Guest viewing is limited

THR Finally on the other side!!!

it's only a day awayyyyy!

Now I've got that song stuck in my head!:umm:

Please try not to project this early out, dear Dracia.
Lots of wrenching and such to get that new hip in there.
Heading hugs coming your way!:friends:
 
Hi @Dracia
You are in the infancy of your recovery. Such early days. You're going to experience
many different sensations and feelings of discomfort. If you're getting your staples out tomorrow,
talk to your OS, or the PA who removes your staples. Express your concerns allowing them to offer you some reassurance. Best of luck with your appt tomorrow and a Happy 4th to you also!
 
Staples are GONE! Doc said I could even remove the steri-strips if I wanted because the incision looks very well healed.

I asked her about the pain, and she said in her experience the younger people have hip replacements the more pain they have. She said this is because we want to get up and go instead of rest (who? me? never!). She repeated the BoneSmart motto of, "hips heal very well all on their own," and PT is rarely needed. However, she suggested PT for me because my mechanics were so "screwed up" (her term) preop. She thinks it'll help get my muscles functioning properly. So, I'll be starting PT in the upcoming weeks. Overall though, she said I shouldn't be concerned about the pain I'm experiencing. Just my body relearning how to function. If at 8 weeks I'm still hurting, then I can start to worry - but not before.

I asked about transitioning to a cane and she laughed stating I might as well be on a cane with how I'm using my crutch. Apparently, I'm doing more than my 25% weight restriction (Oops!). She doesn't think I've hurt anything, just putting unneeded stress on Genesis which may be a contributing factor to the pain. So, I'm going back to two crutches for 2-3 more weeks and then transitioning to a cane. If I take it easy now, she says I'll be much better off 6 months down the road than if I push it. Thankfully, she was kind enough to give me hydrocodone to help me sleep at night, thank goodness.

It was so wonderful to see her. My ortho doc has been on this journey with me for almost a decade! I don't see my surgeon for another 6 weeks, so it was helpful to check in with her.

Moral of the story: Just because I CAN walk, doesn't mean I SHOULD.
 
That's awesome my sweet ~
Slow and steady wins this race! A little PT and a bit of walking with LOTS of rest, ice and elevating is what my motto (and my surgeons) is....hips heal on their own...strength will come back in time so be safe, be gentle and take it easy....be kind to yourself ~
Sending lots and lots of positive healing vibes to you right now!
 
Moral of the story: Just because I CAN walk, doesn't mean I SHOULD
Where have I heard that before?:)
Glad you got good report!
The PT can be helpful with gait training and un-learning bad habits from bad hips.
Listen to your body and you will do great!
Hope you're having a good day.:happydance:
 
Mojo says that!
And if you listen you'll soon be doing this, just like her > :chuckmarch: It will be well worth it.
Thanks for the update. I hope you can sleep peacefully.
Happy 4th to you!
@Dracia
 
Thanks guys! Your comments made me smile. My doc must have been channeling you, @Mojo333! Lol.

It is certainly a relief to know all is well. I'm glad I insisted on seeing my ortho doc rather than my primary doc. Now just 6 long weeks until I see my OS!

PT is scheduled for July 16th, so I'll have some more healing time under my belt before I start retraining those pesky muscles.

Thanks for being my soundingboard through all of this! It truly helps.
 
So, apparently artificial joints can make a "popping" sound? I accidentally bent more than 90 degrees and a sudden "pop" came from my hip. Scared me half to death! Hip seems okay, but increased lateral pain all the way down to my knee. Anyone else ever experience this? Waiting for a call back from the doc just to ease my anxiety about it. I dont know if he'll be able to tell me much without an x-ray, but who knows.

Anyone else have their new hip make a popping noise?
 
Not me, but have heard of it several things on forum.
No ill effects that I can remember.
Would be concerning, I'm sure
 
Doctor never got back to me about the popping or my Warfarin levels. Odd they didnt call on Thursday like they usually do after my blood was drawn. It was supposed to be my last blood draw, but I was given no further instructions on whether to switch to Aspirin or continue with Warfarin since they didnt call back. =/

Not so much concerned about the popping anymore, but in the moment it was scary! I still have some outer and lower knee pain, but pretty confident that'll heal with time. Did quite a bit of walking on my 2 crutches today and somehow pulled/strained a glute muscle on my operated side. I dont notice it when I'm sitting, but when I move I sure do! Lots of icing and sitting is on the agenda for me the next few days. On the plus side, I really dont have any groin pain! Occasionally some groin soreness, but I can tell it isn't anything permanent. Such a relief to be able to recognize it as muscle/soft tissue/"normal" aches and pains.

I think I've hit the recovery "wall," so to speak. No huge improvements lately, feels like recovery has stagnated. However, just because I dont see progress and healing doesn't mean it isnt happening. It's just hard to keep reminding myself of that!
 
Sounds like you are being very smart about things..and you know what my favorite recovery representation is...
[Bonesmart.org] Finally on the other side!!!

I too felt like things stalled out after 5 or 6 weeks...I AM short they didn't get back with you with your concerns. Hope today is a better day!:) :-) (:
 
I love that picture! It is SO true!

Today marks 3 weeks postop. If I've come this far in 3 weeks, I'm excited to see what 3 weeks from now will look like! Hopefully my leg muscles continue to get stronger. I KNOW my arms are stronger because they're crazy sore from crutching around. Lol. At least that means I'm doing things right and keeping most of my weight off the hip.

Still a little jealous of all the anterior approach folks doing leaps and bounds by this point though! Lol.
 
My friend who had THR before me said she was on the golf course at 6 wks and assured me that I would as well. That will be a real accomplishment as I've NEVER played golf! :heehee:

I hope you have a fantastic week! You're doing great! Patience is the key!!
 
Anyone else ever experience this?
I rolled over on my op leg by mistake one night, and felt/heard it. I was split between alarm and calm, clinical interest at the sheer coolness of having such high tech parts. Pretty quick I decided a) my femur didn't subsequently go walk-about in my abdomen so no biggie, and b) don't do it again.

Still a little jealous of all the anterior approach folks doing leaps and bounds by this point though!
Not to worry - they're faking it!

Signed: a fellow butt scar bearer.
 
Not even a month out... I agree you are doing very well.:ok:
Don't compare...no way of verifying AND can be dangerous!:umm:
 
You are doing fabulous. We all have our peaks and valleys and recovery is a journey. I am at 4 weeks tomorrow and some days are better than others. I am actually going to attempt a little work today. Hang in there and keep us updated.
 
You guys are so wonderful, always putting a smile on my face! :)

My literal pain in the butt is becoming obnoxious. The pain is on the outside/middle of my butt, near the incision. Rather sharp pain. I rested and iced all day yesterday and the vast majority of today, no improvement. It bothers me significantly when I try to walk. Anyone have ideas on what muscle/tendon/whatever it is I messed up? It came on relatively suddenly when I was crutching around, dont think I turned funny or anything. Wondering if there is anything I can do aside from rest and ice it.

@Josephine maybe you have some guidance? The pain is located around V-L2B on the chart you often use. I'm worried about it.
 
Last edited:
Just dropping by to update...

4 weeks post op! Had my first PT session today and she said I wasnt limping with one crutch, so we tried a cane for the very first time! It slowed me down substantially, but I didnt limp with the cane either! I literally almost started crying, but laughed uncontrollably instead. It is so hard to believe I'm not limping, even WITH butt and incision pain. I'm excited for what the upcoming weeks will bring! My physical therapist emailed my OS to see if I can be more than 25% weightbearing. Not holding my breath, but I really want to start practicing more with a cane!

Still a LONG way to go, but moving in the right direction.
 
Isn't it amazing!:wowspring:
I remember also thinking...hey, this actually worked !
Just have to get through this temporary recovery mess.
Healing up from surgery with a perfectly wonderful new hip!
Very happy for you!:yes!:
 
Happy Four Week Anniversary!
Congrats on getting comfy with the cane.
Take it easy during your PT sessions and don't forget to ice preventatively afterward.
Best of luck as you continue moving forward!
@Dracia
 
Back
Top Bottom