TKR Finally found a new surgeon

@skippyhak
Thank you very much for your encouragement, I am at 9 weeks as of today (Wednesday) and my Dr will not give me any pain meds, so I’m having to just take Ibuprofen, I do find the more I rest the better my knee feels, but it does get stiffer the longer I sit, however I can only bend my knee about 95 degrees, so I know it will be a long road.
Thanks again.
 
If you can take Tylenol (acetaminophen) I find it to be a much better pain reliever than ibuprofen which is primarily for inflammation. Also, my OS was extremely tight with Opioids such as Percocet (2 weeks!) - but he regularly refilled a script for Tramadol. Taken in conjunction with Tylenol, it worked very well. Just a thought for you regarding pain relief. But... ice does a wonderful job as well!
 
@jaschembra , thank you for that suggestion, I am starting to have a “clicking” in my knee when I walk, is that normal?
I stopped the aggressive PT ABOUT 4 Days ago”per suggestion” from people here on this forum, and the pain is a lot better, I have always been very active, but this past 9 weeks I have been going crazy just setting in the house watching TV, I started walking a little bit with my friend that lives across the street from me, and that helps the boredom somewhat. I’m going to have to have TKR on my other knee “some day” not anytime soon:flabber:
don’t want to go through this again until I just have to.
Well I’m starting to ramble so I will close for now.
Thanks again :thumb:
 
Last edited:
Clicking is normal. It might come and go. It might come, stay a while, and eventually go away. It might never go away. But it’s normal and lots of people have it.

Each of my knees clicked/clunked at different stages of healing. At this point neither makes noise. But they could start up again at any time. Nothing to worry about. :)
 
Yep, clicking, maybe even some clumping is completely normal (as long as you don't have any pain associated with it). When I ride my horse, my knee clicks with every step sometimes. And sometimes it doesn't - like on my trail ride Sunday - but I'm thinking maybe my mind was distracted from the clicking.

Soon you'll be getting out more and more. Your energy will slowly build back up and you'll be able to incorporate more into your day. However - word of warning - be careful you don't feel really good one day and go crazy with doing stuff! You'll pay for it that night. It's called the ODIC. "Over did it club" We all become a member at some point in time. Walking is good. I'm glad you've eased up on the aggressive PT.
 
@jaschembra
@SusieShoes
No pain with the clicking/clunking, but it is very loud :rotfl::heehee:
I really appreciate the both of you replying back to me.
Will report tomorrow.:thankyou:
 
I still clunk! I hear it inside my head, but unless someone bends down to my knee level, no one else hears it. It's no problem at all.
 
I am at 9 weeks as of today (Wednesday) and my Dr will not give me any pain meds, so I’m having to just take Ibuprofen, I do find the more I rest the better my knee feels, but it does get stiffer the longer I sit, however I can only bend my knee about 95 degrees, so I know it will be a long road.
Ibuprofen is primarily an anti-inflammatory (NSAID), not a pain reliever. Gram for gram, it's much less effective at dulling pain than Tylenol is.
In addition, Ibuprofen increases your tendency to bleed and it can cause catastrophic bleeding from your stomach. Never take it on an empty stomach and stop taking it if you have any gastric symptoms. A new study has shown that it also increases your risk of developing heart problems:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

If you take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) regularly and in an effective dose, it is a good pain reliever.
The correct therapeutic dose is 1,000 mg four times daily, to a total of 4,000 mg in 24 hours. You need to check that there is no Tylenol in any other drugs you're taking. If there is, reduce your doses, so you stay within the safe daily total.
I am starting to have a “clicking” in my knee when I walk, is that normal?
As others have said, that is normal. This article explains:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
Clicking and clunking completely normal. Welcome to our percussion section!
 
I am "with" @SusieShoes, in that I worried that people would see me as "lazy" if I accepted help and lolled around with ice packs and such. Someone here referred to the elevation and icing as our "work" during the healing process. This idea helped me make peace with the inactivity. You're actually doing a very hard thing, as you noted regarding your boredom, when you elevate, ice, and rest. Also, my experience tells me that you are giving people opportunities when you accept help. Once upon a time, small communities of people pitched in daily to keep everyone's lives humming along smoothly--from communal barn-raisings to mutual kid-minding, to impromptu potluck suppers. Unless you are very lucky, this communal life has been all but erased for most of us. So when you allow people to pitch in and help you, you are satisfying a strong human need for connections. Being of service is very satisfying. Just look at all the "regular" people who have pitched in and helped during the recent disasters!
 
@Celle
@phrog @Polkadot
Thanks for all the good information,
I went to the YMCA this morning and swam in the pool for about 45 min, came home and walked with my friend across the street for a while, and cleaned house for my wife (she was at work) and I’m just about spent for today, :tiredwheel:ready for some “ICE”
Thanks to all for responding to my post, it means a lot.:happydance::dancy:
 
sounds like your stamina is improving with that activity: swimming, walking and cleaning house. i'm sure your wife appreciates your efforts. that was a good idea to ice and hopefully elevate after a good day of exercise.
 
Sounds like a big day @Mr Gary. (A big day in the post tkr recovery world, anyway. :wink: ) I think you're in that stage where we start testing just how much activity we can handle. I hope you had a good evening with some ice and rest and are no worse for wear. If it was too much, no big deal, you just scale back a bit next time.
 
@liam2015
@kneeper
Thank you for your response to my post, this is Monday morning and the Knee is pretty stiff, a lot stiffer than the past two days, I will be at 10 weeks on Wednesday, wow what a roller coaster ride this has been, one day I say” man I’m doing great” then the next day I say “ wow I think I’m starting all over with my ROM”.

Is this normal?
I don’t want to just sit back and do nothing, but I just don’t want to push too hard and be in so much pain all day ether.
I guess I’m in A hurry to get back to normal, at almost 66 you can’t waste a lot of time, if you know what I mean.
 
I understand the rollercoaster thing. I wish we had a rollercoaster cartoon to post! I bet it would get used all the time. According to my experience, it's normal! And at 64, I do understand your impatience to get back to all the aspects of a full life. The paradox is that the more we push, the more we may set ourselves back from that recovery. Frustrating, eh?
 
Yes, impatience is always with us. It's a little devil on our shoulder whispering that we're not doing anything. But we really are doing something! We're the fierce guard dog protecting our knee from excessive demands. We're creating the circumstances of our recovery: time for the body to do its healing work (though we cannot see this work, we can feel it as the body is draining all our energy trying to fix itself), and making sure we have the best tools to help the body (icing, elevating, nourishment, hydration, pain meds). Pain stresses the body, so reducing it is super-helpful to healing also, and not just our comfort.

Can you find something more mental than physical to do? Map out a project? Research something like a vacation or move, or how to repair something once you're back up to speed?

By creating optimal healing conditions, you will get back to normal faster than if you spend a lot of time recuperating from having aggravated your knee. Two steps forward is better than two steps forward and one back. :snork:
 
@Mr Gary - roller coaster is a pretty good term for it - it's also a balancing act. It's hard to figure out how much is too much and how much is not enough. At 7-1/2 months, I get it wrong all the time. It's always a good idea to take a day to let those muscles heal and do their strengthening when you've pushed them a little farther than they wanted to go. :ice:
 
@phrog
I just won’t learn my lesson, I just can’t sit still, I really need Prayer, those of you out there that believe in Prayer, please pray for me that I will just take it easy.:hissy::no-fin::gaah:
 
Will do!

When you rest, which is hard for you, think of it as working hard to give your knee the healing rest it needs.
 
Back
Top Bottom