Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

I was afraid of getting the PICC line each time, I don't know why , but I was very stressed. Taking it out was another story , they just pull,it ou slow.,first morning I woke with out one in a while.mfeels great.
You ladies have a great Christmas and enjoy your families.
 
The nurse pulled my PICC line out before I even knew what she was doing! Bam! It was out! What aggravated me was that I had the nurse come at 7 am to change the dressing, just to have them pull it out at 8:30am. But that was due to the white count problem.
 
@Glamg1979
I hope you had a great Christmas..here is the gang:)
[Bonesmart.org] Finally Finishing Up



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had an appointment with the OS yesterday. He removed the pico wound bandage and took out some of the stitches and put on some medi-strips. There is still fluid draining but he believes that that is being caused by the antibiotic beads they put in. I have to keep the leg immobilized and go back next week. I'm doing good with the antibiotics and lab tests 3 times a week........can't wait for 2016, I need a new year:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My incision began seeping again when the staples were taken out and continued for a few weeks. At one point I had a large pus bubble on my knee. It developed on a Saturday, my friends and family wanted me to go to the ER, but I didn't want to deal with an ER doc who thought he could fix the problem. By my Monday appt with the OS the bubble was gone, but seeping continued. It was bad enough that I was changing the dressing a few times a day. A few weeks in, my OS suggested wrapping the knee with an ace bandage then putting the imbolizer on, a week after that the seeping slowed down. Today is my two year anniversary of the seeping stopping. I woke up the day after Christmas with a clean dressing. Infection surgery was Nov. 27 and seeping stopped Dec. 26. Patience and prayers my friend.
 
@KarriB
Thank you! You are so right about the ER. I was there weds night because the Pico pump stopped working and the after hour nurse told me to go in. They had no idea how it worked. I asked them to take it off because I didn't want the knee marinating in a week old bandage. Took them 5 hours to finally get a hold of the OS and take it off. Over all I don't think the knee looked too bad.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No, it doesn't look bad at all (I'm one if those that doesn't like looking at incisions etc. mine was covered all the time with dressing or pants). There seems to be very little swelling, too.
 
I'm not normally one to look at that stuff either but these days I'm trying to be very attentive:) he swelling has been pretty good most of the irritation I'm getting is from having to keep it straight. At times the back of the knee hurts like I am hyper extending it..it gets iced a lot.
 
Your incision looks very good. I didn't have the problems you have had but I had bruising and pain behind the knee and kept ice on it all the way around it as much as possible. I hope the coming new year brings you a total recovery.
 
Peggy, I came to you thread to answer bath in a bag question. So when I was ready to wash I just told the aide and she prepared a bath in a bag. They brought two zip lock bags into the bathroom, one filled with warm/hot (depending on what you want) soapy wash cloths and another with just warm/hot wet wash cloths. You washed with the soapy and rinsed with the wet ones. I didn't realize how wonderful those were until I came home and still couldn't shower due to the seepy incision and had to wash in the bathroom the "old fashioned" way! My best friend offered to make me a bath in a bag but I didn't want to make more work for her. It's very cold to wash the old fashioned way in a cold bathroom! And I wasn't allowed to shower from Nov. 27th-Dec.27th!
 
@KarriB
What a great idea! I haven't been able to take a shower yet, hopefully this week. I do hate the cold bathrooms.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm not sure how they prepared the bags, but it definitely helped not be quite so cold. The winter I had my TKR was fondly called the Polar Vortex, which is why I spent so much time I the house elevating.
 
That's definitely great news Peg Gar16!! On the road to recovery!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom