THR Finally on the other side!!!

A Cane with a Name.

Sounds like a Broadway show.

Mine is called Stranger...now.
But not for many months so...
Hang in there:friends:
 
@Dracia. Stopping by to say Hi. We had our surgery about 2 weeks apart..
I read thru your status and I’m about the same. Sometimes cane , sometimes not.
I noticed when walking bare foot I’m not stable..my balance is off. Sometimes that knee doesn’t want to move along smoothly. There are times I have a mechanical sensation in that hip.not a sound , just a weird feeling.
I also have pain down the thigh and the trochanter area is painful to touch. I also have groin pain.
The OS prescribed Mobic , anti inflammatory. I stopped it , on my own , and started Aleve..it’s been 2 days and I see a difference in pain. ( knock on wood)
Walking up the stairs was easier for me than going down. I keep saying a little ditty the PT used when I was in hospital..good foot up to heaven , bad foot down to hell..silly but it still works.
I’m having bad mood days. Your post helped me..
I kept myself home bound for the last 2 months...way too long.
Today , I visited a friend and after, Hubs took me grocery shopping..I felt pretty good..HA, whoever would have thought! Baby steps.
This has been more challenging than I expected. I’m learning the power of patience.
Wishing you continued recovery.
AR2
@Layla
 
Thanks for all of your advice and well wishes everyone!

@Bone-obo I'll definitely have to think of a name for my cane. My first thought was Engelbert Humperdink, but that's a mouth full to say. lol

@AnnieRose2 I'm glad my post was able to raise your spirits a bit! Recovery has been more challenging than expected for me as well, and I'm incredibly impatient. Lol. I can't imagine staying home bound for 2 months; I would have lost my mind. I think getting outside as much as possible and walking has helped me keep a more positive mindset. Although it's still hard sometimes! I still have that bursitis pain as well - in fact, I think that's the worst of it! Hoping it'll subside eventually with everything else, but who knows. I had bursitis issues pre-op as well, not sure if a hip replacement is supposed to fix that too or not!

Today has been a pretty good day. I compared videos of me walking preop vs today - pretty significant difference! I'm excited to take another video at 12 weeks. Yesterday, I took my very first bath which was terrifying at first. However, I got in and out all on my own! It was not graceful by any means, but I got the job done. XD
 
Great for scary bath!
I was the same way...I had my better half help me out though once wet and slippery.
He says it's the one part of my recovery he misses:heehee:

Hope you have a good weekend.
Happy Three Month Hipversary!
:happydance::happydance::happydance:
 
Yay on the bath!
Another milestone. It feels so satisfying to accomplish these firsts.
Happy Two Month Anniversary to you!
I hope you have a lovely weekend.
@Dracia
 
One step forward, two steps back. Bah humbug!

I wish there was a magic ball to look into that would tell me where I *should* be at 9 weeks. What's too much, what's too little, etc. All is well aside from significant lateral pain/butt pain, I'm guessing bursitis. I had bursitis pre-op, but I was hoping the hip replacement would fix that too. When my bursitis flares, I limp pretty significantly (if that's what it is). Otherwise, I walk perfectly fine. Unfortunately, it has been flaring up pretty bad the last few days. I've been using ice packs the last 2 days, took a hot bath, using voltaren gel - just can't seem to get the pain to stop. Has anyone had bursitis go away after the hip replacement? Or does it stay regardless?

The pain probably serves me right though, the last week I've been doing about 3k-5k steps each day (not all at once) and riding on my stationary bike for an hour. It's frustrating because I feel like I should be able to do those things by now. By 12 weeks you're supposed to be pretty much "back to normal," and I'm getting close to that point.

I know you all are probably going to prescribe me rest and ice. But is my activity level really that unreasonable for 9 weeks? The joint itself isn't bothering me at all. I hope it isn't always going to be like this.
 
Maybe you could forego the hour on the stationary bike...
See if that helps.
That would seem to aggravate bursitis...in my opinion.
I was doing well, but certainly not "back to normal" at 3 months.
Four month mark was my biggest turnaround! Just have to ease off when things seem to be complaining!
Unfortunately, our body is in charge...:umm:
Sending healing hugs:loveshwr:
 
Hi @Dracia
Take a look at the Activity Progression for THR below as a rough gauge of your progress.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
I realize it only goes up to 8 weeks and you're 9 weeks post op, but I think by looking at 8 weeks you'll be able to judge whether you're in the realm of "average".
I hope this helps.
Wishing you a nice day and great weekend!
 
Hoping things are going better with you! Seen any improvement?
Hope you have a Good Day!
 
@Mojo333 - unfortunately, no improvement. I completely stopped riding the bike and I'm still struggling with lateral knee/bursitis pain despite constantly icing. It's painful, but it won't kill me. Just bugs me that it's keeping me on my cane. Wish I had better news to report!
 
Hi @Dracia
Let's have @Josephine weigh in on your pain and activity level rather than wondering or self diagnosing.
I've tagged her for you so please check back in case she has questions.
To brighter days!
 
All is well aside from significant lateral pain/butt pain,
Would you care to show me where this pain is using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Finally on the other side!!!
 
Absolutely! T-LB1, V-LB1, and W-LB1 primarily. V-R3F hurts at the moment after walking 4k steps.
 
Too bad it's not so easy to get rid of! Lol. Can't seem to do any IT band stretches, my hip won't "move" correctly for the stretch. Been using a foam roller on it though and icing.

Luckily I see my surgeon next week, maybe he will let me into PT or something that can help.
 
Dunno if this'll help you get back on the bike, but I used a pedal extender called a Kneesaver. It shifts the pedal slightly away from the mid-line of the bike and widens my "stance" on the bike. I'd noticed that I felt my ITB mostly at night when I slept on my side and the op leg crossed the mid-line of my body. Ergo, I figured if crossing the mid-line made it sore, then keeping it away from the mid-line would help.

Total horse puckey, of course - but in my case, it put me back on the bike. I started off slow, though - 10 minutes for a couple of days, then 15, and so on. I'm just now into road trips for short durations.

Oh! and while it was actively painful, I avoided the bike like it was a plague machine.

Best of luck with all this! I know continuing pain will totally mess with your head something fierce!
 
here is no PT that will help, I can tell you that. The only things I've found that really helped were a cortisone shot and/or Acupressure massage
I know you cant predict the future, but with treatment will it likely resolve over time? or a permanent problem? Because it really impacts my ability to walk.
 
Back
Top Bottom