Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

Hello all..thank you again for all he positive thoughts and prayers!
@KarriB it looks like I am following your route. I have been in the hospital on vancomycin since Monday when they went in and did the wash. A PICC line was put in today, they are going in again tomorrow for another antibiotic wash and exchanging the spacer. I should be heading home Friday afternoon or Saturday morning and doing the 6-8 weeks of he antibiotics with the Infectious Disease Doctor.
I know this sounds wrong but I am glad there is someone else that has gone through this that I can talk with...although I would not wish this on anyone. I am just feeling tired and worn out with everything that has happened. I believe this will put me back on track :)
 
Oh wow @PegGar16 I hate to hear that!
I too am glad you have @KarriB to help and support you, she seems to be very knowledgeable and very encouraging.
Prayers for you. Hang in there.
 
@PegGar16 words cannot express how those of us without complications feel when someone has a problem. It's tough to deal with it.
Just know people on here care and wish you the best in your treatment.
 
I'm not sure how I would have fared with taking out the knee for an antibiotic spacer, so I was very happy for the washout and spacer replacement. After 4 days in the hospital I was in the transition unit so the docs could keep an eye on things and went home after a week in there. A nurse came to my house to teach us how to use the picc line once a day. My OS put my leg in an imbolizer because he felt my soft tissue was compromised by the infection and washout, no bending for 2 weeks, which turned into 6 weeks.
I will tell you that when my staples starting coming out the seeping started again and did not stop for about two weeks. My OS considered another surgery for the antibiotic spacer, but we literally prayed out the infection. I did have a picc line and nurses that came weekly to change that dressing and take blood draws. I was very happy to not have to leave weekly for that as I was seeing my OS twice a week and my infectious disease doc once a week. I was also on an oral antibiotic that turned the fluid in my body red.
Please let me know what I can do to help or ease your fears. I'm usually on here in the am and again the evening. Lots of prayers for you.
 
Peggy, you are covered in prayer for your doctors to set the best course of treatment for you, for your nurses to be skilled in their care, for your husband to have peace as you go through this, and for you to be comforted knowing the hand of a MIGHTY God is on you.
 
seeping started again and did not stop for about two weeks.
I was wondering about that. I have a little rubber drain/pump thing attached to my knee at the moment. Even with all the antibiotics I am still having seepage.
I have to start getting ready to go...thanks again everyone!
 
While in the hospital and transition unit I had two drains. One had blood draining and one pus (sorry eew), but they both fell out after 5-6 days.
 
Hang in there. Your right hearing other people's story like ours helps, some are much worse and they did well. The infection , as others on this sight kariB, rest assured and more, really inspires and helps. I was scared, still comes back, but I reached a point I just let go of the fear. Theses infection can change your core for better or worse, so don't feel alone you can help someone rough this sight and that is a wonderful thing. It can be a blessing
Steve



TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
October 29, 2015, knee replacement removed. Antibiotic Spacers in
Nov 3'. 2stage reversion began
Nov. 10 2015' debridement. New spacer, no weight bearing
 
Good morning! I should be heading home this morning after the bandages are changed. Thank you for all the information that was shared. It was very reassuring to understand what the doctor is talking about because it was discussed in this forum:) They are hooking the IV up now so I will be here another couple of hours .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hopefully there will be a nurse sent to your home to teach you how to use the picc line today. You have to flush, clean with sterile wipes, etc. I also had a nurse come every week to clean the dressing and draw blood for labs. While the nurse was there she'd check my incision also.
Has your OS said anything about bending the knee? Mine wouldn't let me bend until things were looking better.
You'll be exhausted by the time you get home, so take it easy. On top of your body experiencing two more surgeries, it's also working to fight that infection. Try to eat as much protein as you can and rest.
 
I hope your journey home was OK and that you're now settled in, back at home again.

Do let us know how things are getting on. Best wishes.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your infection. I hope the infection clears up quickly. I'm glad you're able to go home to continue your antibiotics there.
 
So sorry to read this. It does sound as though you are receiving great care, so in sure there will be a positive outcome. Sending good wishes your way!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@PegGar16, I love the pic of your dog, I am sure he's a huge comfort! You really have been through an ordeal! I cannot imagine so many surgeries and dealing with the continuous setbacks. Dealing with infection is serious, glad your surgeon is on top of it. During 10 weeks in a rehab hospital, I met at least 7 people with infected knee replacements, and the all had Picc lines and harrowing stories like yours. Some had been battling infection 4-6 months. It truly is a draining experience and proper food is important. I will add up to my prayers. The people on the forum are great. Try and keep your mind busy, it helps to stave off the blues. Your surgeon seems to be very caring. It sounds like you've done a marathon, and one is still ahead. I also had surgery complications, but it pales in comparison to what you are going through. Stay strong and use the forums.
 
Hope you are home now so the big guy won't miss you anymore I am really sorry you are having to go through all of this. My prayers continue and give the Rhodesian a hug for me. I miss mine so much, but she made it until age 11.
 
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for the messages and prayers. My head is finally feeling clear enough to type a coherent sentence. I got home yesterday afternoon after they took out the drain and changed the bandage. They left a Pico negative pressure (wound therapy)bandage on it. The visiting nurse came last night to show us how to take care of the Picc line and hook up the antibiotics. My husband is feeling a little better about it now that he did it once on his own. They will be coming once a week to draw blood and take care of the dressing. I need to go see the doctor on Wednesday to change the dressing. My biggest battle right now is getting this pain under control. I have the leg elevated up on my recliner with the ice on it for 20 minutes at a time. There are times it feels like the ice is making it hurt more. I have .15 mg morphine sulf to take every 6 hours although it doesn't seem to last that long. Last night and today I have been taking it between 4-5 hours. I will talk to the doctor about that Wed. I have also been catching up on my sleep..I am just sooo tired.
Thanks for the suggestion for protein. I have gotten some more mix for the protein shakes.

Thanks again for helping me hold on to my sanity.
 
Peggy, you are in my prayers for a complete and swift healing. It can all be scary and confusing especially when you are in pain. I hope you can get that sorted out.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom