THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
CC, the only reason I did them was because I still had that darn limp at 7 weeks, and couldn't balance at all on my surgical leg alone. So I thought that maybe it could help. The surgeon ordered it, and my insurance paid for it. I think, looking back, that they were a colossal waste of time, and could have even injured me more. I was quite good at never allowing anything that hurt me to continue. If I had pain afterwards from some exercise, then I stopped doing it. For instance, some of the going-up-and-down-the-stairs thingies made my knee hurt under the patella, the burning pain, like OA, so I had him alter them so that I didn't get the pain. I also had knee pain from wall slides, so stopped doing them. Working on the balance boards was just too much when the time got too long, so stayed on shorter time limits. Overall, while I felt good moving around and becoming more flexible, none of it ever helped my limp one iota. And, as gentle as I kept it, some of the stretching could have done more damage to my gluteus medius by pulling on it and just not allowing it to heal. I really don't know.
 
@Cynthia777 I have had PT for years for lower back issues. But I have to say that the PT post THR was a waste of time. Most of the exercises were not specifically hip related - more core stability which is lower back. I found that most PTs have a set of exercises that they give to everyone no matter what they are recovering from.

All that said, the only PT who helped me post LTHR did deep muscle massage. It hurts like heck when they start. But some of my muscles were so tight they were spasming.
 
@Cynthia777, all I want to do is to be able to walk unaided without pain or limp. I am in my late 60's and don't want to do any sports or any kind of vigorous exercise. My experience was like Jacey's, very few of the exercises I did in PT had anything to do with my hip. So that's why I will never do that kind of PT ever again. I know my new surgeons have definite ideas about PT, which seem to be much more conservative than others I read about on hip forums, which I like. I will do what the surgeons tell me to do, but will do nothing extra unless it is ordered in response to a specific diagnosis of something wrong. They have a PT department in association with their practice, and the directions for exactly what to do in PT come from the physicians. If you go to rehab, they send the written directions with you so that the PT done there is what the docs want it to be.

I think PT might be helpful if you are beyond the recovery phase for your bones and soft-tissue and want to strengthen further for whatever reason, for instance, if you have a sport you want to get back to and must have strength in certain muscles. Although perhaps just going to a gym and working out there would give the same result, if you know what you are doing.
 
I've had this experience with other ortho surgeries so when I get that itchiness I just reassure myself that it's the nerves regenerating and coming back to life.
Yep :yes: I still get that numbness and itchiness from time to time (had a bit of it this weekend actually).
I think it is because I am doing some new exercises in addition to my regular ones. I think they tweak formerly 'resting' nerves and there they go. Very interesting process, for sure!

@Cynthia777, it sounds like you are doing wonderfully! :) I'm sorry you're having the upper buttocks pain again. Strange transient pains just seem to go along with this recovery deal. The body has just gone through so much trauma and getting itself back to 'balanced' takes time and a few adjustment pains.
I agree about the two recoveries being vastly different. I think with me, initially, my first one was a bit more difficult because of my femur fracture. In the long term though, my second one has been a bit more...involved...because my bursa seem more likely to flare up with this one. Not sure why, but it is just that way. I do my best to listen to my body, ice, and not push it.
You'll get there, friend. :) I hope things are going well on the WBC count front and that every day sees you feeling better and better. Big *Hugs* :flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 - are you still experiencing 'butt' pain today? Is it keeping indoors - or are you able to be outdoors taking in the sunshine and breezes - and are you able to sit 'indian syle'? Side sleeping......how long until you were told you could? ~ ~ Hope each day finds some measurement of improvement. xxoo
 
@Nana2-8
I still have the butt pain (located near the tail bone), but it hasn't stopped me from getting outdoors several times a day. :-) The weather here is just beautiful today, mid 70's and a mild breeze.
I CAN sit Indian style (did it once), but not as comfortably as sitting that way after my first THR. I've been using my cane today instead of the walker which has been going pretty well. Tomorrow I see my OS and if I walk in with a walker he would be appalled (so I don't want to freak him out)! :heehee:
Side sleeping has been going well, but keep in mind that I had the anterior approach and had zero restrictions.
Thanks for checking in on me my friend, I appreciate it! Hugs!
 
Hi @Horseshoe!
If I'm not mistaken, didn't I notice you now have your surgery date for later this month? If so, are you excited or more nervous about it?
At this point I'm not doing any PT. I had the one home visit and he felt I didn't need any (much to Josephine's approval :heehee:). We shall see what my OS has to say tomorrow, but having seen so many experience chronic problems created by over zealous PT, I'm just going to walk for now. If at a later date I feel PT could be beneficial, I may rethink it at that time.
Thanks for checking on me! Hugs!
 
Peeking in to say hi! Sorry to hear about your buttocks pain.. more like sacrum/tailbone discomfort. It's a strange progression those first few months, weird little twinges and pings. As you well know and hey, you are still on the up side of the entire procedure..!
I hope you are enjoying your day.. :ice:
 
@Jillie422
Is your friends pain relieved by sitting? I have zero pain while at rest and would think if it were muscle spasms I would still have the pain while sitting. I'd be interested to know what your friend has to say about it. I know the pain isn't from overdoing it, as all I've done is walk (no PT) and I haven't pushed myself with the walking either. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Hi My Friend! How are you feeling?
Did check with my other post op friend today....she said that her spasms move between her butt and her thighs. Mainly when walking or standing in one place for a while. Her Dr prescribed muscle relaxers to ward these off...said they would continue as the muscles are healing. She had posterior approach, tho which I suppose could make the difference (?)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am laughing ! I not sure I am accurate with your location of discomfort but that will indeed keep you from saying butt. :heehee:
Glad to hear that you're feeling some relief!!
Will be interesting to hear what your Dr has to say about your progress. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 I am busy over here trying to stifle the obvious "pain in the butt" jokes, but you guys are not making this easy. :headbang:

I have some of that wandering pain/discomfort/soreness going on. However (trying to avoid using the word but) mostly just soreness at the incision.

Hope you continue to recover well, my friend.
 
Had my two week check up with my OS and all looks good. I have decided to change my surgeon's name to
Dr. Smiley Shrug. Every question I ask him is pretty much met with a smile or a shrug and on occaision a "hmmm", a nod, a tilt of his head or a shake of the head indicating no. Not a wealth of information! Oh well, I guess ignorance is bliss? I did ask why this hip had bruising and swelling, while my first THR had none. His answer...shrug. Was this hip in worse shape than the first hip...shake of the head indicating no. And so it went.

Today they removed my stitches (13 of them) and I am now allowed to shower (so tired of taking what my dad used to call "marine baths"). My Xrays look "good" and I didn't need the steri-strips that are usually placed on the incision once the staples, or in my case, the sutures are removed. The removal of the sutures was easy peasy and didn't hurt at all. He gave me a written referral for PT (3 times a week for 30 days) should I decide at a later date to ruin my recovery. :heehee:

Over the past two days I have seen improvement with the buttocks pain (sorry @CricketHip, as I assessed the exact location of the "butt" pain, I realized it's closer tho the upper center of the buttocks...I still think of Forrest Gump and smile when saying "buttocks" :snork:). I am still limping, but I'm hoping this is due to the post-op discomfort rather than an actual LLD...time will tell.

I have graduated to using a cane, however, I have a darling little cat who so enjoys running up from behind me and then stopping right in front of me (he wants me to pick him up, place him on my shoulders, so he can pretend he is a stole around my neck...God love him). This does have me a bit concerned, so I think I'll stick to the walker while inside and take my walks with my cane outside.

Several times a day, it will suddenly occur to me that both of my THR's are behind me, and I smile. I am so thankful that we have the technology today that has allowed all of us here on BS the ability to live a full and pain-free life again. Feeling blessed. :-)
 
And we all feel blessed to have you here with us...lending an ear, encouraging, sharing, .....just you, being you. Love your description of Dr. Smiley Shrug.....guess that's better than....Dr. Ugh! ~ Is there another Dr. you'll hear from the end of this week? Keeping good thoughts going. xxoo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom