Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

Sooooo...I think the nerves in my knee are coming back to life. I am getting these screaming sharp pains shooting across the top of the knee. I'm trying to keep the knee relaxed but each time I get a pain everything tightens up and it feels worse..gggrrrrrrr. My pain meds and ice are not helping.

On a better note I should have the last of my stitches out tomorrow:)
 
I call them zingers. I'd get them while I was sitting teaching and my leg would move on it's own volition. Scary!
 
@KarriB
Zingers--that is a perfect descriptive name. It wouldn't be so bad but they hit when I am trying to relax the leg or trying to sleep. I try not to tighten the knee but it is difficult.
 
Just got home from the doctors. All the stitches are out and everything is dry:). First line of business is to cover the PICC and take a shower. Yes!!!! It is the little things in life


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:yay:Yes! Hopefully you have some cling wrap. I found it best to use two layers of it over the PICC line. You're gonna be all clean for the New Year!
 
I had an appointment with my OS and Infectious Disease Doctor together which was nice. Everything is looking great. The vanco and picc should be out on the 20th. The brace has been set to 30* so I can bend it a little and they are setting up the PT to start again. Other than a couple of scabs the knee is looking pretty good....No drainage, nice and dry!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Finally Finishing Up
 
Hooray!! That is great news :flwrysmile:. Your incision is looking good. I didn't have any complications and I wish my scar looked like that. Keloids :cry:
 
@Glamg1979 I am really happy at how it looks considering they cut it 4 times. I didn't think it was ever going to heal:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How wonderful to meet with both docs together! The scar looks great too! No drainage, two good words! When I started bending and got out of the brace my knee felt vulnerable. I wasn't taking any oxycodone after a while, but did take a low dose when I began pt before/after. It was stiff after being straight for so long.
 
@KarriB It really great having them both there. It makes it easier to accomplish when their clinics are next to each other. Although the Phoenix VA has had it problems over the last couple of years I have had nothing but awesome treatment with the doctors I have had over the years.
I noticed the aches starting yesterday with just bending it 30* and I am making a conscious effort to bend it with walking. I have been unable to use crutches this time around because of the PICC so I think the full weight bearing has helped with strengthening even while in the brace to immobilize.
The zingers are still hitting it hard at night. They wake me out of a dead sleep (which is still hard to achieve). I have some gabapentin left over from a neck pain problem. It didn't seem to work on the arthritic pain but I'm hoping it will work on the nerve pain. They only seem to hit me at night when I am trying to relax everything.
 
That's what I did, made sure I bent while walking. I had become quite used to walking straight legged, so it is a conscience effort to do so. I also had a board that I put beside my guest bed and used it for heel slides. It was easy to keep myself within a certain area and not bend too much.
 
@KarriB That is a great idea with the wood. I am back on the 30* per week progression again because of the tendon repair and don't want to push it too far. The OS had to repair the repair while he was cleaning it out. All the fluid was making mush of the tendon attachment.
 
To everyone out east stay safe with the storm they are showing heading your way.
 
So here is an update. Got the PICC Line removed yesterday. Had a little problem with a fibrin sheath forming on the end of it. The arm is still very tender today - I hope that is normal. I went to my OS today and saw his PA. He was feeling some sort of defect and has concerns with the tendon. I had some x-rays done before I left that he was going to review with my doctor. Got a call this afternoon that they want me back in a couple of weeks and do not adjust the brace to 60* or start PT........I'm staying positive:)
 
Hi Peggy - thanks for asking about me ( last week, I know! ) Work is all-consuming right now but I am continuing to feel better every day - fewer nights with pain, and more stamina. Still wiped out at the end of the week, but that kind of comes with the territory of working 50 hour weeks in a company full of young folks! Glad to hear the medication line came out and hoping everything from that will heal in time - you have certainly been through a lot. Here in the Boston area we are hoping to escape the worst of this weekend's storm for once! Hope all is well with your tendon and the knee in general.
 
@New England Librarian Happy everything is going well. I bet it was great not getting the brunt of the storm for a change. I was back there finishing up a program at Northeastern 2003-2005. My poor Arizonan husband had to handle the arctic freezes and near record snow.
Things are going slow but steady for me:)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom