Standard Shoulder Replacement Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder

Hi Jamie, I was just checking in and wondering how you are progressing. I'm interested especially in how your range of motion is improving as that and strengthening, at least for me, seem to be the focus of PT. I'll keep watching your thread for updates, I really hope you are doing well.
 
Thanks for checking on me. I'm doing fine. Recovery is still slower than I'd like. But given that I didn't (couldn't) raise my arm above shoulder height for more than 2 years, the range of motion is coming along okay. I have the range. I can move my arm using the pulley or my good arm up above my head. But if I let go, I don't have the strength to keep it there. Using my scrawny muscles, I can raise it myself to just about shoulder height. I find I can go higher if I bend my elbow a bit, so I do that sometimes when I'm trying to stretch to reach something - just as an exercise. My therapist tells me to do any and all of the movements I want as each will work on and build different muscles. I have a lot of strength work ahead. I'm just starting to add some weights to my exercises.

I did accomplish a magnificent feat a couple of days ago. I had new ceramic pots to plant on my front porch. The old worn out plastic ones which were full of very wet soil and extremely heavy were on some of the lower steps. I was able to lift them carefully step by step so they were right next to the new pots. I needed to transfer the soil to to the new pots and was trying to make the job easier and less messy, so the closer the two pots were together, the better. So I'd say my strength for lifting and using my arm up to about waist height is totally back to normal. Whooo hoo! I pruned some rose bushes too with no problem. Soon I'm going to tackle pulling up tree saplings that have sprouted in one bed. That's what did my arm in about a month ago, but I'm thinking I'm going to be able to do that pulling motion just fine now.
 
Jamie, so glad to hear that you are progressing, do be careful with those saplings, they can be people!
 
I had a bit of a milestone. I just returned back home from a week at my lake house. Because of my shoulder, I hadn't felt I could attempt the trip as there is a lot of work involved with packing up, loading the coolers and boxes in the car, driving 3 hours and then unloading and unpacking. But I hadn't been there since January and really wanted and needed to go. Lo and behold, I was able to lift the boxes and coolers into my Equinox just fine. On the trip down I loaded both coolers while sitting in the back end of the SUV. But coming back home today, I lifted those puppies and all was good.

My main problem remains being able to lift my arm above should height on my own. It's just not there yet and I do think it's going to take a while. All else is back to normal as long as I don't overdo any activity that calls for lots of muscle workout. That causes achy bicep muscles. I'm finding that all this reduction in my normal activity taking care of two houses and a dog has left my core weakened too. I need to get back to my trainer for some core strengthening.
 
Wow Jamie - all that lifting sounds like a lot for a new shoulder. Well done! Slow and steady improvement as you predicted.
 
Now if I could just fix my back that hasn't been used to lifting those coolers and boxes! Yuk. Getting older is not for sissies. Therapy tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what improvements I've made on my own in the last 2 weeks.
 
Now if I could just fix my back that hasn't been used to lifting those coolers and boxes!
For the past few months I haven’t bowled as much as usual and this week I bowled 2 days in a row. My back doesn’t feel too bad, but I could definitely feel it last night. and in a different area, more mid to upper back. I was surprised, as that area hasn’t been bothered by my bowling before. It’s much better this morning, thankfully.
 
Now if I could just fix my back that hasn't been used to lifting those coolers and boxes! Yuk. Getting older is not for sissies. Therapy tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what improvements I've made on my own in the last 2 weeks.

Great job Jamie
 
Thanks, Barb @brs0660.....I still have a ways to go yet, but I am pleased with how things are progressing.
 
Now if I could just fix my back that hasn't been used to lifting those coolers and boxes! Yuk. Getting older is not for sissies. Therapy tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what improvements I've made on my own in the last 2 weeks.

Great job Jamie

It seems like all my pain spots are in rebellion. My back is awful. I need another cortisone shot but too close to surgery next week. My good shoulder is having sympathy pains. Oh well. We got this Jamie.
 
You'll be fine. I hope your surgery and immediate post op goes as well as mine did. We've had several BoneSmarties who did very well after their shoulder was replaced.
 
Time for a shoulder update.

My movement and strength continue to improve, but still very slowly. I actually was able to get a plate down from the bottom shelf of the cabinet today. I expect full recovery to take every bit of a whole year.

I have stopped my therapy as of July 1 and will decide in a couple of weeks if I think it's worth going back one or two days a week in August. My summer is just too busy to allow for 3 days a week and I don't really know that it's some "do or die" thing I need at this point. I feel like I can work on my movement and strength myself, primarily with my activities of daily living. My "normal" involves a lot of movement and activity for my shoulders, and each time I use my left arm for something, I basically make it into a stretching or strengthening exercise by reaching and holding or pushing to go a bit extra. Sometimes I even make up exercises like putting the dishes up on the second shelf one at a time.

My scar is still fairly red but it has gotten very smooth and flat. The bumps that had been below the surface are gone, either thanks to Sarah's massage or just passage of time.

I can lift and carry normally - pretty much any weight I need to. Strength for movements at waist level and below returned quickly and are very good.

I'm tremendously happy with my new shoulder and think we'll have a great life together.
 
Your new shoulder sounds like it is settling in very nicely!
And your recovery report, as your previous ones, are both informative and encouraging.
 
Yep, I'm feeling very fortunate.
 
Congratulations Jamie! Sounds like you are making great progress. I think I am about the same as you. My physio is only 20 mins every 3 weeks and I think I make just as much progress working on my own.
 
We've been surgery buddies the whole way. Shoulder twins! I'm so glad your recovery is going well too.
 
Hey Jamie, I am with you! I graduated from Physio today. Thanks for being my shoulder buddy. Somebody else posted on my thread and you may not see my last post.
 
@SportHog.....I fixed the erroneous post in your thread. Next time something like that happens, click on the REPORT link at the bottom of the post. That makes a report in our administrative system and any of the moderators can get it fixed.
 
I met with my surgeon today and he took these xrays:
[Bonesmart.org] Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder
[Bonesmart.org] Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder


He was very pleased with my progress at about 6 months out from surgery. We agreed it was fine for me to have stopped therapy a month ago. And we agreed that I still had a lot of work to do to fully regain strength in my shoulder....at least another 6 months. I'm okay with that as I don't really think too much about the shoulder these days and can do pretty much what I want. But I do want to continue to work on the overhead strength and lifting above my shoulder height. Also, I noticed when they took the "extension" xray that my muscles were tight when I had to reach out to the side. So, I need to do that stretch more too.

I'm still always amazed when I see how long the stem is. I don't know why, but I just thought it would be shorter. But who cares if it works? Certainly not me.

My surgeon and I talked about the volume of shoulder replacements he's doing now. It has doubled this past year. And the increase has been so great that the practice just brought another shoulder surgeon on board to take some of the pressure off my doctor. It's just another sign of the success of this type of joint replacement and how many people are opting to get a more normal shoulder back.
 
Great report, that is one long stem, as long as it works all is good.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom