Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

If you are still in pain in the morning give your doctor a call. There's no reason to be in pain until your visit. I'm happy your husband is confident using the PICC line and you are home.
 
Hi Everyone!
I am happy to say that the pain is now under control:) I'm ok with the morphine every 6 hours now and take a couple of Tylenol at the 4 hour mark. I was able to get some work done (medical billing from home) while keeping the leg elevated and iced--only took one nap today which felt good. Now I am sitting here watching the Adele performance from NY and enjoying it very much. She is wonderful. Tickets go on sale Thursday for her August show here in Phoenix...put that on my Christmas wish list:) So nice to have an uneventful day.
 
@PegGar16 I must say you have a great attitude and that is a big part of the battle!
Happy to hear the big guy is staying close, they are such a big bundle of love! Would love to have another Rhodesian but they are so big I would now have a difficult time dealing with it. At the end my poor baby gradually lost the use of her back legs. She was not in pain but I would have to use a sling to get her up and down the stairs to use the bathroom. My big girl weighed about 100 lbs! So for now I will love on your Rhodesian vicariously.

Sounds like you are getting good care and great that your pain is under control. This will be a long haul for you but I hope you find this forum encouraging and very supportive. Helps tremendously to know you are not alone.

My pup was named Harley, what is yours called?
❤ Gerri
 
@Glamg1979 My son named him Spag and he is such a "big" bundle. I could never get another large dog either. Our last dog was a dalmatian that started having the same problems as your Harley and we had to pretty much carry her outside. Broke my heart but I could not see her struggle. Both our sons have dogs also so there is always a houseful. I love the way so many people show their pets here.

I have been very lucky and blessed with the care I've gotten. The Veteran's Administration covers my knees and ankles due to the original knee problems happened while I was in the Navy. With all the bad press they have been getting lately I have to say that I have gotten the best care from them for the last 30 years (I sound old now)

This forum has been just what I needed. The support is immeasurable and there are so many caring people...makes me smile when I need it most:)
 
Peggy- you are in my thoughts and prayers. Although it has been a rough recovery for you, sharing it with others is very helpful. It sounds like an infection can occur at any point in the recovery process. I agree that protein is crucial for your body to fight the infection.
Megan


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good Morning Everyone!
Just a funny observation as I'm sitting here getting my morning IV dose. I love to Christmas shop..looking for bargains, going to the stores with all the crazy people on Black Friday, just getting out and about during the holidays. I normally keep to a list and cash pay. Where I have been unable to do that this year I have discovered how easy it is to shop online...this could be dangerous:) All these sales..and so easy to pull out the credit card. I am keeping it under control...barely.
 
@Megan Thanks for the good thoughts. Being able to talk with others going through similar experiences, the pros and cons of things from our side (the patient) is so helpful. From what I understand infection can pretty much come at anytime and our artificial joints are a great target. I'm just thankful it can be fixed.

And along with my above post...My son showed me how he orders his protein mixes on Amazon for a great price:) Trying to get the whole body healthy these days.
 
I am doing the same with my Christmas shopping @PegGar16, have ordered everything online from Amazon. My problem is buying "just one more thing" or "the grands would love to have one of these". Think I have officially finished
Just wish I had ordered everything wrapped!
 
Two years ago I did all my shopping in line and it kept me sane, although I didn't always end up with what I thought I ordered (oxycodone). Since then I barely go into stores at Christmas, but did venture out this weekend (it was 68 degrees!)
 
LOL on the online shopping - it definitely is WAY too easy! I get miles for spending on my credit card, so at least when I spend a lot I have the (small) consolation of knowing I just got a little closer to some fabulous future vacation - and by then I will be able to walk as much as I want to see the sights! :egypdance:
 
Hi Peggy - just seeing your thread for the first time. Wow - you've been through a lot ! As one of the 'lucky' ones who's had a complicated recovery I know how frustrating it can be. You do sound so positive which is great but be sure you do everything to take care of yourself , especially when those inevitable harder days pop up. I found little things like friends dropping by with my favourite coffee really helped. Meanwhile, i do hope your recovery continues to go smoothly . Take care
 
Just wish I had ordered everything wrapped!


I hadn't even thought that far ahead..I normally make an evening of it; pile everything on the floor by the tree with some Kenny G and a festive beverage. My husband gets to see what what everyone is getting as we wrap. It is a fun evening for us. Looks like I will do the coffee table with warm cider...Kenny G will stay the same:)
 
Randi's right! This infection makes for a long recovery and having visits from friends made it more bearable. I also went to a friends house a few times to watch a movie, just to get out of the house. It was a short drive, just 3 blocks away, no stairs to climb to get in and a change of scenery was lovely.
 
little closer to some fabulous future vacation - and by then I will be able to walk as much as I want to see the sights! :egypdance:

I can't wait to be able to get away for the much needed vacation. I hate the thought of cramming my legs into a plane (even an aisle seat) so a cruise is sounding nice at the moment:)
 
As one of the 'lucky' ones who's had a complicated recovery
Hi Randi (another dog lover!!!) I honestly can't believe how much I have gone through with this knee, it was supposed to be a simple knee replacement (LOL). I helped my husband get through his about 5 years ago so I thought I was somewhat prepared (mentally) for it...but nothing like this. My mother teases me about never doing things the easy way. I am lucky to have a great group of friends and family who have teamed up to get me through this. Some one always comes through on a bad day. I have also found that this forum has turned into a gift, especially during my sleepless nights in the hospital. Even though I wasn't typing I could feel the human connection just reading (if that makes sense). The information that people contribute from their experiences helped me to not stress out when the delays hit...And then I have a 5 year old grandson who stood in front of me, hands on hips and very seriously asked me when my knee is going to be all better so I can take him swimming? I laughed so hard my stomach hurt (this was last week while I was in the hospital bed). Another big influence on my outlook on all this was working in the Veterans Hospital for over 10 years. That made me into a glass 1/2 full kind of person...it could be so much worse.
 
but did venture out this weekend (it was 68 degrees!)
68 degrees??? Enjoy it while it lasts! I am getting freeze warnings here in Phoenix tonight. Normally I would have my winter salad garden to worry about but didn't get to plant it this fall. Can't wait to get mobile enough to garden again:)
 
LOL on the online shopping - just got a little closer to some fabulous future vacation - and by then I will be able to walk as much as I want to see the sights! :egypdance:

Oh I so agree! I miss traveling so much!! Sheer bliss just to be able to walk around exploring without pain and a limp!
 
They're saying near 70 for Christmas here in Pittsburgh. I am not happy, I live here for three seasons (not a fan of spring) and so far we are just having fall but without the beautiful leaves which are long gone.
 
Just got back from the OS. He said it was looking good(his opinion)
[Bonesmart.org] Finally Finishing Up
. It got cleaned and a new Pico bandage on it. The labs taken for the Infectious Disease Doctor looked ok..they want to draw some more tomorrow. The knee is still in the immobilizer and hopefully the stitches will come out next week:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom