Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

I'm glad the OS gave you a good report. I hope the labs show everything is going well and you keep progressing smoothly from this point out.
 
The OS opinion is what counts in his case. Confidence in your docs in this situation is so important.
 
Confidence in your docs in this situation is so important
Hi Karri,
I know, I have such confidence in them. I saw one of his PA's today and had to tease him about his tattoos...if a pretty flower would cover my knee..hehehe! The clinic has a great team. I have 2 different surgeons one that did the TKA and the other took care of the fracture and the tendons, and 3 PA's between them. It was funny when I fractured the patella..had all five in the room checking out the xrays. With all the off the wall things that have been going on with me...they all check up on me when I have an appointment. I feel very lucky to have them:)

Is that your daughter in the picture with you? Beautiful picture of you both I was so happy to get a daughter-in-law:) We have 3 sons so another girl in the family is great!
 
Thank you! I am a second mom to the beautiful girl, Ashley Kara. Her mother and I are best friends and when her mom was diagnosed with VIPoma (a form of pancreatic cancer) I stepped in to help raise Ashley along with her two brothers. My BF is doing well today and in remission, but she and her husband have shared their children with me. I even had a place of honor at Ashley's brothers wedding this summer, where the picture was taken.

I loved both my OS and ID docs. My OS insisted on seeing me twice a week until the infection subsided, then monthly, then every 2 months, 3 months and so on. He was so cautious and caring. I didn't even pick him! He was at the hospital when I was taken for the infection surgery. I did everything they both said.
At one visit a nurse commented on how good I was looking and said that Dr. P had been so worried about me. Every visit ended with a hug. He is really cute too! :yes!:
 
Glad you are doing well. The PICC line, IV's, restricted movement and pain 'will,all get easier. I have been doing it for a while. When they let me come home every one was so helpful, every move I made they were there. Now it seems normal, they get in my way. It isnot as bad as it was in the beginning. Adjusting to it helped me feel les afraid and everything became easier. I hope that goes quickly got you. You will find strength you might not have known before and it will stay



TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
October 29, 2015, knee replacement removed. Antibiotic Spacers in
Nov 3'. 2stage reversion began
Nov. 10 2015' debridement. New spacer, no weight bearing
 
@Steve4kids Thank you! It is taking a little getting used to having the PICC. I swear I was snagging it on everything and it itches at times. They are coming to take blood again in the morning (3rd time this week), they changed the Vancomycin dosage yesterday. Thinking about throwing some glitter on the infusion balls and hanging them on the tree:) I hope you are doing well!
 
If the PICC is snagging you can buy a sleeve to protect it or cut the foot of an athletic sock and slip it up and over the PICC site. Mine was up high and covered with long sleeves during the day, but for access I needed to take my arm out of the top or nightgown I was wearing. I did worry about pulling it in my sleep. But I was amazed at how painless putting it in was. The techs came to my transition unit room with a portable sonogram machine. I have a fantastic vein in my right arm, you can see it zig zag up my arm. The techs were so happy!
 
I like the athletic sock idea. They gave me net tubing..The elastic in it is itching. I also have it in my upper right arm. They added the extra tubing section so I can reach it comfortably. I don't normally like watching when they do stuff to me but this was very neat to watch. I never realized they actually thread it over to the chest area.

I am in my kitchen making my first batch of pumpkin gobs (whoopie pies) YAH!!!!!! Got the bar stool at the counter..even if I just do 1 batch I am a happy camper:) First baking I have been able to do.
 
Hi Peg! I've just been reading your whole story/journey and am amazed at what you have gone through! What a trooper you are. As I lay here icing my left knee that was TKR Oct. 26, feeling bummed that I still have pain swelling etc and then I read what you are going through! So happy you have a good support group and like your medical people. I wish you a speedy recovery and that you continue to keep an upbeat attitude which means so much. God Bless you and Merry Christmas! Bo
 
@boditty
Hi Bo,
Thank you for the good wishes. I hope you have a Merry Christmas too. I am also laying back in my reclining icing my left knee:) My pumpkin gobs were worth it. I was trying to remember when the knee was feeling good after the original surgery. I want to say it was just before I fractured it (felt good enough to be at the lake), so about 10 weeks. I know everything was going great with it. So hopefully you shouldn't have too much longer:)
 
Ecactly. Thanks for that remimder. My other knee started feeling better at around that time. Its just a darn long haul :) have a good weekend
 
Peg ,Well , I had my PICC line taken out today. . That sock idea is great.
The situations I would get into with that line can't be normal. I would get it tangled in my clothes, wrapped around my wheel chair wheel, forget I had it on and get up to go to the bathroom and pull me back, wrapped around my neck ,and ,caught in the refrigerator, and other doors car you name it I've snagged it.
They gave me a electronic one the size of a book, I would change the batteries and i would flush it and put the days med cartridge in myself. They would deliver 6 cartridges a week and I put them in the refrigerator. I had to call the nurse, who came by once a week to change the PICC line dressing and other things several times at first until I got used to it? I would drop it, it's real sturdy,and sometimes I would mess up the lines and it would be three feet, than other times it would be seven feet. It itched and drove me crazy than they had some transparent tape that was much better.....I'm scratching now, sooooo good. So she took it out in my living room today
Do you have one like this?
I got used to mine but it always itched and affected me, made me feel like I was really sick, which I was. It feels so good to get it off. I was itching all over , got a rash , went away
Peg , now they must have figured it's gone, hopefully not hiding , it means I get my new knee in Jan 28' they wait a month to see if the infection "Rears its ugly head" , Dr. Quote. Last time they put new parts in and a wash and 6 weeks , after the antibiotics it came back, that was after 8 weeks of Vacomycian IV. Cut out the parts and started all over. This time with Oxicillian. I think they did not test it to see what was most effective, that's why I got a new Dr., they put me on the Oxi after doing a culture ? It was a hassle but I got along ok once the weirdness of this tube going in me went away, boy , I sure feel free now, been out for about three hours and no pump, yessssssss.
Now I'm scared, (I'm always scarred now)' because it will be the fifth surgery since March. My poor knee getting cut again. But no choice, gonna smile and think of you and everyone in this situation.

I feel better writing this to you, not so alone. You seem to have a good humor, and the strength of a woman, I'm talking birthing strong, puts a man to shame. Good luck you, the days will go by and this will be almost forgotten. Many people said that to me for 10 months and they are right. You can do this and a lot more, you and your husband are going to gain by this.
Steve





TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
October 29, 2015, knee replacement removed. Antibiotic Spacers in
Nov 3'. 2stage reversion began
Nov. 10 2015' debridement. New spacer, no weight bearing
 
@PegGar16 i did some baking two years ago on IVs & imbolizer. Just a little at a time is the key. Also hosted Christmas Eve dinner as I traditionally do. Just made everything ahead of time, one thing a day. I glad the whoppies were worth it! I could go for one now with a cup of tea!
@Steve4kids i was so afraid of getting the PICC line, every time the nurses mentioned it my BP would sky rocket. When it finally went in there were two techs, one engaged me in a conversation about my job while the other threaded it in. Such wonderful nurses!
 
@Steve4kids
Hi Steve.
You got it out!! Outstanding!! I bet it feels great to get rid of the anchor. Now I hope everything goes smoothly for the 28th. I don't have anything electronic, just the regular line with infusion balls. They get hooked up twice a day and are small enough to stick in a loose pocket or in the shirt so I can still get around. The are a lot lot better than hanging a bag.
I read your thread last night..you have been through so much. This will be a great New Year for you!! Hopefully the worst is over. You have lots of prayers and positive vibes going your way)
Try to relax and enjoy the holidays..worry about the surgery next month--easier said then done:) Of my 4 surgeries only one was planned and I was scared for each. You know I trust my doctors and they have taken great care of me but there is always that little fear which I have been told is normal..Once I wake up I am fine:) Do you like your new doctor??
 
I traditionally do
Hi Karri!
It is funny how much we appreciate "normal":) Just being able to do that little bit of baking felt great. My husband came home and told me how great great the house smelled..he loves the Gobs. Wish I could send you some! My son is making his chili for Christmas Eve and my husband makes tamales. It is just being moved to my house this year. My daughter in law and I will do a ham for Christmas. She is getting her chance to do most of the work..I'm OK with giving up my kitchen this year.

Want to know whats wrong with this weather??? You still nice and warm? It is cold and damp here-my joints hurt. This is not why I am in Phoenix--LOL
 
"Silly Observation" You guys have it so easy...how hard is it to rush to the the bathroom and try to sit with an immobilizer and not pee on yourself...grrrrr. You develop the fine art of holding it:)
 
Peeing with an imbolizer is difficult!
I did let everyone else do the cleaning etc. while I sat in the chair with my leg up.
We are getting our first shot of really cold weather, it's 28 degrees, but back to the 50s Monday. Of course I have to do some shopping today in this cold.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom