BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Standard shoulder replacement Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery recovery area' started by Jamie, Mar 1, 2019.

1. PJK65

PJK65 junior member

United States United States
    Hi Jamie, I was just checking in and wondering how you are progressing. I'm interested especially in how your range of motion is improving as that and strengthening, at least for me, seem to be the focus of PT. I'll keep watching your thread for updates, I really hope you are doing well.

2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Thanks for checking on me. I'm doing fine. Recovery is still slower than I'd like. But given that I didn't (couldn't) raise my arm above shoulder height for more than 2 years, the range of motion is coming along okay. I have the range. I can move my arm using the pulley or my good arm up above my head. But if I let go, I don't have the strength to keep it there. Using my scrawny muscles, I can raise it myself to just about shoulder height. I find I can go higher if I bend my elbow a bit, so I do that sometimes when I'm trying to stretch to reach something - just as an exercise. My therapist tells me to do any and all of the movements I want as each will work on and build different muscles. I have a lot of strength work ahead. I'm just starting to add some weights to my exercises.

I did accomplish a magnificent feat a couple of days ago. I had new ceramic pots to plant on my front porch. The old worn out plastic ones which were full of very wet soil and extremely heavy were on some of the lower steps. I was able to lift them carefully step by step so they were right next to the new pots. I needed to transfer the soil to to the new pots and was trying to make the job easier and less messy, so the closer the two pots were together, the better. So I'd say my strength for lifting and using my arm up to about waist height is totally back to normal. Whooo hoo! I pruned some rose bushes too with no problem. Soon I'm going to tackle pulling up tree saplings that have sprouted in one bed. That's what did my arm in about a month ago, but I'm thinking I'm going to be able to do that pulling motion just fine now.

• Like Like x 4
  3. PJK65

PJK65 junior member

Jamie, so glad to hear that you are progressing, do be careful with those saplings, they can be people!

4. Jamie

I had a bit of a milestone. I just returned back home from a week at my lake house. Because of my shoulder, I hadn't felt I could attempt the trip as there is a lot of work involved with packing up, loading the coolers and boxes in the car, driving 3 hours and then unloading and unpacking. But I hadn't been there since January and really wanted and needed to go. Lo and behold, I was able to lift the boxes and coolers into my Equinox just fine. On the trip down I loaded both coolers while sitting in the back end of the SUV. But coming back home today, I lifted those puppies and all was good.

My main problem remains being able to lift my arm above should height on my own. It's just not there yet and I do think it's going to take a while. All else is back to normal as long as I don't overdo any activity that calls for lots of muscle workout. That causes achy bicep muscles. I'm finding that all this reduction in my normal activity taking care of two houses and a dog has left my core weakened too. I need to get back to my trainer for some core strengthening.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wow Jamie - all that lifting sounds like a lot for a new shoulder. Well done! Slow and steady improvement as you predicted.

6. Jamie

Now if I could just fix my back that hasn't been used to lifting those coolers and boxes! Yuk. Getting older is not for sissies. Therapy tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what improvements I've made on my own in the last 2 weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

For the past few months I haven’t bowled as much as usual and this week I bowled 2 days in a row. My back doesn’t feel too bad, but I could definitely feel it last night. and in a different area, more mid to upper back. I was surprised, as that area hasn’t been bothered by my bowling before. It’s much better this morning, thankfully.

8. brs0660

brs0660 Sr Bonesmartie

Great job Jamie

9. Jamie

Thanks, Barb @brs0660.....I still have a ways to go yet, but I am pleased with how things are progressing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brs0660

brs0660 Sr Bonesmartie

It seems like all my pain spots are in rebellion. My back is awful. I need another cortisone shot but too close to surgery next week. My good shoulder is having sympathy pains. Oh well. We got this Jamie.

11. Jamie

You'll be fine. I hope your surgery and immediate post op goes as well as mine did. We've had several BoneSmarties who did very well after their shoulder was replaced.