THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you are lol! Thinking maybe I can sit in a chair at waters edge but not go in.

@Cynthia777 I'll bet you'll be just fine for your Del Mar trip.... Just look how far you've come so far! You're recovering by leaps and bounds so I can just imagine you in two months!! :surfer:

My sister moved to Westlake Village from Maryland (DC area) last year and I couldn't even think of making that trip to see her, but now I'm getting excited to think that in less than a year we'll be able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! (Showing my age here :heehee:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jillie422
I guess I'm not so innovative! Here are adapters to add for walking in the sand...
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey
    image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 202
@DeepBreath , that is my dream too, so happy for you.

I'm having to take intermittent 'hip breaks' (bet you all remember these) and so popped on BS as I wait for the hips to calm down :tantrum2:. I'm rearranging my yard, got new umbrella, etc so when my friends and family come to help post op they'll have a nice place to hang out. We're having amazing weather here and it's so pretty with all the trees, I'm about 15 minutes from the coast/beach which is another goal, walking in the sand without lurching forward :wink:

Thanks @Cynthia777, I love watermelon too!
 
@Horseshoe
How nice of you to setup a special place for your soon to be caregivers. The rearranging of your yard and the new patio umbrella will give you a nice place to sit outside post-op. Sitting outside really helps keep the post-op blues at bay. I get pretty stir crazy sitting in the house all day. I enjoyed sitting inside the first week, but after that I couldn't wait to get a change of scenery. I'm excited because I've got a big trip to the laundromat planned for tomorrow (king comforter needs cleaning). Can you imagine being excited to sit in a laundromat? :heehee:
 
@Cynthia777, all I want to do is to be able to walk unaided without pain or limp. I am in my late 60's and don't want to do any sports or any kind of vigorous exercise. My experience was like Jacey's, very few of the exercises I did in PT had anything to do with my hip. So that's why I will never do that kind of PT ever again. I know my new surgeons have definite ideas about PT, which seem to be much more conservative than others I read about on hip forums, which I like. I will do what the surgeons tell me to do, but will do nothing extra unless it is ordered in response to a specific diagnosis of something wrong. They have a PT department in association with their practice, and the directions for exactly what to do in PT come from the physicians. If you go to rehab, they send the written directions with you so that the PT done there is what the docs want it to be.

I think PT might be helpful if you are beyond the recovery phase for your bones and soft-tissue and want to strengthen further for whatever reason, for instance, if you have a sport you want to get back to and must have strength in certain muscles. Although perhaps just going to a gym and working out there would give the same result, if you know what you are doing.

@Krista , I found this post to be very interesting! I don't want to do exercises that will hurt me, but once I'm healed, I will have to work to get the flexibility back that I haven't had for over 20 years. Did you find that type of PT helpful, if you've done that? I was very interested in Josephine's response on my page, and hearing it reinforced again makes it even more appealing. I don't have the flexibility to sit with my legs crossed at the knee, for spreading my legs (I'll leave that to your imagination!!), or to sit cross-legged. I'd like to hear your experience!
 
@Cynthia777, yep, you've seen me through a lot of stuff, friend. :) Thank you and Big Hugs!
It's hard to say about PT. For the most part, my experience was very positive. My PT was kind and attentive and at first the exercises really helped me strenthen up my muscles to help with my limp. Also, the massage that she did was fabulous and helped to relax my tight muscles. Hindsight is 20/20 and now I wish I would have just told her that I wasn't digging the resistance stuff and that it was creating more problems than it was helping, and asked her in what other direction we could go. I find that I am progressing, but slowly. I'm okay with that. I can't help but wonder if I would get further...and do it faster...if I continued with PT. I'm still pondering. Mostly, it's about getting up off my rear end and just doing my exercises. :)
Like recovery experiences, I think everyone's PT needs are different. It sounds like you have great ROM and flexibility. A few short weeks of PT might help you with strength and that's a good thing. As always, it's about listening to your body.

@Horseshoe, you'll get there! :yes: I limped...badly...for several years prior to surgery. I honestly thought that if I were to ever walk limp free, it would take a lot longer than it did, and I actually really doubted it would happen at all.
The fact that it has happened is nothing short of a miracle to me and I am so grateful.
Hang in there! Good wishes are flowing your way for smooth surgery and wonderful recovery. :)
 
@Cynthia777 hope you had lots of fun at the laundromat??!!! I used to do it every summer when we washed the horse blankets in their designated machines.
I've really shied away from PT exercises that I was given. I'm still doing my Stamina exercises. My hip is almost pain free, but I feel it could do with some extra strength. Starting this week I'm going to go once a week to my friends house - she has a pool, I'm going to just walk in the water.
 
Hi, I am still having butt pain and my consultant says I have a lot of wear and tear in my back which I wouldn't have noticed before with the constant pain from the bad hip. Just a case of taking care how you use your back I think. I hope you keep improving. My husband is in a lot of back pain at the moment, has just had MRI to se if it's disc problem rather than mechanical. Good luck xx
 
Hi @shirleyH if you had the posterior approach,? butt pain is perfectly normal. i had really bad butt pain, but it's all gone now. I have chronic back problems too.
Just be patient honey, it's early days yet
 
Today marks 7 weeks post-op for hip #2 and about 4 months for hip #1.

Here is a list of the good and bad...

Good...
No incisional pain
Small incisions (around 3 and 1/2 inches long)
Buttocks pain has disappeared
No limp (if I concentrate on my gait)
Can sit in any position (legs folded under me, legs crossed and sitting Indian style)
Can paint and trim toenails (could do this by the second week)
Really good ROM
No swelling or bruising
More stamina (but still get tired on occaision)
Weaning off of pain meds (down to 1 and 1/2 a day)
Normal bowel movements
Emotional relief knowing both surgeries are behind me

Bad (although really just inconvenient)...
Occaisional muscle back pain after a day out
Mild stiffness upon standing and for the first two or three steps
Shorter strides than normal
Still getting up once or twice a night to bathroom
Witchy woman syndrome while decreasing meds
Boredom, boredom, boredom

I can truly say I'm happier than a bug in a rug on a cold snowy day and feel so blessed for bonesmart, our great moderators and all the friends I've made on this wonderful forum...oh yes...and for this miraculous technology available to those of us who have suffered through this life changing pain we experienced prior to our THR's! Hugs to each and all of you and may your days find you better with each passing day. :loveshwr:
 
Love your good news, and glad that your "inconvenient" list is so short! Hope those bathroom trips stop soon, that can't be fun. So terrific that the butt pain is gone and that you can walk without the limp if you concentrate. Happy for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom