THR Finally on the other side!!!

Heard back from the doctor and I was able to take my hip diaper (as I like to call it) off today! Hooray for another milestone met! Feels very freeing to finally have it off (even though it has only been a week).

I've been decreasing my pain meds because the doctor won't give me a second refill and I don't want to run out. I'm actually doing okay without them during the day for the most part. I'm finding that I struggle the most during the night and immediately when I wake up. I had to take an oxy upon waking because it was SO painful and very stiff. Any tips for preventing log leg and stiffness through the night? I'm still unable to get in and out of bed by myself because I can't lift my leg, but I know it's still early days.

I'm getting around very well with one crutch. However, if I ever leave the house I bring my walker because the crutch gets slippery in the rain. Showers are getting easier, slowly but surely! I continue to ice and elevate religiously. Next week I get my staples removed. I'm very excited to see how I progress in the coming weeks!
 
No advice on the log leg, but I had better results on pain with NSAIDS (Meloxicam) and Tylenol than I did with oxy - NOT a recommendation! (Not everyone's tummy is open to the NSAID experience.) But it did help getting thru the night - with oxy I took one a midnight, then invariably woke up squirming around 4am and had to take another one, and wait an uncomfortable 30-50 minutes for it to kick in. Boo!

Other than that, sounds like you're killing this! Love your attitude towards the whole thing!

Are you fan of Pokemon the card game, the animation, or the online app? (My wife and it were hooked on the animation years ago, and went thru a big app phase a while ago.)
 
I definitely relate to the squirming through the night! But even THAT is hard because I dont want to move wrong and dislocate my hip! lol. The doc will call me again on Thursday to talk about my Warfarin levels, so maybe she'll have some ideas on getting through the night. I'm definitely one who has to avoid NSAIDS. Before we understood my hip issues I took too many too often and inflamed my stomach. Not fun!

As for Pokemon, I've always been a fan. Growing up I collected the cards and such, but now I just play Pokemon Go. :)
 
Can you twirl the ball one-thumbed and spin it into your prey for extra points? Never could master that.

Also might be worth checking with your regular doctor, if you have one. He might have some options to try for pain.
 
Use your finger instead of your thumb :) Much easier.

And I was thinking about asking my doctor, I was just afraid it would look like I was "drug seeking."
 
Not at all! She's familiar with what's worked on your pain before the surgery, and might be able to suggest something non-opioid.
 
Hi Dracia a lot of doc's right now aren't prescribing as many (due to current opioid issues...don't know if that's whats happening with yours) that being said, you shouldn't have pain ~ think about what @Bone-obo noted...it's a matter of what works for you!

My perc totally worked and I didn't have to take much at all (was on it for two weeks solid) but other kinds don't, they make me "loopie and sick".....so maybe it's a matter of finding the right drug for you ~ kills me that you're in pain, I hope you get relief soon ~
Sending lots of healing vibes to you today ~
 
Good Morning Dracia~
Sooooo I have a little song for you today ~ ....hope you like it : )
"We're All In This Together" by the Sam Roberts Band
Hope this helps get you're grove on and you're feeling better today!
I also posted a "PT workout play list" for fun! Bottom of pp.2 of my thread ~
Sending big hugs to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 9: New milestone reached! Got into bed all by myself! Evidence that I'm getting stronger, little by little. Feels so good! I couldnt believe that I finally lifted my leg all by myself, with no aid! Getting around primarily on one crutch now. Hard to believe that my biggest pain complaint is the incision itself (icing lots!); I hope it stays that way. Lol. Some groin pain continues, but I'm sure that'll decrease in the coming weeks/months. When did your guys groin pain finally stop? Just curious.

When im without shoes I can definitely tell my surgical leg is longer. Not sure if the swelling is still going down and if it'll feel more normal or but, but either way not a huge deal. I have a 5mm lift in my shoe that seems to reduce how noticeable it is, to me anyway.

I'm so excited and looking forward to the day I get to take my first steps unaided, even though I know it's a long ways off. Still being extremely cautious as to not dislocate it or push too much. But in all honesty, I feel best when I'm moving - or at least standing. Likely due to the posterior approach and discomfort with sitting on my incision. Haha.
 
Sleep is the very best thing to heal faster. Posting at 2:23am probably isn't best for healing. Hope you are getting enough rest.

As for groin pain, mine didn't start until around week 3 and I still have it as I approach week 6. So it's different for everyone. One thing is common for all, for groin pain to go away you need to rest.
 
Hi Dracia ~
So great to hear you're feeling a bit better and are stronger today!
I have a little groin pain when I "over do" it, even now that I'm 7 weeks post op today!
It only gets better moving forward ~ ice helps me a LOT and lots of rest rest rest...
especially when you're hurting : )
Sending you positive healing vibes today ~
 
Last edited:
Great news! I was the same..all of a sudden , I was able to move along. Feelin' good.
This is my experience. I started to get more independent and a bit of a "Big Shot". Doing stuff I should not be doing . I like to say , a mind /body disconnect. The brain say, go head, and then , I pay the price.
The operative word in my life is Balance.
As much as I want to think differently, I have to go at the pace my body is telling me.
And that' s OK.
Sending good thoughts to you.
 
AnnieRose2, after reading your post the song "Mr Big Shot" got stuck in my head. I think that's my theme song now. Lol. But, you're absolutely right about needing to find balance and let my body heal despite my brain wanting to go-go-go! My husband is my constant voice of reason, reminding me how early I am in recovery and that I still need to slow down despite my excitement. Probably one of the hardest parts about recovery is putting on the brakes!
 
I have another little song for you ~
"Everyday Is a Winding Road" by Cheryl Crow : )
Happy Listening and sending healing positive vibes to you one song at a time : )
 
It has been a rough 24 hours. My hip is fine, but my SI joint is killing me. I think it's so irritated because I sit more on my back due to having the posterior approach and sitting being difficult. I've hardly had any sleep, but I'm icing and taking pain meds. I expected hip pain, groin pain, incision pain, etc....but this pain kind of creeped up on me and took me by surprise! I can't get comfortable to save my life.

Suggestions appreciated if anyone has ideas!
 
Also, is it 'easy' to loosen the prosthesis? I'm 25% weight-bearing, and my husband keeps freaking out because he thinks I'm putting too much weight on it. Still using one crutch or using countertops to offset my weight if I'm just turning or walking a step or two. I think his paranoia is infectious. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong to ruin my perfectly new hip.
 
Also, is it 'easy' to loosen the prosthesis?
Short answer - No! These implants are very tough. Many surgeon impose no weight bearing restrictions post op. Just keep doing what you are doing. You are fine!
 
Thank you, Jaycey! That is such a relief to hear. I think I got a little worried now that I'm feeling a bit more groin pain. So glad to hear these implants are tough and that I can't easily mess it up!
 
Two weeks post op!!! I probably sound silly, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be better off or worse off than I was preop. Maybe it's odd that I never really thought about it before until now. I continue to have groin pain 24/7, icing doesn't seem to help like it does with the incision. It makes me nervous despite it being early days. I just keep thinking, "what if this is it, if it gets no better than this." I'm actually kind of scared. The pain feels similar to how I did preop, but I could at least get the arthritic pain to calm down at times. =/

On a lighter note, staples come out tomorrow! tomorrow! ...it's only a day awayyyyy!
 
Back
Top Bottom