and I've now pushed it to every 4 hours, but I can't seem to go beyond that yet. Not sure if that's 'normal', but I hope my doctor will provide another refill if I need it. With only 40 tablets, I'll be out in less than a week at this rate. =/

Yesterday I had a not so good experience in the shower, but I learned showering first thing upon waking isnt wise! Got into the shower, put shampoo in my hair, and BOOM - dizziness hit me like a ton of bricks and I started throwing up. Never thought I'd get out of the shower that fast without dislocating my hip, but she held up! Lesson learned to ease my way into the day, rather than jump the gun.

Occasionally, I get a sharp "pinch" in the groin - typically when I'm laying down and not moving. It's likely nothing, I'm just hypervigilant about every little feeling and want to make sure my perfect hip stays perfect. Lol. Havent really noticed any "big signs" of progress yet, but I'm going on car trips more often - even though I just stay in the car while the husband does grocery shopping or whatever. it's nice to get out of the house!
 
  • Like
Reactions: REM
@Dracia You are only days out of major surgery. You need to reset your expectation and slow down. All that you are experiencing is just post op recovery. Aches, pains, pitches - everything is healing. Give that new hip a break. Rest, ice and elevate. Limit your journeys for now - sitting for any length of time can aggravate a new hip.

Ask your family doctor for another prescription if you can't reach your surgeon. Far too early to be coming off your meds.
 
:hi: it is difficult not to get anxious about every new twinge, but there is bound to be lots of those on this recovery journey so don't worry.
I had bouts of unexpected dizziness also so please do be careful.
No falling down and going boom!:no-fin: It's against the rules!
Still early days for you, and the pain medication will help you stay mobile...see how things go.
Hope today is a Good Day!:flwrysmile:
 
It's good to hear I'm not "behind the curve" - so to speak. It feels like the doctors, along with my supports, have certain expectations for me because I'm so young - and I think I've started putting those expectations on myself. It's a relief to know that still needing my meds isnt a abnormal at this point!

I definitely continue to ice and elevate! Anytime I'm sitting or laying down at home I have the ice pack with me. :) My husband goes back to work tomorrow so I'm a little nervous about being home alone, aside from his lunch break. I havent done many things unaided yet. But I'm learning to get on and off the toilet, and that's really the important one. Lol.

Thanks for the validation and reminder that I dont need to be superwoman!
 
Occasionally, I get a sharp "pinch" in the groin - typically when I'm laying down and not moving.[/QUOTE]


Hello, Im in week 3. I had the same groin "pinch" It was more like a electric shock in groin, lasting only seconds. I got real Freaked because that was one of the reasons I had surgery. Happy to say the Shock is gone now, replaced by a dull ache. I stopped the Oxy in the hospital...wrecked my body. They gave me Tramadol 50 mg that I cut in half. I would alternate Tram with Tylenol. IDK the answer but don't be in pain.
It's a rainy day here and I'm sore and stiff.
Ups and downs. Everyday is different. Here's to more Up days
 
For the first 2 weeks showering and dressing were about all I could do before I needed to lie down for a while, and my first shower almost ended like yours: splat.

It's hard to gauge how well you're going to do with your recovery at this point, because you've just gotten started - give it a week or two more and you'll have a much better idea how this is going to break for you. And don't let your doctor's expectations affect your perception of your recovery - this is your recovery! Defy the curve! Take as long as you need! Keep your delightful sense of humor and add a bit of a bad attitude!

You're gonna be fine.
 
You are only 6 days post op! Of course you still need the meds, you had major surgery. Your age means very little at this early stage other than maybe having more strength to move yourself around. I was taking daily Oxy for around 3 weeks. No reason your OS wouldn't give you a refill. I had 2-3 refills. I think I ended up getting around 160 pills total. I'll be at 5 full weeks tomorrow and I still have a few pills left. I still have quite a bit of pain but try to get by with less powerful meds. 3 hours is a little short between doses but go ahead and take a pill every 4 hours around the clock if needed in these early days. I didn't leave the house or shower for the first 2 weeks. You are pushing pretty hard so early. Don't hurt yourself.
 
My husband goes back to work tomorrow so I'm a little nervous about being home alone
I was alone most of both my recoveries. Just have a cell phone nearby and have hubby make sure things you use on a regular basis are within reach.
Thanks for the validation and reminder that I don't need to be superwoman!
Nope - this is not a contest to see who can run a marathon first. Slow and steady is the best approach to this recovery. And many new hippies take meds for weeks post op. Take it easy my friend - you'll get there!
 
Hi Dracia.
Your body will let you know when to stop the oxy. Don't worry about asking for more. I was on them longer than most. Almost three months. I went from every four hours in the beginning to one at bed time in the end. I have maybe twenty or so left sitting in my top drawer that I hopefully will never need but have should the need should arise. I had to cut my first shower short as dizziness hit me too. Had to grab a hold of the sink to hold my self up. Barely made it back to my bed. I'm the last one to save have patience but please do try. Best wishes for a pain free day.
 
This is a lot more of a major deal then most let on. Your body lost a lot of blood and is trying to mend the area. It took me 2 weeks to get the color back in my face and arms, I looked pasty. Your diet right now is important, and so is a BM. I didn't have the BM problem, but I wore a path going to pee every few hours every night which I think was from sleeping on my back. I have a walk in shower so I didn't sit and I have a handle to hold on. Also a sponge on a stick that I used for my legs and feet.
 
Back
Top Bottom