THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh so excited to see how you are progressing. My ROM stinks but I am hoping that I can start doing some stretches that will help my improve. Really all I want to be able to do is turn my leg and foot enough to put on shoes! I second the boredom comment! Grin. Have a good day!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@Cynthia777 - What a marvelous update! You are doing so great! You have such small incisions. Mine are between 4 and 4.5 inches and I was pretty happy about that. Your surgeon is very good (even if he gives you the shrugging treatment.) The initial stiffness after sitting is something I still have, although it dissipates quickly with moving. At PT, they tell me that is common and will go away with time. Let's hope, right?
I'm curious what your surgeon recommended about getting dental work. Mine said I need 2,000 mg of amoxicillin every time I get dental work for the rest of my life! That seems excessive. I've been researching a bit online and there are conflicting opinions. Mayo Clinic advises against antibiotics, that there's little evidence for it, the staph that causes infections is rarely found in the mouth, etc. I had dental work and took the dose but it messed up my digestive system and I've felt a bit off ever since. It basically kills all the bugs - good as well as bad in your system. I've been taking probiotics but it's still off. Just wondering what your OS' take was.
Again, I was so happy to read your post. Keep going! You're a champ! :yay:
 
Thanks @Readysetgo!
You know, my OS never mentioned taking antibiotics before dental work, but then again, he's very lackadaisical! I have an appointment with him next Wednesday (I think it's 8 weeks), so I'll be sure to ask his opinion. I had all my dental work done prior to my first THR, but my six month checkup will be here before you know it. Because of the high WBC count I experienced with both THR's, I have been on a lot of antibiotics (for weeks on end). I eat two Activas every day and I haven't had any stomach issues. Since I have no problems with taking them, I'm of the mind to err on the side of caution. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks for checking in on me! :loveshwr:

Btw...how are you coming along my friend?
 
A great update, Cindy!! So very happy for you!! :loveshwr:
 
I confess that I read your update last night and this morning as I sat on the edge of my bed, I daydreamed of sitting with my legs crossed Indian style....it's been years since I could. I can't wait til I can again!
 
@MI Chickie
I think the reason I can sit Indian style so easily is because it's been my preferable way of sitting since childhood (I'm sitting that way as I type this). :heehee: My PT in the hospital said its the best way anyone can sit for ROM, so I just got lucky. Now ask me to touch my toes without bending my knees and I can probably reach my knees (I couldn't reach my toes even as a child)...go figure! :-)
 
(Heh, heh, heh......"what does the 'Don' mean under my name mean".....) Didn't I hear you are of Italian decent, CC? I think that means you are the HEAD "DON" !!!.......or.....maybe not!!! Maybe it means you've made a donation? I will vouch that you have 'donated' over and above!!! (heh, heh)
 
@Cynthia777 - "Erring on the side of caution" re: antibiotics before dental work is how I thought of it. And I didn't have a problem with the surgery's antibiotics, so I thought I'd be fine. (I drank kefir, a drink with probiotics and also took probiotics.) But tummy's still a bit off, have a slight yeast infection (been years since I had one of those) and now I have a swollen gland and sore throat. Maybe all just coincidences and not because of the huge dose of amoxicillin. Thanks for planning to ask your OS about it! I'm curious to see what he says. Maybe I need to drink more kefir or eat yogurt, too ...You're lucky your body is tolerating the antibiotics well!

In spite of those minor symptoms, I'm doing really well. Hips keep feeling better and better. Healing time just naturally does its job! My IT bands are still tight and I can really feel the left one when I go down stairs. But at least I'm not toddling down the stairs like I use to pre-op! Hey I'm taking those stairs like a grown up! And then there's the bit of stiffness in the morning and after sitting awhile that we both mentioned before. But it goes away quickly.

We went to a family reunion last weekend. Was supposed to take 5 hours to get there, but with NY/NJ Friday traffic and accidents, it took 8! Prior to surgeries that would have wreaked havoc on my hips and body. This time there was a bit of stiffness getting out of the car but again, it went away soon! Paradise! :wow:

I'm hoping the end of year busy-ness ends soon and summer mellows things out. Right now I'd like to trade a slice of my busy schedule for a slice of your boredom! I miss having time to catch up with everyone on BS and do some chatting/posting as well. It's funny - when I get overwhelmed, if I sit on my sofa sideways with feet up like I used to do in recovery, I immediately calm down, even if I'm working on a client's progress report or something like that.

Anyway, I'm so happy you're doing so great! I hope your check-up on Wednesday goes well, too. Enjoy your weekend, my friend! :flwrysmile:
 
@Nana2-8.....:rofsign:

@Krista.....Thanks! I've never seen that page before.

@Readysetgo.....I must have an iron stomach because on top of the 3 days of hospital antibiotics (both times), I have also been on two oral doses of antibiotics post-op (both times as well). During the oral antibiotics at home, I ate two peach Activas every morning. Actually, I'm very surprised I didn't get a yeast infection because in years past I would get one every time I went on antibiotics. It wouldn't hurt to add some yogurt to the mix. I most definitely will ask and let you know what he says.

You are so right, time is the key to this recovery. As I've mentioned previously, I've done no exercises whatsoever (bad me) and have just walked around the house and around my pool (sporadically). I really took Josephine's recommendation of just walking to heart and it has really served me well. I have regained most if not all of my ROM without any exercising. I do need to be more diligent with my walking, as I'm finding lately the walking really helps with minimizing the stiffness.

Wow! Eight hours in the car...yikes! I experience the exact stiffness you describe (only upon rising and those first couple of steps).

How interesting that you feel a calmness when you sit like you did during recovery! Maybe you enjoyed it more than you realize! :heehee:

Throwing you hugs and some of my idle time my friend! You have a great weekend as well! :loveshwr:
 
Yes, my PT said (before I ever dreamed I'd need a hip) that sitting criss-cross-applesauce *Indian style in grade school speak* :loll: is the test they use for healthy ROM in hips. I've never been able to sit that way comfortably for very long, although I could manage it. But, I could do a split, and touch the floor beyond my toes too! It's amazing the differences in the way our bodies are "flexible" or not. I never could master a simple cartwheel....go figure. :snork:
 
That is very interesting @MI Chickie. I could never do the splits or climb the ropes in school, but I broke the school record (junior high) in shot put the first time I tried it...:heehee:

Our bodies truly are amazing (when their working right). While I sit Indian style, I try and visualize what my bionic parts look like and am really happy that the parts swivel! :snork:
 
Now ask me to touch my toes without bending my knees and I can probably reach my knees (I couldn't reach my toes even as a child)...go figure! :)
It's so weird. I'm pretty sure I could touch my toes right now if I was allowed to try but even as a child I found sitting like that uncomfortable and I used to kneel with my legs sideways underneath me instead.
 
Just cruising through to say :hi: and thumbs up on a great progress report @Cynthia777 !

I have no problems touching my toes or sitting, legs straight and bending my head to my knees and stretching out to touch my toes....sitting indian style? I'm working on that now!:yes:

I'll be curious to hear what your OS says about the antibiotics before dental work. Given my history, it's a no-brainer. I think Dr.'s will dismiss it if they have no cases of infections with their patients. Dr.s with cases will give it more thought and perhaps see some value to it with no harm done.

On a side note, from one cat lover to another, I am foster caring a kitten right now.:kitty: I had two, one was adopted now working on this one. She is active, friskie and forces me move those hip flexors as I play, chase and care for her mainly in the morning and evening.:catbutterfly: I am out and busy most afternoons so she is getting used to being on her own and having a home to roam through.

Cheers to those swiveling parts! Keep them movin!:spin:
 
Thanks for stopping by my humble domain @keepmovin! :heehee:
Look at you out there traipsing about. You sound so good and I'm so very happy for you. I'm with you on the antibiotic issue. Although I'm going to see what my OS recommends, I'm still going to take them whether he recommends the antibiotics or not (I kind of have a mind of my own and I just don't want to chance things).

I just can't imagine fostering kittens because I would soon find myself becoming one of those cat ladies you see on tv! Last year we found a darling Maine Coon stray (he was about 8 or so years old), got him groomed, as he was full of burrs and then found a home for him. The day the new owners took him, hubby and I cried off and on for the next two days (we had only had him for a week)!

You take care my friend! xoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom